Has anyone tried sanding the scales on the Para 3 LW for more texture?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
metaphoricalsimile

Has anyone tried sanding the scales on the Para 3 LW for more texture?

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

I love my Para 3 LW, but it's soooo slippery. I feel like if I just had a bit more texture on the scales it would feel a lot more secure for opening and closing. Has anyone tried roughing them up a bit? What grit did you use? Is this just a terrible idea?
Ric

Re: Has anyone tried sanding the scales on the Para 3 LW for more texture?

Post by Ric »

@metaphoricalsimile

I did not but I can imagine you need a very rough one. I would do 90 deg. to the scales (similar to the jimping.)

You can also use a small file/rasp
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't think sanding will get the result you're looking for. Maybe handgun style stippling?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

My Para 3 LW Spy 27 once accidentally plummeted to rough concrete flooring, getting rough scratches on one of its rounded edges. Was concerned about the ruined finish but after carrying it for some time and buffing the affected area with cloth, the scratches seemed to have "healed", for a lack of a better term. It's still there, but it seems to have blended in.

D has a point, sanding will definitely not give you the results you are looking for. Eventually it will smoothen out. Stippling might be a better solution but at the risk of ruining the aesthetics of the knife.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

You could attempt to stipple the handle using a soldering iron. Research this option very well before attempting as you can really wreck it quickly. Of course, warranty void after this modification. You could test using some grip tape on key areas first to see if there is any benefit.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

New scales of a different texture might work but could be pricey. Just a thought.