CPM 20CV Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Catamount123

CPM 20CV Thread

Post by Catamount123 »

I really liking this steel on my DLT exclusive Kapara. IME it holds a fine edge much longer than S30V, which suits a light duty EDC like the Kapara very well.

Please share your experience with, and thoughts on, this steel.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Gtscotty

Re: CPM 20CV Thread

Post by Gtscotty »

I'm really liking 20CV in my Para 3, takes an excellent edge and really holds it well. With diamonds, sharpening is no big deal and it also boasts top level stain resistance, what's not to love?

Honestly the inclusion of this steel is part of what tipped me over the edge to pick up a TRM Neutron 2 recently. I'd like to get a Delica or Endela with the steel someday if they are offered sans Zome.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

I watched a guy clean 5-6 muddy wild hogs with a 20cv knife, and it was still very much working sharp , Easley cutting rope and other stuff without resharping, would like to purchase some
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

It's my favorite stainless steel. I normally always prefer a tool steel, but I find 20CV/M390/CTS-204P to be a great family of steels. Holds an edge pretty well, sharpens easily. My 2 favorite traits in a steel. I have 1 or more of each of the steels in the family, now that I think about it. Yea...I like it!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Gtscotty wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:45 am
I'm really liking 20CV in my Para 3, takes an excellent edge and really holds it well. With diamonds, sharpening is no big deal and it also boasts top level stain resistance, what's not to love?

Honestly the inclusion of this steel is part of what tipped me over the edge to pick up a TRM Neutron 2 recently. I'd like to get a Delica or Endela with the steel someday if they are offered sans Zome.
What about BentoBoxShop Delica M390?
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

I have it on several knives and absolutely love it. Nothing bad to say. I have found that keeping it touched up is easier than having to sharpen it. So I hit the brown/white rods on the sharpmaker a few times when needed and its good to go. Excellent steel💪
dlum1

Post by dlum1 »

M390 stainless class is my 2nd favorite steel. CPM-S90V is my favorite. I've had M390 on a manix chip (I lost the very tip), but have yet to see any of my S90V knives chip, only roll, when accidentally contacting another metal surface. However, M390/20CV is incredibly stainless so has become my favorite fishing knife. My 20CV mule regularly gets dunked in rivers while fishing and the incredible edge retention means it rarely needs sharpening. It has yet to rust. However, I keep it at 20 DPS microbevel (with the main bevel at 15 DPS). I've noticed the edge microchips and dulls quickly if the angle is too low, likely from the high carbide content. M390 will likely get placed as a 3rd favorite stainless once I start playing with MagnaCut. That being said, I think the new knifejoker 20CV manix exclusive may be a new favorite. I just love the translucent jade green handles and the 20cv blade tipped me over the edge into purchasing one. Had it been s90v, I would not have hesitated.
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

pantagana23 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:19 am
Gtscotty wrote:

Sorry "unavailable"
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

pantagana23 wrote:
Gtscotty wrote:

I would have picked up one if they would have sold me one... by itself, you know, how you buy pretty much every other knife. But they had it only available in a combo with another knife I didn't want, and they ignored my email asking if I could just buy the Delica by itself, seems kind of sleazy to me so I lost interest. They are listed as unavailable now anyway. I think I'd buy ugly Zome pattern from a quality dealer like DLT before playing BB's game.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Gtscotty wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:00 am
pantagana23 wrote:
Gtscotty wrote:

I would have picked up one if they would have sold me one... by itself, you know, how you buy pretty much every other knife. But they had it only available in a combo with another knife I didn't want, and they ignored my email asking if I could just buy the Delica by itself, seems kind of sleazy to me so I lost interest. They are listed as unavailable now anyway. I think I'd buy ugly Zome pattern from a quality dealer like DLT before playing BB's game.
Wow, this is sad. Unfortunately, in the begining of the exclusive, I was hesitating to spend 220 $ (this is how much is would cost with shipping and customs to my country), later they stopped all sales outside of US.

Now unavailable.

Well, hope we get M390/20CV Native or Lil Native BL soon.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

I've always had good experiences with Spyderco's M390 and 204P. The Manix2 LW is my first in 20CV from them but I'm expecting good things from it as well. :)

I was using a 20CV knife from another company the other day to break down a bunch of cardboard boxes for the recycling bin and was honestly not that impressed with it. Not sure if it was the factory edge or just poorer geometry than I've come to expect on Spydercos. I finished up with Hap40 Delica that absolutely cut circles around it and would still scrape-shave arm hair when done. Going to put the 20CV knife on the CBN benchstone soon and see if removing a little steel helps it for the next time.

I've always liked M390/204P/20CV because for my uses they hold an edge better than S30V or XHP but sharpen up more easily than S90V with its 9% vanadium. I read someone recently refer to M390's mix of properties as "everything he had hoped ZDP-189 would be" and that pretty well captures my feelings too, hah.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I've used 204P on a ZT 0562 CF and it was great on that big chunky knife. I've also used 20CV on a Spyderco Watu and it's pretty awesome on that thin slicey blade at the other end of the spectrum from the big ZT. Below 20 DPS I had some edge chipping in hard use on the ZT, but at 20 DPS it's been pretty tough in my experience coupled with excellent edge retention. Corrosion resistance has also been excellent for me. I'd like to have a Native 5 or a Sage 2 in one of the M390/204P/20CV triplets. That would be the perfect middle ground for me of corrosion resistance and edge holding between LC200N and S90V.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

I think I might start crying, just looked @ a zoomer in cv20 and it’s $500
Breaking my heart today with the new 2021 reveals
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””

Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

S-3 ranch wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 2:44 pm
Would the Sustain work for you? Also 20CV, and quite a bit cheaper.
knifemovieguy

Post by knifemovieguy »

Only had it in latrobe variant on socom elite and from what i observed the edge retention is similar to hap40 or s90v
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Skywalker wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 2:46 pm
S-3 ranch wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 2:44 pm
Would the Sustain work for you? Also 20CV, and quite a bit cheaper.
I think the blade length is a problem with the cops (+6 inch blade)

elena86

Post by elena86 »

Not a tough steel. Knife people compare M390 familly steels with S90V but not me. CPM-S90V is the better steel... at least for me.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

elena86 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 3:44 pm
Not a tough steel. Knife people compare M390 familly steels with S90V but not me. CPM-S90V is the better steel... at least for me.
Reading between the tiny lines here, it looks like Larrin has the toughness of M390/20CV at ~4.2 ft-lbs, and S90V at ~5.2 ft-lbs.

https://i0.wp.com/knifesteelnerds.com/w ... =754&ssl=1

Also, the M390 is a point harder here, so at the same hardness, the insignificant difference could shrink to nothing, or might even flip. Regardless, no one would ever manage to tell the difference in toughness in use. Maybe they would notice a difference in edge holding (advantage S90V) or corrosion resistance (advantage 20CV), but toughness?

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/09/28/ ... eat-treat/
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The 204P/20CV/M390 family is a good family. I look forward to my incoming Watu.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

It's my favorite stainless for EDC folders. I prefer it to almost every other stainless (I do like s90v better in some applications--specifically thin edges on fixed blades).

I am really enjoying the Kapara exclusive. I also really like the Watu.