Blade Swap vs Scale Swap

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FourStringFiend

Blade Swap vs Scale Swap

Post by FourStringFiend »

I was swapping blades on my K390 and VG10 Enduras last night and was wondering if everyone else encounters the same scenario. I have had the exact same thing happen on a delica swap as well.

I swapped the K390 blade into the VG10 handles using all its parts, washers included. This resulted in way off blade centering and a gap between the lock bar and blade when opened. I had this happen before but just wanted to test it out again.

So, I disassembled it again and kept the K390 blade with its hardware and swapped just the scales. This worked perfectly just like it did on the Delica.

I was curious when doing a blade swap if everyone else is actually having any luck with the first method or is their "blade swap" also a scale swap? (The VG10 Endura is old but the only difference I could see was a chamfer on the index finger swell on the liner.

End result
Evil D

Re: Blade Swap vs Scale Swap

Post by Evil D »

You should always at least keep the blade with the lock bar. I would swap scales and scales only every time I had the chance to and leave the "skeleton" of each knife intact.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David