Blade HQ M4/Jade Rock Lobster

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nerdlock

Re: Blade HQ M4/Jade Rock Lobster

Post by nerdlock »

I wonder how long will this drop last?

Based on what I read on social media (FB, IG, etc) there are many who are not interested in this knife and even questioning the decision to go ahead with this release. But here in the forum more than a few are looking forward to this.

I'm not getting this one since it's not lefty friendly and the steel choice is ironic considering the name of the knife, but I do hope Blade HQ will sell this one out so that other discontinued models might have a shot at a re-release someday.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 7:36 am
I hope this release is a success. We've seen the Phoenix, Slysz Bowie, and now the Rock Lobster come back from the dead. If this goes well, we may see more dormant releases make an appearance in the future.
Those are just the rereleased models from this year too! :cool: Spyderco has always done sprint runs of discontinued models but more retailers seem to be taking the chance with discontinued models as exclusives. BladeHQ seems most willing to take a risk with discontinued models. They also did an exclusive with the Lum Tanto, Lum Chinese, and the Dodo.

I've also heard multiple rumors of retailers that have exclusives with other discontinued models in the works. :D
-Nick :bug-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

This should sell quickly as many will want to have a complete collection of BHQ Jade M4 releases.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Danke

Post by Danke »

Achievement Unlocked.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

If they release this when Magnacut is available, I'll be inline for one.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

Bought one. Good companion to the original that I have
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

I really like the looks of the moded Lobsters... Passing for now, just not my style with the jade and liner lock.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I decided to get one of these in the end. It's the chance to try out a Spydie that's been a grail for many collectors, and I've really been enjoying wharnie/sheepsfoot style blade lately. I'll dye the jade scales.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
restless ghost

Post by restless ghost »

https://youtu.be/Oh5J33KAaqw
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Lol
MRj “Weak things break!”
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I still sorta think this is an odd material choice for this model. If this sprint was in lc200n and yellow or green g10 it would’ve sold like hot-cakes imo.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Danke

Post by Danke »

The BHQ special editions aren't about selling out in seconds and then going direct to eBay at 4x the price.

They're jade M4 and a tool steel blade; mostly M4. They try to order enough to meet the demand. Since they've been doing this for a while and I think they've got a pretty good handle on volume. They go with production models like the PM2 Or greatest hits models like this, the Dodo, the Lum Tanto, etc.

I appreciate that they're an acquired taste and that they aren't for most part flipper bait.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Danke wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 11:42 am
The BHQ special editions aren't about selling out in seconds and then going direct to eBay at 4x the price.

They're jade M4 and a tool steel blade; mostly M4. They try to order enough to meet the demand. Since they've been doing this for a while and I think they've got a pretty good handle on volume. They go with production models like the PM2 Or greatest hits models like this, the Dodo, the Lum Tanto, etc.

I appreciate that they're an acquired taste and that they aren't for most part flipper bait.
I’m no fan of BHQ’s approach to exclusives, but the pertinent thing is that Spyderco evidently has no problem with it.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I broke down and got one. And a bunch of other stuff. I have a problem.
JuPaul wrote: I decided to get one of these in the end. It's the chance to try out a Spydie that's been a grail for many collectors, and I've really been enjoying wharnie/sheepsfoot style blade lately. I'll dye the jade scales.
Yeah same here. I would like to see a future sprint but... I dont really see this model coming back. This was sort of a last chance to get one.
restless ghost wrote: https://youtu.be/Oh5J33KAaqw
Aaaahhhh!!!! I used to work at a grocery store that played this all the time and it drove me crazy. It was soooo annoying. Then when I worked on the beach I would play it on my phone to annoy whoever the new person was that year.

I actually think thats part of the reason I want the knife.
Abyss_Fish wrote: I still sorta think this is an odd material choice for this model. If this sprint was in lc200n and yellow or green g10 it would’ve sold like hot-cakes imo.
I would have preferred something different as well. However, I bet with a dark patina this knife would look great.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Danke

Post by Danke »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 12:07 pm
Danke wrote:

I’m no fan of BHQ’s approach to exclusives, but the pertinent thing is that Spyderco evidently has no problem with it.
Is there a specific issue about their approach to exclusives? I've never missed one that I've wanted and I'm not even in the USA.

If they're getting it wrong who's getting it right?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Danke wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 1:18 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Danke wrote:

Is there a specific issue about their approach to exclusives? I've never missed one that I've wanted and I'm not even in the USA.

Not sure? I think they are one of the better ones. I really like their M4/Jade family and love that that do obscure stuff like this and especially the Dodo. I've never had a problem getting one during the drop. I just wish they would do some M4/Jade FRN (GITD FRN looks Jade so that would work!) Seki FRN models like the Endela and Endura! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Danke wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 1:18 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Danke wrote:

Who am I to say BHQ is wrong?

I’m saying I don’t care for the direction they (and a few other dealers) appear to me to have taken the “exclusive” idea.

Ready-made FOMO; the conceit of particular steels, treatments, handles across many different models to promote BHQ’s brand; the clogging of Spyderco’s production queues with exclusives at the expense of stocking the catalog and introducing new models.

These surmises—they are only that—may be wrong. I would not have thought to make them several years ago, when exclusives were fewer and sprints were more common. And I really don’t wish to insist here my surmises are accurate.

After all, if these things are truly happening, they are happening with Spyderco’s blessing. And Spyderco’s business is certainly none of my business, except that I wish the company nothing but the best, though its best may not always please me.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Danke

Post by Danke »

Suggestion noted.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Crazy comments in my opinion. Having a company foot the bill to bring back out of production models is an amazing thing.
:unicorn
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

i wish the Lobster well. I have a Para 3 from the series, and am really looking forward to when they decide to release an Ikuchi (or, dare I dream, a Chaparral) in this M4/Jade combo.