Hard Use Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sparty569

Hard Use Knife

Post by sparty569 »

I'm looking for a backup knife, that can be hard use as well. Think prepping firewood making scrolls, things that I wouldnt want to use my Mantra 3 for. I wouldnt be batoning wood with it, but other hard use, non-striking tasks are on the table.

I was debating on a Buck 112 Slim, but have the chance to purchase a Chaparral as well. Assuming the Buck was the Pro, and had S30V steel, which would be better for a "hard use" knife?

Other Criteria....lock back and under $60.
Last edited by sparty569 on Tue May 11, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
kennethsime

Re: Hard Use Knife

Post by kennethsime »

Well between the two, the Buck 112 has a thicker blade stock (3mm) and a softer steel (educated guess here, not 100%), so that's probably my answer. On the other hand, the Chaparral is lighter weight, thinner, and will slice things a bit easier.

Have you held either? That's the next consideration. Which will be more comfortable during hard use?

Convex grinds carve wood a bit easier, and if you're serious about the use case you could convex the Chaparral, but you couldn't do so with the Buck because it's already hollow ground.

Personally, I'd pick my Shaman for any kind of camp chores. The contoured scales means few hot spots, and the leaf-shape blade is not totally unlike a mini kephart. Easy to grab in a variety of grips, and thick enough you're very unlikely to break it, even while doing dumb things.
Last edited by kennethsime on Tue May 11, 2021 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
sparty569

Post by sparty569 »

Also, fixed blades are not in consideration, since in Michigan, I cannot put one in my pocket. Has to be 100% visible at all times, like a firearm.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'd also go with a Shaman, Chap is definitely not a hard use/camp kind of knife.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Any knife is a hard use knife if you're smart about how exactly you use it. You can baton with an Opinel if you hit the blade and don't beat on the pivot. With lighter built knives you may want to avoid carving on hard wood knots but I think a Chaparral would be fine for what you have in mind. It does benefit from an internal stop pin which adds some strength to the lockup and takes some load off the lock bar itself. Being on the small size also limits how much leverage you can put on it so it has a sort of built in safety.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I would take a look at any of the Manix 2 models, G-10 or Lightweight. Of course, you will get a long list of every model Spyderco that are the particular poster's favorite!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Another vote for the Shaman.. It jumped to mind immediately as I read your first paragraph. And then I read your second hahah..

Neither of those would be my first choice (or even my 10th haha) for really hard use tasks. But if it's truly between the Buck and the Chap, with no option for other knifes, I'd probably go with the Buck for the size advantage (and I'd be less upset if I did end up damaging it haha). Like Evil D says though, I think the Chap would probably hold up ok if you are careful in how you go about using it.

But really.. the Shaman.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I recommend the Caribbean, for a hard use folder.

It's still the only "working" knife, that hasn't left me wanting for something.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Many moons ago, I had this Tim Wegner. It was heavy and built like a tank. You could knock someone out with one. It was cherished by me till I lost it somewhere. If this was a saber grind with a convex edge instead of a hollow grind, it would be a better camp knife for woodcraft stuff that you described. As a hollow grind, it sliced oh so well. the negative blade angle and the comfort of the handle were awesome. I would love to have another in my collection. I think it is time to refresh this great design with a few teaks.

:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Both wouldn’t be my choice, a Byrd Cara Cara in folding, and a moraknif ss serrated in fixed
The polestar spyderco or raven2 both carry excellent steel and are ruggedness
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

OK everybody go back and read his criteria of lock back and price under $60 and then revise your suggestions.
For Spyderco this would limit him to the Byrd and Tenacious families, but I think the Tenacious would be a reasonable suggestion.
sparty569

Post by sparty569 »

bdblue wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:07 am
OK everybody go back and read his criteria of lock back and price under $60 and then revise your suggestions.
For Spyderco this would limit him to the Byrd and Tenacious families, but I think the Tenacious would be a reasonable suggestion.
Thank you. The Chaparral I am looking at is $60, so that's the most I want to spend right now. And Lockback, since I have a fidgety knife in my Mantra 3.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Yea, that really limits your options compared to the original post. I still don't think the Chap is the answer though, I had one...it's so thin and narrow, doesn't fill out the hand at all. Probably one of the last knives I would grab if thinking of anything related to "hard use" I'd want a comfortable handle, and a blade with a little more gerth.

-Rick
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 10:16 am
I would take a look at any of the Manix 2 models, G-10 or Lightweight. Of course, you will get a long list of every model Spyderco that are the particular poster's favorite!
i have to agree here. the manix was the first that came to mind for me. many will say shaman, i'm sure, because everyone thinks hard use means thickest blade stock, but the manix has a more versatile blade. it's plenty thick enough, has a thinner tip for finer work, and has a more comfortable handle (to me). either will probably be fine, but the manix is a far better knife in my opinion.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

bdblue wrote:
Yes you’re right, cara cara, full serrated tenacious, or a steel upgrade to a raven2
With tenacious SE #1 , cara cara partial SE #2
My business would be considered extreme to hard use on knives
Last edited by S-3 ranch on Tue May 11, 2021 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
sparty569

Post by sparty569 »

S-3 ranch wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:41 am
bdblue wrote:
Yes you’re right, cara cara, full serrated tenacious, or a steel upgrade to a raven2
With tenacious SE #1 , cara cara partial SE #2
At one point, I was thinking of a Byrd Robin 2, or a Meadowlark. I guess if I am considering a Buck, these might be back on the table. I could potentially get a Buck with S30V for around my asking price...there might be a couple on Reddit.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

In the $60 price range, there is likely THOUSANDS of options.

-Rick
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

$60? That changes things. Sorry, I missed that. Tenacious is a good option and then later you can upgrade to titanium scales :D. When I think hard use, I think saber grind though.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The Chap is a great little knife but not for hard-use. Apart from its very thin edge, extended force will surely raise hot spots.

With his mid-lock requirement, the OP is not (yet) in Spyderco’s market.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Tue May 11, 2021 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

You could easily pick up a used Delica or maybe even an Endura in your price range.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001