Spyderco shopping on Amazon - experiences

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pantagana23

Spyderco shopping on Amazon - experiences

Post by pantagana23 »

I've been looking to buy Chap CF the past few days, but the lack of stock of European dealers and shipping block to Europe of American dealers got me searching on Amazon.

I was one press away from buying when I remembered in the back of my head of fakes and damaged knives people received from Amazon (I think I read it back on Bladeforums).

How are your experiences?
TomAiello

Re: Spyderco shopping on Amazon - experiences

Post by TomAiello »

I won't buy Spyderco knives off Amazon. Amazon commingles inventory, so someone could easily buy the real one and then 'return' a fake in the box. Even Amazon themselves wouldn't know.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Yep, I don't even look at Amazon when it comes to knife purchases.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:49 pm
Yep, I don't even look at Amazon when it comes to knife purchases.
Same here.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Maybe a Byrd cara cara , but on a USA or Japanese spyderco other places are superior then Amazon
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

I have only bought from Amazon once because I wanted a Byrd Meadowlark G-10 and it was not available in any of the European online stores. It was a product sold directly by Amazon. Considering that if you don't like it you can return it without problem and that after collecting Spydercos for more than 30 years I think I can detect a fake quite well (although I am obviously not infallible) I took a chance. And it went well. An authentic knife that I received the next day.

But it is something that I see as a last resort with the peace of mind that if you receive something weird you can return it without problem and get your money back. And as long as the one who sells is Amazon (not a third party).
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
ncspyderfan

Post by ncspyderfan »

Some legitimate sellers sell through Amazon. So I consider buying through Amazon but only if it’s a seller I know. (Check the sold by and fulfilled by sections of the listing) I may be wrong but I think DLT trading does or at least used to sell through Amazon.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I don't consider Amazon for knives.
:unicorn
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I try not to make Amazon my goto for anything any more. Bezos has enough money. Support other vendors!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
z1r

Post by z1r »

I did once. It was a legit vendor that was out of stock on their website but still had the item listed on Amazon with shipping included. Since it was a dealer I bought from before, I ordered and got the item faster than if I had ordered from their website. But generally, I prefer to buy through one of the many legit dealers directly.
Trav64

Post by Trav64 »

I wouldnt take the risk, too easy to get ripped off imo.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

My next Spyderco may come from DLT Trading, and Knife Center and SMKW have always done right by me. As two vendors have a good track record with me, I see no reason to buy knives from Amazon...especially since their packers could cut corners off a circle.
Regular carrier: zome green Delica 4
Occasional/situational carrier: Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade
Display only: Manbug with Wharncliffe blade, Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade, zome green Delica 4
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

My first Spyderco came from Amazon. It was authentic but that was before I knew of other places to buy knives. I try not to buy anything from Amazon anymore.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I’ve probably purchased a Spyderco off Amazon Prime, but can’t say with certainty. Regardless, I wouldn’t hesitate to do so. I don’t see the downside--you either get what you want, or send it back. Since it's paid with a credit card, if the product is bogus, you don't pay. I just don't think there's a bogeyman around every corner with the capability of stealing my cash.

Edit:
Just checked my Amazon order history. I've purchased one Spyderco, a couple junk knives for experimentation, and a Cold Steel that I can't remember. Maybe it was a gift. Anyway, I got what I ordered.
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

When I started I bought off Amazon. I believe I lucked out. But once I learned of the incredibly plausible chance of getting a fake given their return policy I stopped. You don’t save that much anymore anyway.
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

Past Spyderco: Endura zdp; Manix 2 LW s110v; Paramilitary 2 s30v
stanolszews

Post by stanolszews »

I've had issues with getting "older" models from Amazon. For example, I ordered a Salt series knife that I would have expected to have the coated hardware as shown in the pictures, but I received an older version that had the non-coated hardware. I also ordered a UKPK that should have been the drop point FFG, but I received a drop point hollow grind, which I believe is from an older model (or is this a fake???). This type of thing has happened to me two or three times, but I've also had good experiences with ordering from Amazon.

All that being said, Amazon is becoming more of an evil genius for me every day. The "fast and easy everything" we want in America seems great on the surface, but I believe this "fast and easy" mindset is actually not a healthy approach to life. While Amazon does provide a good service, I have a growing desire to buy things from smaller, independently owned companies.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

I’ve had an Amazon account for almost 20 years now and have spent tens of thousands over the years. You can download a .csv of ALL your purchases from your account - it’s eye opening... In the last 5 years Amazon has gone downhill quite drastically. It seems that everything is a knock-off of something else. The reviews are flooded with fake 5 star reviews and glowing reviews from people who received free product.

I’ve had bad luck recently with a $1000+ item that was fake and a $700+ item that was a heavily used return of a completely different item stuck back in the correct box. 2 day shipping is nonexistent and product quality is a joke when everything is made in China by ever changing brands that can’t seem to stick around more than a couple months.

Now I hardly ever order unless it’s something I can’t find locally like Soon ramen or Shin Black, or a charging cable...

Would I buy a Spyderco knife on Amazon? H E L L Z no. The hassle isn’t worth it if you get a fake or used return that stays in the system. Thankfully Spyderco has a robust dealer network of solid companies who care about your experience and won’t sell you a fake or return. Right now white mountain knives has a 10% off coupon code. $Save10% Give them a try and support a small business that isn’t a multi billion corporation that could care less about you or what you buy.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

stanolszews wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:52 pm
I've had issues with getting "older" models from Amazon. For example, I ordered a Salt series knife that I would have expected to have the coated hardware as shown in the pictures, but I received an older version that had the non-coated hardware. I also ordered a UKPK that should have been the drop point FFG, but I received a drop point hollow grind, which I believe is from an older model (or is this a fake???). This type of thing has happened to me two or three times, but I've also had good experiences with ordering from Amazon.

All that being said, Amazon is becoming more of an evil genius for me every day. The "fast and easy everything" we want in America seems great on the surface, but I believe this "fast and easy" mindset is actually not a healthy approach to life. While Amazon does provide a good service, I have a growing desire to buy things from smaller, independently owned companies.
I feel the same. Instant gratification isn’t healthy and likely has had a negative impact on our “me, me, me” society that’s been a detriment to humanity.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

ncspyderfan wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:49 pm
Some legitimate sellers sell through Amazon. So I consider buying through Amazon but only if it’s a seller I know. (Check the sold by and fulfilled by sections of the listing) I may be wrong but I think DLT trading does or at least used to sell through Amazon.
DLT is awesome but this is a false assumption. When XYZ legitimate knifeco sends their Spyderco product into Amazon, XYZ legitimate knifeco product is placed into the SAME bin as product coming in from Joe Scammer Fakes LLC. A return (as previously mentioned) may also be placed into that same bin. When Kathy Sue Public purchases a spyopera on Amazon that is fulfilled by Amazon, she is buying product based on price from a vendor, NOT a specific product held by and shipped from the vendor she purchased from. When Amazon fulfills that order, a random product is pulled from the bin containing the spyoperas. Will Kathy Sue Public end up with the genuine knife sent in by XYZ legitimate knifeco, a fake sent in by Joe Scammer Fakes LLC, or could it be a soyopera box with a gas station knife inside as a result of comingled returns that weren’t rejected? It’s a crap shoot.

In summary, just because a well known and reputable company sells on Amazon doesn’t necessarily mean that you’ll receive product emanating from that business.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I usually avoid it, but I purchased a Dragonfly as a gift recently and went through Amazon to make use of some reward points. Knife came in just fine, and the box was even sealed with tape to prevent tampering - a nice touch.

Generally though, I'd avoid it.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.