Choosing a new Spidey ain't easy!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dan In MI

Choosing a new Spidey ain't easy!

Post by Dan In MI »

I'm already working out what my next Spidey should be. My Dragonfly 2 was recently put to the test on some cardboard boxes, and the speed and cleanliness of the cuts were second to none. I'd like to get such performance in a larger size.

I'm thinking a full-flat grind is the biggest factor in the impressive performance. The steel may also play a role. Is there anything else I should consider?
Regular carrier: zome green Delica 4
Occasional/situational carrier: Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade
Display only: Manbug with Wharncliffe blade, Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade, zome green Delica 4
VooDooChild

Re: Choosing a new Spidey ain't easy!

Post by VooDooChild »

Blade shape/type
Blade grind
Blade geometry/angle/thickness/edge geo
Steel
Ergos
Color
It all matters.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Ha! Welcome to my life its a beautiful place. But seriously Spyderco has some of the sliciest blades out there. For me, full flat grind and as thin as I can find usually works the best. The Dragonfly is an incredible little knife. Maybe take a look at the Chapparal although they are similar in size, the Sage 5LW also feels very slicey to me. My Resilience is huge but a slicing machine also. Do you have a steel preference? What kind of environment do you live in? There are many choices!
kobold

Post by kobold »

Maxamet Sage, if the price is okay, with fantastic edge retention, or the Spy27 Native with even better ergonomics for less money. Both are great for EDC - the Sage is quite a bit nicer, but I like the blue FRN Native too.
My next purchase might be the Centofante, so I can't comment on it yet, but I think it will slice probably even better than the Chaparral..
Last edited by kobold on Fri May 07, 2021 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Delica is a good slicer with its thin FFG stock.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Yes indeed, there are many factors to consider! I don't have a steel preference, as I'm still learning about the many varieties (it's been sorta like eating an elephant). However, I do like good edge retention qualities. My environment can get pretty humid, but it isn't salty.

It may be worth noting that my Dragonfly has a Wharncliffe blade. I'm leaning mostly toward the Endura and the Delica. The Manix, Police 4 Lightweight, Rockjumper, Stretch 2, and Salt models (see explanation of edit, below) are also in consideration. A Spy27 Native would also work if I'm able to find one.

Thanks for the help and food for thought!

An explanation of the edit: I've discovered that, because this purchase will be carried and Michigan lacks statewide preemption of knife laws, I'm best off with a blade no longer than three inches. Yes, an extra 0.08" put the Rockjumper out of contention. :mad:
Last edited by Dan In MI on Mon May 10, 2021 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Display only: Manbug with Wharncliffe blade, Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade, zome green Delica 4
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:29 am
The Delica is a good slicer with its thin FFG stock.
Love my delica’s
Bought a stretch recently and it’s awesome
Really can’t go wrong with a spyderco in any model or sprint
Looking at some K390 , but my V-toku2 stretch is in one pocket and a delica G-2 serrated in other
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Dan In MI wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:32 am
Yes indeed, there are many factors to consider! I don't have a steel preference, as I'm still learning about the many varieties (it's been sorta like eating an elephant). However, I do like good edge retention qualities. My environment can get pretty humid, but it isn't salty.

It may be worth noting that my Dragonfly has a Wharncliffe blade. I'm leaning mostly toward the Endura and the Delica. The Manix, Police 4 Lightweight, Rockjumper, Stretch 2, and Salt models are also in consideration. A Spy27 Native would also work if I'm able to find one.

Thanks for the help and food for thought!
Where are you in Mi? I know there's a dealer near me in Temperance. They usually have some different models in stock that might help you decide.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i've always thought the manix reminded me of a beefed up dragonfly. it's not quite as slicey with it's thicker blade stock, but it's still really great and has even better ergonomics. and the blade stock still isn't super thick, especially as you get closer to the tip. if you haven't tried one, i highly suggest it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

If you want the closest thing to a Dragonfly but bigger, you need the Chaparral. A Delica or Endela would also work.
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

You need to try a compression lock, its one of those spyderco exclusives!

My solution to this problem is to buy sprints/dealer exclusives, who knows what will drop next!
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:44 am
Where are you in Mi? I know there's a dealer near me in Temperance.
I'm about an hour away from you, in the Detroit/Dearborn area. Spyderco's dealer locator shows a store in Temperance called His Store And More. Is that the one you were referring to?

Most of the tasks I use a knife for involve slicing, so I'll prioritize a thin blade. If I need to do some chopping...well, my Morakniv Garberg should do a fine job. A compression lock is something I'll try sooner or later.

Thanks again to all for the help!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

K390 Delica sounds like a good choice if you're looking for good edge retention, a thin blade and a Delica.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

For cardboard, Spyderco's serrated edges (particularly after a little tune up a Sharpmaker) are incredible. The Salt 2 LC200N SE, Native 5 Salt SE, and Pacific Salt 2 LC200N SE would be good places to start.

If you prefer plain edge, for me and some others the Sage 5 LW is a Goldilocks of ergos and blade thickness between the Native 5 and Delica (the Salt 2 is basically the Delica Salt). If you want super thin grind slicer with a premium blade steel, you have to try a Watu. It looks weird, but it's actually really comfortable to hold and use. It also packs quite a bit of edge length into the handle, if you're into the (silly IMO) edge to handle ratio stat.
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

The delica size is a great choice, and a Salt 2 SE would be one to really consider. The ffg se in lc200n is actually lighter than the h1 version and does seem to slice slightly better due to the ffg. If you have not used a se before, a ffg salt 2 would be an excellent choice to show what they are capable of.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 11:11 am
K390 Delica sounds like a good choice if you're looking for good edge retention, a thin blade and a Delica.
Especially with a Wharncliffe blade and cobalt blue scales. I will get my hands on one of those someday.

SE is something I hadn't considered. PE does almost everything I need done quite well. However, when my undershirts get demoted to rags, I cut them so I don't try to wear them again...and the serrated blade on my Leatherman Rebar is the best tool I've yet found for that task. I haven't tested that blade on paracord, and I should. Before I commit to SE or CE, I will buy sharpening gear that can be effectively used on serrations.

I'm pretty sure I've got it worked out: Delica (or maybe Endura) as a more immediate purchase, then something with SE, and hopefully pre-order the Delica in K390.

Thanks again to all for the help and education!
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

Here are a couple pics to help. If you do not have a se Spyderco, it is definitely something to experience. If you already have one, then the Chaparral is my favorite choice for a pocket knife. The salt2 ffg se is actually ever so slightly lighter than the Chaparral, too, if that helps.

The Chap is deceptively tough, an absolutely excellent slicer, and very size efficient. Still, if you have not tried a se...

awa54

Post by awa54 »

All the choices are good, this is the problem...
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
bjz

Post by bjz »

Tgmr05 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 5:56 pm

This picture might kill my paycheck this month! I might go for an H1 salt versus LC200N...I guy needs to eat.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Hi Dan,

I just can repeat what has been said already by others here:

If you want DFly slicing performance (or even better one): I'd consider two things:

- blade thickness/thinness in ffg
- serrated edge

In my experience a thinner (and somewhat tall) blade is the most important foundation for a good slicer, since most other parameters (edge angle, thickness behind the edge...) can be quite easily changed by the end user.
So: In a smaller knife don't take anything over 2.5mm stock, which means for example Delica, Watu, Chapparal (the latter even just 2.00 mm).

And don't let you talk into that "thinner blade stock is not strong enough" - I've used and abused my Chap FRN (2mm stock) really hard: No problems there.

Spydercos serrated edge (in ffg!) for me works better than PE in almost any task. Not only cause of the serrated pattern itself, but also due to the much steeper chisel grind.
Delica wharnie SE or the mentioned green Salt 2 SE would be perfect options!

If you want something larger, this thin bladestock is not available anymore. But here tapering and perhaps taller blades play more of a role, so around 3mm is just fine for me.
The Manix with its tall blade or the Pac Salt ffg SE would be good options imho...

Anyway, let us know what you got! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)