The Swayback is awesome!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

The Swayback is awesome!

Post by JuPaul »

Mine arrived today, and I honestly don't understand why this knife hasn't gotten more love. First impressions: it's my favorite new Spydie model in a long time. People complained about the action, but on my sample it's excellent. It flicks open easily and crisply, and imo the cutout to access the spydie hole and the lock bar is much better than on the Spydiechef. It also has a lockbar insert, so at least mine has no lock stick like my Chef did. I love the blade shape and finish, and I love the rounded/contoured scales. I think the overall design is beautiful.

Yes, the clip is awful. It doesn't fit the design and it's a hot spot nightmare. So it has to be replaced. For now I've got a spare MXG para 3 clip on it that's better, and I've got a custom clip from APurvis on the way. But other than the clip, I can't find a thing to complain about. I already want a second one with some kind of custom ano!

- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TomAiello

Re: The Swayback is awesome!

Post by TomAiello »

It's a classic for sure. Simple, clean lines, useful blade shape--what's not to love?

I just need to have fewer knives, so mine can get more pocket time. First world problems...
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Oh, yes, it is. Works better than expected for a leftie like me, very easy Spydie-flicking action. The ergonomics take some getting used to but once you get accustomed to it, it doesn't bother me at all. Prety solid construction all around. That's why I wanted a re-release of the Bowie since both have similar characteristics, but the Bowie has better ergonomics.

The MXG clip I used works perfectly - good tension without being cumbersome to put in or out of the pocket.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

nerdlock wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 8:40 pm
Oh, yes, it is. Works better than expected for a leftie like me, very easy Spydie-flicking action. The ergonomics take some getting used to but once you get accustomed to it, it doesn't bother me at all. Prety solid construction all around. That's why I wanted a re-release of the Bowie since both have similar characteristics, but the Bowie has better ergonomics.

The MXG clip I used works perfectly - good tension without being cumbersome to put in or out of the pocket.
That's the shorter MXG clip, right? Looks great. Is it made for the para3/pm2?
- Julia

Zive

Post by Zive »

It’s a beautiful design and I’m looking forward to getting more feedback from you, Julia.

I have been tempted by the Swayback on several occasions, but when I see the price and then look at the steel there’s a voice in my head telling me to wait for an exclusive or sprint in something other than XHP. Perhaps an unpopular opinion in light of Larrin’s latest testing, but for that money I’d like a higher performing steel. Knowing my luck this will eventually get disco’d with no exclusives and I’ll be cursing myself for years to come.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Zive wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 8:58 pm
It’s a beautiful design and I’m looking forward to getting more feedback from you, Julia.

I have been tempted by the Swayback on several occasions, but when I see the price and then look at the steel there’s a voice in my head telling me to wait for an exclusive or sprint in something other than XHP. Perhaps an unpopular opinion in light of Larrin’s latest testing, but for that money I’d like a higher performing steel. Knowing my luck this will eventually get disco’d with no exclusives and I’ll be cursing myself for years to come.
Well, Knifejoy has now done a Slysz Spydiechef and a Slysz Bowie with blue ano and lc200n and m390 steel, respectively. So I wouldn't be surprised if they commission a blue swayback with m390 in the future.
- Julia

nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 8:47 pm
nerdlock wrote:

Thanks, its the MXG clip for the Manix 2, I believe... I saw it being used by forumer @Bdubs808 in this long thread dedicated to the Swayback :)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86525&start=200

it's short curve let's it sit almost flush with the Swayback's scale...I think this is the deepest carry clip I know that doesn't jut out past the bottom scale portion.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

Couldn't agree more! Mine new Swayback arrived today as well! And holy smokes is it sharp. Love this XHP! Mine came with a Lynch clip which I'm loving! But totally agree this knife deserves more love! Great revamp on a classic design pulled off wonderfully. Only thing that held me off was the price but I found a heck of a deal on another forum. And wish could have got 1 sooner. But better late than never. My cowboy roots drew me to this knife and am soooo happy to have gotten 1 finally. Yea a second 1 could be in my future. But 1 is good enough for now.
20210510_142339_copy_1512x2016.jpg
20210510_142331_copy_1512x2016.jpg
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

Was able to pick one up for a steal during the holidays. Action is extremely smooth and drops shut with zero blade play. I’m a fan

I agree on the clip. This MXG clip works for me.

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

It's a great knife and a much better value vs the Bowie. I'm glad someone else has given it a try. Enjoy!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Lockbar insert on this one and not the Bowie is pretty mind boggling. I don't understand why it's not on both!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:33 am
Lockbar insert on this one and not the Bowie is pretty mind boggling. I don't understand why it's not on both!
Not sure but maybe it's because they don't normally do CQI on discontinued models
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:33 am
Have they ever cqi'd a discontinued model brought back for a sprint/exclusive? I can't think of any right now.
Or are you asking why they didn't do it to begin with back in the day?
The insert is really nice on the Swayback. I've never had a Slysz Bowie but I bet an insert would be nice
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I don't have an issue with the stock clip other than it kind of looks out of place. Seeing pics of the Swayback with all these different clips I've decided that I may have to get a different one for mine
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

nerdlock wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 9:57 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 8:47 pm
nerdlock wrote:

Thanks, its the MXG clip for the Manix 2, I believe... I saw it being used by forumer @Bdubs808 in this long thread dedicated to the Swayback :)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86525&start=200

it's short curve let's it sit almost flush with the Swayback's scale...I think this is the deepest carry clip I know that doesn't jut out past the bottom scale portion.
Yes, exactly why I was curious. The spare one I had sticks out off the scale, which I really dislike. Thanks for the info!
- Julia

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

For what it's worth, I have two Spydiechefs that do not have lock stick but my Swayback with a steel lock bar insert does have lock stick. That's not to say I don't like the Swayback, because I very much do but the steel lock bar insert is not immune to lock stick.

In my opinion, the biggest benefit to a steel lock bar insert is having the ability to replace it if needed and potentially repair a late or loose lockup. They're nice to have for "peace of mind" but definitely not necessary, in my opinion.
-Nick :bug-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Very nice. The Swayback is one of Spyderco's more aesthetically pleasing designs.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Oh, great. Now I have to evaluate the thing all over again…

I do like Slysz’s designs (though the Bowie doesn’t really speak to me), but I’m not fond of a typical RIL’s wear (as on my SpydieChef). A steel insert, which I somehow overlooked, changes things…
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

FourStringFiend wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:20 pm
Was able to pick one up for a steal during the holidays. Action is extremely smooth and drops shut with zero blade play. I’m a fan

I agree on the clip. This MXG clip works for me.

I didn’t know MXG made a clip that wasn’t deep carry or milled. I’ll keep that in mind because I normally dislike the deep carry clips from an aesthetic perspective and just prefer the way spoon clips sit in my hand.
The grey titanium of that one certainly matches the Swayback better than the shiny stock clip too.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Matus

Post by Matus »

It is a super cool looking (and apparently very well made) knife, but I guess it does not sell much as it is not super practical and the design for modern times is 'odd'. I myself have actually a soft spot for odd Spydercos - my next one will most likely be the Schempp bowie folder ... (unless I will not manage to stand being without some nice Para 3 LW) :)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...