Picked up my first SE knife... I don't get the hype.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
metaphoricalsimile

Picked up my first SE knife... I don't get the hype.

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

I picked up a dfly in H1 with SE, and I just have to say, I don't get what people love about it. It's worse for cutting open packages, cutting tags off clothes, opening letters than my PE dfly in K390. It did seem a little better when I needed to break down a double-walled cardboard box, but it's not frequent that I have heavier-duty cutting tasks like that. For my EDC knives I'm definitely going to stick with PE.
Holland

Re: Picked up my first SE knife... I don't get the hype.

Post by Holland »

Definitely can relate to where you're coming from.

I found serrated is a lot more enjoyable when cutting off the tips and making the edge more like rounded hills. Slices everything close to the same as plainedge after you do this. Does hold an edge a lot longer I found

I still prefer plain edge most of the time.
20210408_201331_copy_3024x1701.jpg
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:53 pm
I picked up a dfly in H1 with SE, and I just have to say, I don't get what people love about it. It's worse for cutting open packages, cutting tags off clothes, opening letters than my PE dfly in K390. It did seem a little better when I needed to break down a double-walled cardboard box, but it's not frequent that I have heavier-duty cutting tasks like that. For my EDC knives I'm definitely going to stick with PE.

Sorry that it does not work for you!

I never had an H1 DFly - just an H1 Pac Salt.
But probably both have a somewhat similar serration pattern (and both in the sabre hollow H1 comes in): My SE Pac Salt certainly was rather aggressive out of the box, more so than ffg SE Spydies I know and by that not the best for "lighter" tasks.
It got a lot better after some sharpening (mellower serrations), in fact better than my PE knives.

But great performing SE out of the box for more "normal" tasks is probably better to be found in ffg SE Spydies (I can´t imagine that the Endela SE would not convince you immediately... :rolleyes: )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

for me, it's less about what's better for the little cutting tasks i do day to day and more about what's better for emergency cutting that might present itself. i'd rather have slightly less pretty cuts on an envelope and know that i'm getting all the way through one of my kids' seatbelts if i ever need to. plain edge is never going to be as good as spyderedge for those kinds of cuts and those cuts are more important for me to be prepared for.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Holland wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:58 pm
Definitely can relate to where you're coming from.

I found serrated is a lot more enjoyable when cutting off the tips and making the edge more like rounded hills. Slices everything close to the same as plainedge after you do this. Does hold an edge a lot longer I found

I still prefer plain edge most of the time.

20210408_201331_copy_3024x1701.jpg

Might be that knives like the Endela SE come like this right from the factory: Mine blew all my PE knives out of the water right from the start in almost any task - and I had not expected this at all when I purchased the Endela SE...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

FFG SE is definitely a better slicer, try one. PE is definitely my preferred edge type tho
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's all in the sharpening. Straight out of the box is no comparison and really doesn't tell you the whole story.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 3:01 pm
for me, it's less about what's better for the little cutting tasks i do day to day and more about what's better for emergency cutting that might present itself. i'd rather have slightly less pretty cuts on an envelope and know that i'm getting all the way through one of my kids' seatbelts if i ever need to. plain edge is never going to be as good as spyderedge for those kinds of cuts and those cuts are more important for me to be prepared for.
I routinely touch up the edge on my EDC knife with ceramic or a diamond strop, and have never had problems cutting anything with it. In fact I would bet my PE knives would cut through a seat belt faster than a SE knife would.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Two things.

1. Everyone who raves about SE does so with the caveat that you need to tune it up on a Sharpmaker to round off the points on the serrations and make it a bit more of a scalloped edge.

2. I did the same thing you did, and thought the same thing. I think the D'fly isn't a good knife for SE, or maybe not a good first knife for SE. I bit the bullet and got a Native 5 Salt SE shortly after getting the DF2 Salt SE. The bigger handle and grip area on the N5 made all the difference for me. That's with rounding the points off on both on a Sharpmaker.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

ugaarguy wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 3:16 pm
Two things.

1. Everyone who raves about SE does so with the caveat that you need to tune it up on a Sharpmaker to round off the points on the serrations and make it a bit more of a scalloped edge.

2. I did the same thing you did, and thought the same thing. I think the D'fly isn't a good knife for SE, or maybe not a good first knife for SE. I bit the bullet and got a Native 5 Salt SE shortly after getting the DF2 Salt SE. The bigger handle and grip area on the N5 made all the difference for me. That's with rounding the points off on both on a Sharpmaker.
i was going to say the same thing, but small blades really benefit from the extra edge they get from serrations. i still think that longer blades with more teeth are better though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ugaarguy wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 3:16 pm
Two things.

Not entirely true. There are (ffg) SE knives which are great out of the box and certainly better than PE for me (though even those kind of SE gets even better after some sharpening on the sm)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Metaphoricalsimile,

I would suggest you keep an open mind rather come to a conclusion with your limited experience.

First we developed the sharpmaker so we could sharpen serrated edges, then we made serrated edges. We developed and refined our serrated edges over 3 decades. I would suggest that you read David's thread on serrations ( He, like you wasn't pro teeth ). Get a Sharpmaker, and properly sharpen your Spydeerco serrated edge on our Spyderco Sharpmaker, then you will have a greater understanding about the "hype".

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 3:07 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 3:01 pm
I routinely touch up the edge on my EDC knife with ceramic or a diamond strop, and have never had problems cutting anything with it. In fact I would bet my PE knives would cut through a seat belt faster than a SE knife would.

I bet against that, 100 percent ;) - and this even if you took down your PE knives to the 15 to 20 degrees inclusive SE Spydies have right out of the box.
Just picture how a SE scallop works: Much like a "hook" that grabs the seatbelt and attacks it from various angles - PE just can´t do this, and it´s inferiority in this specific task gets even worse if the seatbelt is somewhat "loose"/"floopy" and not tightened
sal

Post by sal »

I would have to agree with Warstein, but I would add, let's not cut one seat belt, let'a cut 20.

sal
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Well
1. It will still cut even when its dull.
2. It will eventually outcut a plain edge, regardless of steel, because of this.

I like them for the salt series because eventually all that salt and sand infused rope dulls a plain edge pretty good.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 3:48 pm
Well
1. It will still cut even when its dull.
2. It will eventually outcut a plain edge, regardless of steel, because of this.

I like them for the salt series because eventually all that salt and sand infused rope dulls a plain edge pretty good.

Well said!

And 3: It wiil, unlike PE, not only still cut when dull, it will also stay sharp longer than PE
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

sal wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 3:40 pm
I would have to agree with Warstein, but I would add, let's not cut one seat belt, let'a cut 20.

sal
Couldn't help chuckling on that one. :p
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

I think PE is more versatile. However some takes like cutting nylon (which is a lot tougher than it looks. I dinged my PE s30v para 3 doing it to day) are just easier with a serrated edge. I will say that I prefer the more shallow serrations on my Leatherman Wingman.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

I think for people who don't care about maintaining a hair popping edge on their knives or the look of their knives, an SE makes sense. SE is practical but not for people who like constantly messing with their edge. So.... not for me...most of the time
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Edit:
Paraguy wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 4:23 pm
I think PE is more versatile. However sometimes materials like nylon (which is a lot tougher than it looks. I dinged my PE s30v para 3 doing it to day) are just easier with a serrated edge. I will say that I prefer the more shallow serrations on my Leatherman Wingman.
"Some call me...Tim?"