Hard Use Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
z1r

Re: Hard Use Knife

Post by z1r »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:29 am
Yea, that really limits your options compared to the original post. I still don't think the Chap is the answer though, I had one...it's so thin and narrow, doesn't fill out the hand at all. Probably one of the last knives I would grab if thinking of anything related to "hard use" I'd want a comfortable handle, and a blade with a little more gerth.
I'd snag a $60 Chap in a heartbeat, but have to agree that there are probably better knives for "hard use."
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Youre not even in spydercos price range.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

If you can really get a Chap for $60: Go for it as a backup knife (that's what you said you want)

I use mine "hard" pretty often, it is really of indestructable built, has an amazingly strong backlock and a blade that is both strong AND slicey. Light batoning, whittling hard wood, all kinds of smaller bushcraft tasks: Works perfectly.

BUT: Again, just as a second/backup option!! Then it is a grear little bushcraft "claw"
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sparty569

Post by sparty569 »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:23 pm
If you can really get a Chap for $60: Go for it as a backup knife (that's what you said you want)

I use mine "hard" pretty often, it is really of indestructable built, has an amazingly strong backlock and a blade that is both strong AND slicey. Light batoning, whittling hard wood, all kinds of smaller bushcraft tasks: Works perfectly.

BUT: Again, just as a second/backup option!! Then it is a grear little bushcraft "claw"
To be fair, my primary blade is the Mantra 3, or QSP Hawk (depends on my mood that day).
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:14 pm
Youre not even in spydercos price range.
Raven2 is definitely in that price range and it’s built like a tank with bd-1 steel, and has a awesome flat ground blade, I am probably biased because it’s what I have been researching for last couple of months as our new EDC @ S-3 ranch
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Back lock and under $60 adds up to a Byrd.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

TBF, I believe that OP went back and edited in the lock back and budget constriction.
JRinFL wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:11 pm
You could easily pick up a used Delica or maybe even an Endura in your price range.
I think this would be the move. Check out r/knifeswap on reddit.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Since you're looking at used knives, I'd try to find a Native 5 LW over a Chap or a Buck 110 for your stated uses. Otherwise, for a hard use back lock for $60 I'd get a new Cold Steel SR1 Lite.
sparty569

Post by sparty569 »

ugaarguy wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 1:09 pm
Since you're looking at used knives, I'd try to find a Native 5 LW over a Chap or a Buck 110 for your stated uses. Otherwise, for a hard use back lock for $60 I'd get a new Cold Steel SR1 Lite.
I have a Buck 110, sitting here on my desk next to me, and that might be the way to go. I was hoping for something lighter, which is why I was thinking maybe the 112. But, a Chap for that price might be hard to beat.
z1r

Post by z1r »

If you have a 110, I'd use it. Sturdy, easy to sharpen. I've had my 110 for 45 years. Buy the Chap because that's a great knife for $60.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

sparty569 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:46 am
At one point, I was thinking of a Byrd Robin 2, or a Meadowlark. I guess if I am considering a Buck, these might be back on the table. I could potentially get a Buck with S30V for around my asking price...there might be a couple on Reddit.
From Spyderco/Byrd lineup, I would go for G10 Meadowlark in the price range you ask
From other brands, I would go with Mini Recon 1. I have this one in XHP, has taken a lot of beating.
Matus

Post by Matus »

At $60 ... maybe try to find a used Cold Steel American Laman in S35VN.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

sparty569 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 1:14 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
I have a Buck 110, sitting here on my desk next to me, and that might be the way to go. I was hoping for something lighter, which is why I was thinking maybe the 112. But, a Chap for that price might be hard to beat.
Sorry, typed 110 when you wrote 112. If you want something 112 sized, I'd still try to find a used Native 5 over a Chap for hard use. Even a 112 slim pro is still pinned construction, while either the FRN or G10 Native gives you screw together construction so you can tighten it back up if you need to. The Chap is a great knife, but it's not as good of hard use knife as the Native 5. If you just want a Chap, go for it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ugaarguy wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 2:22 pm
sparty569 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 1:14 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
...The Chap is a great knife, but it's not as good of hard use knife as the Native 5. ...

Depends on what one is looking for, particular hand geometry and so on..

I sold my Native 5 immediately after I got a Chap since for me the latter was the better small hard use knife:

- Does hard (and light) tasks more effitiently due to the better cutting geometry (thinner stock, thinner behind the edge)
- Is a lot more stable in my hand in hard use than the Native
- Offers about the same length of actual edge
- XHP (Chap) is very good in the relation edge retention/toughness
- Chap probably has a more solid built (though this has no practical implications (Native more than strong enough too))

Totally subjective of course, to each their own! :)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sparty569

Post by sparty569 »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 1:08 pm
TBF, I believe that OP went back and edited in the lock back and budget constriction.
JRinFL wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:11 pm
You could easily pick up a used Delica or maybe even an Endura in your price range.
I think this would be the move. Check out r/knifeswap on reddit.
I did edit my original post. I realized I didnt give enough information.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Spend $20 more and get a saber ground endura/delica 4.

It is an insanely tough knife.
z1r

Post by z1r »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 3:34 pm

Where does the Endela fit in with these two?
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

z1r wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:

The endela is fine, its just only available in full flat grind. While realistically spydercos ffg knives are usually plenty tough enough, the saber ground endura 4 is even tougher.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

z1r wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 3:49 pm
VooDooChild wrote:

Not available in sabre grind (or just in the wave option)

Yes, if real, crazy hard use is meant here the sabre grind Delica and Endura are tough to beat (shows once more how overestimated thick bladestock is concerning strength: My 2.5 mm, but sabre grind Delica has certainly the most indestructable blade of all my Spydies and the strongest tip of all)
z1r

Post by z1r »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 3:55 pm
z1r wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:

The endela is fine, its just only available in full flat grind. While realistically spydercos ffg knives are usually plenty tough enough, the saber ground endura 4 is even tougher.
About two seconds after I posted, I kinda figured that was the case.

I'm on the prowl for an Endela since I can carry one unlike the Endura I recently bought. Really like the Endura but can't pocket carry it.

Funny, I love the the D2 especially the looks of the leaf blade version. I recently converted an emerson version and realized that the saber grind makes for a stouter blade. Thick enough that you can baton it.