Random guys honest assessment of the Slysz Bowie.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Re: Random guys honest assessment of the Slysz Bowie.

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Hi Rick, really nice review, thanks for sharing your thoughts.
I have the original SB (which I got before it was disco'd and the prices went crazy). I don't have any Sebenzas (although would like a large one some day) to compare it to.
I agree with most of your comments specific to the SB. I did want to comment on the backspacer. I do like the backspacer in general, but wish they had maybe gone with a blue one on the original, to give it some pop (and maybe because I would like it to match the Techno 1 that I have).
It's a good knife, but I wouldn't buy one for $400, or even $300. That's just over my absolute max knife budget. Although obviously that limitation may have to be lifted if I ever want a Sebenza.
Again, thanks for the (very thorough) review!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Thanks, Rick! Great write up, as always. I missed out on the drop for this one, but I randomly entered a contest/lotto thing to buy one for a very small mark-up on IG, and I actually won it. So...bowie inbound. I've gotta judge this knife for myself, but I'm quite certain that it will not be a Sebenza killer for me. But I've got plenty of knives that I really, really love that also aren't Sebenza-killers. I've got plenty of room in my heart for them all! ;) :D

As an aside, Keith Kevin Ken did a very interesting vid on this Bowie. He's a CC member and a huuuge Spyderco fan, but he agrees it's definitely not a Sebenza-killer.
https://youtu.be/fYYD-pXzpaU
Last edited by JuPaul on Wed May 05, 2021 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Thank you, definitely make a point on value vs machine work.

I have been eyeing some $400 knives and was on the fence about Slysz Bowie. Really been looking closely at Hinderer and CRK and think I am on the right track.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Great write up! No secret that I love this kind of reviews by folks who really use their knives frequently and without worries (actually these reviews are not really frequent)

I do like frame locks and the wide blade and still pretty light weight of the Slysz Bowie... but think I'd not pay that much money for any folder, regardless if it is "worth" it or not (but rather try three FRN models instead... ;) )

Rick, did you put enough use into the knife to give an opinion on its XHP? I actually really like that steel in my Chap, but can never tell exactly how much of this is due to the steel, and how much to the exceptionally good cutting geometry of the Chaparrals blade.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Excellent write up. I easily passed this one up.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I agree with Ramzar 100%....glad I didn't waste $400 hahahah
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Great review, thank you. I passed on this one.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 6:35 pm
Thanks, Rick! Great write up, as always. I missed out on the drop for this one, but I randomly entered a contest/lotto thing to buy one for a very small mark-up on IG, and I actually won it. So...bowie inbound. I've gotta judge this knife for myself, but I'm quite certain that it will not be a Sebenza killer for me. But I've got plenty of knives that I really, really love that also aren't Sebenza-killers. I've got plenty of room in my heart for them all! ;) :D

As an aside, Keith Kevin Ken did a very interesting vid on this Bowie. He's a CC member and a huuuge Spyderco fan, but he agrees it's definitely not a Sebenza-killer.
https://youtu.be/fYYD-pXzpaU
That's pretty cool you still managed to get one! Very interested in what you think, as you've been getting some high end knives left and right lately :cool:

I saw that video yesterday and I was pretty surprised, but had to laugh when he called out Shabazz and his quote for what he thinks about comparing it to a Sebenza hahaha! I did not expect that :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:46 pm
Rick, did you put enough use into the knife to give an opinion on its XHP? I actually really like that steel in my Chap, but can never tell exactly how much of this is due to the steel, and how much to the exceptionally good cutting geometry of the Chaparrals blade.
This particular exclusive came with M390 steel. I only gave it some use yesterday, I'm thinking I'll most likely end up selling it off so I don't want to chance any damage. Great thing about this model is you can definitely get your money back if you choose to part with it! Still on the fence though.

I did have a Chap frn a few years ago, I think it was my 4th Spyderco knife. The late Michael Scott used to rave about that knife, and he, like you do with the new guys around here these days...convinced me to grab one ;)

I enjoyed the knife and the steel. Easy to work with and sharpen, one of the first steels I really started to notice an improvement in my sharpening ability.

-Rick
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Nice review Rick! Your thoughts fall pretty well inline with mine.. or I guess, having never actually handled the SB, what I think my thoughts would be..

Agree with you 100% on the g10 backspacer.. it never quite looked right to me..

I also like your paragraph about the extras included with the Sebenza.. Seems like a little thing on its face, but the attention to detail by CRK in every aspect, from the knife itself, right down to the box/paperwork/included lanyard/cloth/tools/grease really helps set them apart (above & beyond) here. Strictly speaking, do I think it's absolutely necessary that these items are included? No, probably not. But they are. I appreciate that. *

Don't get me wrong, I love Spyderco as well.. all things considered though, the price on this one does seem a bit steep to me. The SB does seem like a pretty great knife in its own right, but for being similarly priced, I don't think it's any sort of "Sebenza-killer" either..

* I also love, love, love that CRK actually encourages dis/assembly & maintenance of their knives by the user, but I suppose that's a slightly-off-topic rant for another thread.. :p
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Why is the Swayback $273 and the Bowie $400. What am I missing?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Great review, thank you!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Even Shabazz back pedaled a little. Just because someone sets the hype train in motion does not mean that they are the one still at the wheel.

“Sebenza Killer” and “not a $450 knife” are kind of a contradiction. At $300 it was competition to a CRK, at $400 it is not.

I don’t agree with some of what Shabazz says but I think he is being honest in what he says. This video was his attempt to bring folks back to reality.
7FB5B4DC-26B0-426D-B036-6E5CABB33096.jpeg
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Thu May 06, 2021 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
kobold

Post by kobold »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:51 am

I was asking myself the same thing.
Hype?
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

kobold wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:58 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:

I was asking myself the same thing.
Hype?
I saw just yesterday in the deals thread there was a CRAZY deal on the Swayback AND Bradley Bowie for $299 I believe it was!?!? I was tempted to give it a go, but figured I've spent WAY too much money these past 2 weeks on knives (Bowie, Guardian 3 and REX45 Chief) The Swayback isn't really my style, but would love to have both in hand and see why such a huge price discrepancy!

-Rick
Danke

Post by Danke »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
It has to be the numbers. The smaller the run the more expensive it will be.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:18 pm
fixall wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:07 pm
Great write-up. I don't agree with all of your conclusions, but I agree with the vast majority, as well as the overall gist of your review.

Mine came in today, and I do really like it. My quick thoughts are that it's much more comparable to the Massdrop Keen, than a Sebenza or Inkosi. I'd pay ~$300 for the knife, but I likely wouldn't pay $400 without the hype.
Yep, $300 I think would be a pretty reasonable price. I'm also not trying to hate on the knife, because I do like it and think it's a nice piece. I just wouldn't want someone to buy it thinking it's on the same level as a CRK or other high end knives. I know some people can only budget for maybe 1 or 2 knife purchases per year, and I'd hate for them to save all their money and possibly end up disappointed.

Sorry for asking this off-topic question, Rick, but it is motivated by your references to the Insingo for the comparison.

As a collector, I have always been tempted to add a CRK to it but never made up my mind because the price seemed crazy to me.

It is not a question of money because in my collection I have custom navajas made with noble materials for which I paid two or three times what the scalpers ask on eBay for an SB of the original release. It was, rather, that I had the idea that there was a certain hype, although it referred in this case to the entire brand (not to a given model).

After reading your analysis (congratulations because it is excellent (complete and balanced)) I have doubts. In your opinion, an Insingo is really worth the 550 USD that it costs in the US (I will not refer to its price in Europe because the factors we have been talking about many times would distort the picture)?

Thanks in advance.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Yeah...supply. And demand. I suppose the steel upgrade and the anodizing factor in, too.
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:56 am
Even Shabazz back pedaled a little. Just because someone sets the hype train in motion does not mean that they are the one still at the wheel.

“Sebenza Killer” and “not a $450 knife” are kind of a contradiction. At $300 it was competition to a CRK, at $400 it is not.

I don’t agree with some of what Shabazz says but I think he is being honest in what he says. This video was his attempt to bring folks back to reality.

7FB5B4DC-26B0-426D-B036-6E5CABB33096.jpeg
We're all forgetting that something is worth what people will pay for it. So this is, in fact, a $450 knife. In fact, it's a $600 knife if ebay is any indication! Value/worth isn't just a matter of materials and labor, there's also demand to factor in.
- Julia

Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 12:34 pm

They are similar in size, but obviously the blade shapes are quite different. For my preferences and line of work, I find the Bowie shaped blade a bit tough to get used to. Really have to crank my wrist to utilize the tip, where the Insingo blade on the CRK is much better suited for my duties. The grind on the Bowie is very even, and the ffg is ideal. The CRK too a lot of work to get to where I have it now. Both knives have a beautifully done crowned spine, with the Bowie also having a flat area before the crowning just past the jimping, a great touch for added comfort and control when really choking up. So out of the box, the Bowie wins there. I'm sure I could get used to the tip with more practice and pocket time.
May I ask what you did and why that took a lot of work with the Sebenza?
/ David