How do you count ‘em up?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PStone

How do you count ‘em up?

Post by PStone »

Lately I have noticed some cool signatures breaking down what knifes and steels are owned. Like archangel’s and TkoK83Spy’s number of models and steels. And that got me thinking how many I have. Then I started breaking them into groups based on other features. I had some fun and it really got me thinking about my collection in different ways. So I thought it might make a good thread to start and list different ways some of us count ‘em up. How many ways can one collection be tallied? Whatever grouping you can think of. Models and blade steels, country of origin, lock types, scale materials, and so on. Whatever you can think of. Post up your totals! Here are some of mine.

51 total Spydercos:
43 Folders vs 8 Fixed
20 Domestic vs 31 Imported
-20 USA
-15 Japan
-15 Taiwan
-1 China
7 Different Locks:
-22 Backlock
-7 Linerlock
-7 Compression Lock
-3 Slip Joint
-2 Frame Lock
-1 BBL
-1 Phantom Lock
Handles:
-15 G-10
-13 FRN
-8 Carbon Fiber
-5 Titanium
-4 Stainless Steel
-3 CF Laminate
-1 Bone

There are others too. But I am still tallying. Reg production vs sprint vs exclusive. Stainless vs non. Collabs vs in-house. I was already surprised by the number of G10 models I have. I went in thinking FRN dominated my collection. :spyder:
TkoK83Spy

Re: How do you count ‘em up?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Thanks for the nod! I post mine in my signature mainly to help if anyone has a question about a particular knife. Can't get too specific with my Spyderco's or every post would take up a whole page in a thread :p

Nice breakdown though! Pretty vast collection with an even more vast variety. I'll likely report back once I break down the specifics. Cool idea for a thread!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
archangel

Post by archangel »

I have thought about grouping and counting mine by Country of Origin, by designer, by lock type, by scales material a couple of times... one day I will. ;) Frankly speaking, I don't want to put them all on a table while my family's around. :eek: Some details I'd know by heart, some not. Thing is, I'm not sitting in front of a PC but do this on a tablet, and filling a spreadsheet on a tablet is crappy work...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
PStone

Post by PStone »

archangel wrote: I have thought about grouping and counting mine by Country of Origin, by designer, by lock type, by scales material a couple of times... one day I will. ;) Frankly speaking, I don't want to put them all on a table while my family's around. :eek: Some details I'd know by heart, some not. Thing is, I'm not sitting in front of a PC but do this on a tablet, and filling a spreadsheet on a tablet is crappy work...
Ha! That’s pretty much what I did. Kids were all gone this weekend and MrsP didn’t mind. :spyder: As for the spreadsheet, good ol’ pencil and paper.
TkoK83Spy wrote: Thanks for the nod! I post mine in my signature mainly to help if anyone has a question about a particular knife. Can't get too specific with my Spyderco's or every post would take up a whole page in a thread :p

Nice breakdown though! Pretty vast collection with an even more vast variety. I'll likely report back once I break down the specifics. Cool idea for a thread!
Thanks! There’s a few models that duplicate. And 9 are are Native5s. Most of my models variety comes from overseas.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

6.... cases.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Every spyderco I've ever owned is written down on paper... I can't keep them all but I do allow them to sign the guest book lol.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Right now, my count is simple: a Manbug and a pair of Dragonfly 2s. All have black FRN and VG-10 Wharncliffe blades. Fingers crossed that by week's end, the count will double...
Regular carrier: zome green Delica 4
Occasional/situational carrier: Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade
Display only: Manbug with Wharncliffe blade, Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade, zome green Delica 4
Higher

Post by Higher »

I keep a record in Google table where I list it:
Name, model number, steel, blade type, handle material and color, special note when I bought it.
I don't write down the rest. I didn't do that much because I know a lot and remember many characteristics by heart.
For Police, I have a separate table with extended characteristics. Type of markings on the blade and other.
Now my table has a lot of rows. But this does not mean that I have so many knives. Some are now coming to me, some I gave or lost. These records just stayed there.
Last edited by Higher on Mon May 10, 2021 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
I use translator most of the time.

There was a link to the old Spyderco catalogs.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

This brings up a question I've been meaning to ask for a long time, which I think would fit OK in this thread, if you don't mind me butting in. Does anybody use a spreadsheet in which you can list all your knives with different columns for seller, price, date of purchase, blade steel, country of origin, or anything else you want to track, like mods, lock or scale type, selling price and buyer (if you want to sell any--I've only ever sold one and swapped one, but that day will probably come, sooner or later), etc. The idea would be that you could click on the top of a column and the spreadsheet would rearrange to descending or ascending order of the entries in that column.

I keep all my papers on all knives in order by date of purchase. Once I sorted them out by blade steel and I think it was 22 types IIRC :o (like I really need all those types for all the things I do, like slice onions and so forth).
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I don't keep track of much, but I do tend to keep in mind how many of a given model I have. I like to have back-ups to all my favorite gear, whether pocket knives, tents or water filters.

Right now I've got 3 Street Beats, 3 Chiefs, 3 Manix XL's, 4 Pacific Salt 2's and 4 Police folders.
:unicorn
Worm

Post by Worm »

I use an Excel spreadsheet to track model, steel type, known HRC (from forums or social media), handle material, color, sprint run, specifics like hollow grinds or custom modifications ...
I like accurate data, so I measured edge length, overall length and weight myself.

That helps me to find holes in the collection to justify new acquisitions ... :D and keep me away from buying anything I will probably not use because I have a similar model.

Current status:
28 Spydercos - 21 different models - 13 different steels
20 folders - 2 fixed blades - 6 kitchen knives
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I don’t count. I don’t really want to know. I am still in denial that I am a collector. ;) I am sure I am well into the triple digits for Spyderco folders. I have a pile of fixed blades as well of which at least 20 are Spydercos.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

For someone who still identifies as a user, there is only one way to count them; too many :D
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It makes me tired trying to think of all I have, some here, some back home. Maybe I should sell them all and buy something like a house!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

There's my boat as well. I don't count them because I can't count that high. If I lay them all out at once for a photo, it would have to be taken from space. And I'm certain that I've spent more accumulating them than I did on my mobile home (and probably my car as well).
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I don't like to let the collection get too big - in my mind, every knife deserves some use. If I notice a few models gathering dust instead of dings, I need to find a better home for them. As seen in my signature, I usually have a decent rotation going, but that's also impacted by seasonal concerns.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
archangel

Post by archangel »

Oooookay, here we go:
8 fixed blades (3 kitchen knives) vs 32 folders
11 sprints or exclusives vs. 27 regular production + 2 one-time production (= the 2 Mules)
24 inhouse designs vs. 16 collaborations
4 China made // 3 from Italy // 9 from Japan // 9 USA made // 14 Taichung Taiwan // 1 Taiwan other
Scales: 1 Aluminium // 1 Micarta // 5 laminated CF // 8 FRN // 9 G10 // 6 Ti // 2 Ti & G10 // 2 Paracord Wrap // 3 Stainless Steel // 2 Polypropylene // 1 Plastic
8 backlocks // 6 CompLock // 6 frame lock // 8 non-locking/slipjoint // 8 n.a. (fixed blade) // 1 CBBL // 1 phantom // 1 liner // 1 button CompLock

That's it. All done on my tablet. Actually quite feasible.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 9:36 am
It makes me tired trying to think of all I have, some here, some back home. Maybe I should sell them all and buy something like a house!
That's exactly why I even bother to have a very basic list. They're spread out everywhere, so I sometimes forget what I have - or at least should have.
I'm not too pedantic about that list, so I regularly notice one or two missing when I open it to add or remove a knife, but it's better than no control at all.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I'm a bit OCD but I generally stopped trying to keep an exact head-count once I crossed into triple digit territory... I do keep them organized by origin using the larger SpyderPacks.... so I have a Seki pack, a Taichung pack, a couple Golden, etc. Then within the packs I arrange by model, all the Manix2's stay together, as do the Shaman, etc. Good thread, curious to hear more of what other folks are doing. Not to derail things but I've been wanting to come up with a cool way to display them (not all, perhaps 75-100) and I'm super eager to hear if anyone has anything to share on that front... ;) :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I might break it down a bit more but honestly I've got something like:

2-3 dedicated favorite users

~50 that collect dust

~5-6 that may actually be worth something more than I paid for them someday
All SE all the time since 2017
~David