K390 Police 4 LW SE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: K390 Police 4 LW SE

Post by Evil D »

Well I got my periodic "we haven't forgotten about your order, we just don't have it to ship yet" email today.

After having to retire my Jumpmaster testing prematurely at work I'm now looking to the next adventure and this will be it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The serration pattern in the picture is interesting because it’s so different from typical Spyderedge. The ridges between the scallops have been flattened, which results in the far less spikey points. I did a similar thing when reprofiling my saber-ground SE Endura to 30 degrees inclusive, as a way to hasten the process. It still took me many hours on the CBN rods, but I got the wavy pattern I wanted.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bill1170 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:53 pm
The serration pattern in the picture is interesting because it’s so different from typical Spyderedge. The ridges between the scallops have been flattened, which results in the far less spikey points. I did a similar thing when reprofiling my saber-ground SE Endura to 30 degrees inclusive, as a way to hasten the process. It still took me many hours on the CBN rods, but I got the wavy pattern I wanted.

I'm not yet convinced that those pics aren't Photoshopped. It seems weird that one random model coming out of the same factory that makes all the other Seki SE models would be ground any differently, unless they're doing something different due to the hardness of this steel. I can understand a difference between how Taichung do theirs vs Seki, since they're two completely different factories. Hopefully they come as pictured.
~David
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:40 am
Bill1170 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:53 pm

I'm not yet convinced that those pics aren't Photoshopped. It seems weird that one random model coming out of the same factory that makes all the other Seki SE models would be ground any differently, unless they're doing something different due to the hardness of this steel. I can understand a difference between how Taichung do theirs vs Seki, since they're two completely different factories. Hopefully they come as pictured.
We will know when you or another forum member posts photos of their production example. What reason would anyone at Spyderco have to photoshop the details of serration geometry? We are a very specific and narrow target audience!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bill1170 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:29 am
What reason would anyone at Spyderco have to photoshop the details of serration geometry? We are a very specific and narrow target audience!

Seems like sometimes they mock up the photo before they have a production sample to take real pics of. I didn't mean that to sound like they're trying to dupe us over or anything like that, it just seemed really early for them to have pics of a knife that isn't available yet. Sal did say he's using one so maybe he's actually using the one we see in the catalog.
~David
JMM

Post by JMM »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:39 am
Bill1170 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:29 am
What reason would anyone at Spyderco have to photoshop the details of serration geometry? We are a very specific and narrow target audience!

Seems like sometimes they mock up the photo before they have a production sample to take real pics of. I didn't mean that to sound like they're trying to dupe us over or anything like that, it just seemed really early for them to have pics of a knife that isn't available yet. Sal did say he's using one so maybe he's actually using the one we see in the catalog.

Yes you nailed it, I started a thread about this very issue a few months back as it pertained to the SE Wharnie Delica4 being sold with stock image photos that showed very a different serration pattern, I will try and search after I've had some coffee. {-y-a-w-n-}
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

*crickets*

:straight-face

Knife Center wrote: Dear (Evil D),

This is a friendly note to let you know that your order is still in process. Rest assured that it is in good hands! As soon as your order is complete, it will be shipped right out.

**If part of your order is in stock and you would like us to partially ship, please let us know (additional shipping may apply).**

Please feel free to contact us for any questions or concerns.

Thank you,
KnifeCenter Customer Service
~David
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:10 pm
*crickets*

:straight-face

Knife Center wrote: Dear (Evil D),

This is a friendly note to let you know that your order is still in process. Rest assured that it is in good hands! As soon as your order is complete, it will be shipped right out.

**If part of your order is in stock and you would like us to partially ship, please let us know (additional shipping may apply).**

Please feel free to contact us for any questions or concerns.

Thank you,
KnifeCenter Customer Service
I got the same email today. Also got it on the 14th of this month.
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

This is why I never do pre-orders any more. So frustrating. I buy on the drop or not at all.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

This is going to be more of a winter carry for me so I don't mind the wait. It's the Swick I really hope to see in August. It'll be an awesome rust proof fixed EDC.

Really curious to try out SE K390, and excited to have such alarge SE knife in general. Pacific Salt is my biggest SE folder.
:unicorn
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:12 pm
This is why I never do pre-orders any more. So frustrating. I buy on the drop or not at all.
Right on, brother. In the past year or two, I've cancelled probably 4 to 6 preorders after waiting many months. After such a long wait, the enthusiasm wanes, and I just don't care any more. It makes no sense to me to pre-order a model that will be in regular production.

What REALLY chaps my hide is one of the big online sellers who charges a non-refundable five dollar down payment on pre-orders. They will take our money for the "privilege" of buying their product at an undefined date in the future. I find their attitude offensive, and will never buy anything from them again. There are plenty of other vendors out there, selling plenty of nice products, who don't try to squeeze me for every last dime.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I only put in that preorder to see if it helps. I'm also watching all my other vendors and SFO, whoever gets them first will get my money. I'm definitely not locking myself into that preorder alone.
~David
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I predict 2022 somewhere for this to drop....still waiting on the cru wear micarta pm2 that was supposed to be out like a year ago......losing interest and patience....
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:27 am
I predict 2022 somewhere for this to drop....still waiting on the cru wear micarta pm2 that was supposed to be out like a year ago......losing interest and patience....

Well, they're coming from two different factories. Golden seems to be backed up by exclusives, and I heard Eric has said no more exclusives until they're caught up with regular production, so hopefully we'll see both of these sooner than later.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cherp cherp

🦗🦗🦗🦗🦗🦗🦗
~David
JMM

Post by JMM »

There is seriously no other knife I want more than this right now.

Although I would find an Exclusive K390 SE Shaman and/or Manix2 an acceptable substitute.... (for now)

:winking-tongue
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Is it safe to assume the SFO will have these before any dealers get them? Just trying to decide where I should focus my stalking the hardest 🥷
~David
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I feel for you guys. Been waiting on the wharnie Dragonfly2 K390.
According to RamZar, the Police4 Lightweight SpyderEdge K390 Blue FRN C07FS4K390 (Japan) was shown in Reveal Volume 8 on May 11, 2021.
The Dragonfly2 LightWeight K390 Wharncliffe Blade Blue FRN C28FP2WK390 (Japan) was shown in Reveal Volume 7 on Jan 19, 2021.
sal

Post by sal »

I carry one quite often. A pocket chainsaw. I tune it on a Sharpmaker.

sal
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

sal wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:02 pm
I carry one quite often. A pocket chainsaw. I tune it on a Sharpmaker.

sal
Oh, sure, rub it in. :winking-tongue