Random guys honest assessment of the Slysz Bowie.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Random guys honest assessment of the Slysz Bowie.

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Just as the title says, I'm going to offer up my own honest assessment on one of the most sought after releases in recent years. I've handled many different Spyderco's as well as some other premium knives from other companies the past few years.

Many of you regulars or lurkers already know I'm pretty active here and like to post my own little reviews and tests on knives I get, since my job requires a lot of cutting and a lot of times similar materials day in and day out, making comparisons a bit easier to make.

I've never handled the original version of this knife, so with all the hype from the internet and Shabazz, I was coming into this knife with some pretty high expectations, though I also had some concerns. I've heard the term "Sebenza killer" thrown around a few times, and having now owned 2 different CRK models for a few months now, I feel pretty capable of making an honest comparison.

I have a Small Sebenza 31, which I don't think would be fair to compare to the Bowie because of the size difference, so I went into it thinking that the Bowie would be compared to my Large Inkosi Insingo.

Upon handling the Slysz Bowie, I wasn't immediately blown away by the feel/quality of the $400 knife in my hand. A much different initial feeling compared to my CRK's. It's hard to explain, it wasn't a disappointing feeling really, but more of a "ok, this is it?" feeling. It's comfortable, much slimmer than I imagined. It's tall, to help with filling out the hand, but it feels like it should also have a bit more width, hand filling properties to it. The anodized scales quickly shows marks just from handling the knife, as well as quite a contrast in color from under the wire clip compared to the rest of the scales. I do like the different color/coating on the hardware and clip though. I would have preferred an open back construction, the black G10 backspacer seems like a cheap route to take on such an expensive knife. The subtle contouring on the scales is nice though.

Here's a comparison showing how slim the knife is compared to the Inkosi, granted the Inkosi also has micarta inlays which make that knife, for me....much more comfortable and the ergonomic winner here.

Yes, the Bowie has great action and flicks open with authority (I know this is a HUGE thing for some people) BUT...the famed "middle finger flick" is nearly impossible due to the lock bar covering half the hole. The Inkosi is broken in and can be flicked via the thumb studs with the thumb or middle finger. If that sort of thing matters to you, the Inkosi gets the slight nod there for multiple ways to deploy the blade.

They are similar in size, but obviously the blade shapes are quite different. For my preferences and line of work, I find the Bowie shaped blade a bit tough to get used to. Really have to crank my wrist to utilize the tip, where the Insingo blade on the CRK is much better suited for my duties. The grind on the Bowie is very even, and the ffg is ideal. The CRK too a lot of work to get to where I have it now. Both knives have a beautifully done crowned spine, with the Bowie also having a flat area before the crowning just past the jimping, a great touch for added comfort and control when really choking up. So out of the box, the Bowie wins there. I'm sure I could get used to the tip with more practice and pocket time.

Both knives carry comfortably in the pocket, but the Inkosi does take up a bit less pocket real estate. Chalk up another point for CRK

Both knives lock up great! Strong, no worries about slipping. For whatever reason the Bowie was never CQI'd to have a lock bar insert, which seems like an odd feature to leave out on a knife in this price range. The Inkosi has one, as well as a thicker, bank vault frame lock. Easy point for the Inkosi...though I honestly don't see that being an issue for the Bowie. Chances are if you're buying a $400, you already have plenty of other knives to fiddle with and this should never wear out or cause issues.

Lastly, when it comes down to knives in this price range I also have to give the nod to CRK. You get a larger box with your knife. It comes with a DOB certificate, warranty card, tools for disassembling the knife, lube, loctite, microfiber cloth (some models even come with a leather pouch for carrying the knife) The Bowie didn't come with anything like that. Just little things like that I also consider when buying a knife on this price range.

I'm not knocking Spyderco or the Bowie. I think the Bowie is a very nice knife, one of the better quality Spyderco knives I've handled. But just from a day of carry and use, I can assure you...this knife is no "Sebenza killer" granted the Inkosi I compared this to has the inlays and made that a $550 knife, but I can assure you that the plain jane version of the Inkosi would still trump the Bowie at a very comparable price. It's something about CRK'S that you just have to handle one to understand.

Not that I understand anything about how the Bowie was made and is priced, but if you told me this was a $270-325 knife, I would probably say it's worth it. But at $400...absolutely not.

I hope this can help anybody debating on a Bowie or possibly any variant of a CRK in the future. Feel free to ask any other questions I may not have included here!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Re: Random guys honest assessment of the Slysz Bowie.

Post by The Meat man »

Excellent write up, Rick. :thumbsup:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Great review, although it does sorta confirm my thoughts about that price tag...

I didn’t know there was so much contouring though, the scales and spine are really gorgeous.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
blues

Post by blues »

Well done, Rick...from your father's lookalike. A good honest review from a respected member.
- Retired from the chase -
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Thanks for posting this Rick. It's good to have reviews with comparisons, with photos. Much appreciated!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Nice write up, thanks. It confirms my non-hands on assessment and why my money stayed in my account on this drop. In my opinion,the only win for the Bowie is that it looks better. Other opinions will differ.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
fixall

Post by fixall »

Great write-up. I don't agree with all of your conclusions, but I agree with the vast majority, as well as the overall gist of your review.

Mine came in today, and I do really like it. My quick thoughts are that it's much more comparable to the Massdrop Keen, than a Sebenza or Inkosi. I'd pay ~$300 for the knife, but I likely wouldn't pay $400 without the hype.

Last edited by fixall on Wed May 05, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

fixall wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:07 pm
Great write-up. I don't agree with all of your conclusions, but I agree with the vast majority, as well as the overall gist of your review.

Mine came in today, and I do really like it. My quick thoughts are that it's much more comparable to the Massdrop Keen, than a Sebenza or Inkosi. I'd pay ~$300 for the knife, but I likely wouldn't pay $400 without the hype.
Yep, $300 I think would be a pretty reasonable price. I'm also not trying to hate on the knife, because I do like it and think it's a nice piece. I just wouldn't want someone to buy it thinking it's on the same level as a CRK or other high end knives. I know some people can only budget for maybe 1 or 2 knife purchases per year, and I'd hate for them to save all their money and possibly end up disappointed.

-Rick
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Well done Rick. Great write up. I think you hit on all the valid points. I wonder if Shabazz still thinks this is a Sebenza killer?
Josh
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Yes, good effort on the write up.

I like both of the knives in general, great makers, with the following caveats. I like blades that are not as tall, preferring a profile like the Zero Tolerance Sinkevich 0452CF. I prefer folders with blades that are 3.75 to 5 inches in length. I have smaller folders and while I DO like them, I never find myself carrying them anymore. I started with small knives and have gravitated to the 4 inch blade.

After the Native Chief was released in S90V and I received it, that is all that I have been carrying. If narrower blades become available near 4 inches in length, I'm all in on either.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
vivi

Post by vivi »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I handled the bowie and K2 at new graham when they were both current production. Nothing about the bowie had me overly impressed, but it did feel well made.

Then again I had the same thoughts handling sebenzas there. Obviously extremely well crafted, but the overall designs did nothing for me. I love the blade shape on yours, though.

That K2 on the other hand, that one was impressive!
:unicorn
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Great write up with pics, thanks Rick!

FWIW, here it is with a Large 21 Plain Jane for size comparison. It's almost identical in width.

This Bowie has seen more carry and use than this Sebenza, but you'd never know it the way the finish hides everything so well.

aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Thanks for the review. A very useful comparison.

Personally I don’t get why it gets compared to the Sebenza so often. Sure the price is similar, but the knives are not.
If anyone thinks that the SB is the perfect knife for their use, the Sebenza probably isn’t.

Theoretically, If I could only have one of them, I would probably have picked the SB. I like the Sebenza a lot and it’s probably the better knife technically speaking, but it’s less unique in its features.
A spydiehole titanium frame lock on washers, with lots of belly and decent geometry for cutting is both very rare and not without useful applications as far as I’m concerned.

As it stands though, I probably won’t even consider the SB unless we see it in regular production or at the very least a sprint run with local availability.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Really appreciate you sharing your perspective, you make some good points.
Last edited by Matus on Thu May 06, 2021 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

real nice review, and interesting observation on the tip geometry
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Good work! You’ve got me looking at Sebenzas now....
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Thanks everyone! I appreciate that you appreciate the feedback.

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

abbazaba wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 3:03 pm
Great write up with pics, thanks Rick!

FWIW, here it is with a Large 21 Plain Jane for size comparison. It's almost identical in width.

This Bowie has seen more carry and use than this Sebenza, but you'd never know it the way the finish hides everything so well.

Thanks for including those photos!! Those are very helpful, as most people do gravitate towards the Sebenza over the Inkosi. I knew the Inkosi was more robust, even without inlays but didn't realize it was that much bulkier than the Sebenza. Great shots abbazaba!
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Wed May 05, 2021 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Double post.

-Rick
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

At $400, I’d like a nice machined titanium clip, steel lock bar insert, titanium barrel spacers, M390, original finish on both blade and titanium.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln