Random guys honest assessment of the Slysz Bowie.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Menipo

Re: Random guys honest assessment of the Slysz Bowie.

Post by Menipo »

Matus wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 4:51 am
Menipo wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:51 pm

... In any case, there are no CRKs available in European online sellers apart from some left-handed models and some Small ones (which I'm not interested in).
You can find the large Sebenza here - it is my preferred shop, 100% reliable with super nice stuff running it.
https://altonaer-silberwerkstatt.de/sho ... al?number=

Vielen Dank, Matus! Ich kannte diesen Händler nicht.

Given that it will be my first CRK and that I am going to spend almost 600 euros (around 720 USD - our American friends can see what it means to buy premium American knives in Europe :D ) I would like to buy the one I like the most: the Inkosi Insingo. But they do not have it in stock, so I have left a request so that as soon as it is back in stock they will let me know.

Bis bald!
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Matus

Post by Matus »

Menipo wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 5:35 am

Given that it will be my first CRK and that I am going to spend almost 600 euros (around 720 USD - our American friends can see what it means to buy premium American knives in Europe :D ) I would like to buy the one I like the most: the Inkosi Insingo. But they do not have it in stock, so I have left a request so that as soon as it is back in stock they will let me know.

Bis bald!
Nichts zu danken :)

Yes, CRK charges heavily for those inlays. I would one day love to get a large Sebenza with a black micarta inlay (thouogh I would prefer MagnaCut over S35VN/S45VN steels. Plus the EU prices are logically even higher than those in US. Still - do keep an eye on that shop, probably one of the best in DE, plus they are an actual brick and mortar shop, not just an online retail.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Matus wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 5:46 am
Yes, CRK charges heavily for those inlays. I would one day love to get a large Sebenza with a black micarta inlay (thouogh I would prefer MagnaCut over S35VN/S45VN steels. Plus the EU prices are logically even higher than those in US. Still - do keep an eye on that shop, probably one of the best in DE, plus they are an actual brick and mortar shop, not just an online retail.
Those inlays are a great choice if you end up going with them. They don't only look good and break things up a bit, but they really make the handle that much more comfortable as well.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Matus wrote:
Menipo wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 5:35 am

Bis bald!
Nichts zu danken :)

Rest assured that I will, thank you very much.

In fair consideration I leave you the link to a similar business in Spain. They have a physical store in Pamplona (the city of Sanfermines, where some brave (or unconscious) run in front of the bulls) and that Hemingway made famous throughout the world). They also sell online and, as here there is not much demand for expensive foreign knives (we also have our Solingen (Toledo)), sometimes they have models that are not usually found and at the prices at which they were marked when they were put on sale years ago. I bought an Endela 20% cheaper than the cheapest one in any other European online store.

https://www.cuchilleriagomez.com/index.php?lang=en
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 6:03 am
Matus wrote:
Those inlays are a great choice if you end up going with them. They don't only look good and break things up a bit, but they really make the handle that much more comfortable as well.

I could not agree more. Inlays are for me a "must" in knives with metal handles (if available) for comfort and to prevent them from being slippery.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Wasn't the Sebenza 21 was replaced by the Sebenza 31 about two years ago? CRK has yet to make a Sebenza 31 with the Insingo blade shape, but I hope they do eventually. I love the looks of the Sebenza21 Insingo, but I have no interest in the Inkosi with its finger grooves.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

ugaarguy wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 1:25 pm
Wasn't the Sebenza 21 was replaced by the Sebenza 31 about two years ago? CRK has yet to make a Sebenza 31 with the Insingo blade shape, but I hope they do eventually. I love the looks of the Sebenza21 Insingo, but I have no interest in the Inkosi with its finger grooves.
You are correct. The 31 has to have some coming along, it's such a popular blade design!

On the Inkosi...I don't know if this would apply to everyone, but I know for myself the Manix just melts into my hand. The grooves line up perfectly with the size/length of my fingers/palm with a regular grip or while choking up. The Inkosi, though obviously a different design also falls into place perfectly for me. Just a little food for thought, depending on your feelings about the Manix.

-Rick
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

This thread somehow has become some sort of Chris Reeve discussion thing, hasn't it? ;)
notorious fidgeteer
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

eventhorizon wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 1:59 pm
This thread somehow has become some sort of Chris Reeve discussion thing, hasn't it? ;)
Haha, it has in a way. But, that's ok because I was trying to bring to light with direct comparisons and differences between CRK's and the Slysz Bowie. Hopefully helping people with questions they have or on possible future purchases, because lets face it...these knives aren't cheap!

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Here it is with my CRK Small 31 just for reference.

-Rick
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

So much discussion of Chris Reeves stuff here on Sal's Spyderco forum. At what point does it become rude to Sal & crew?
The comparison is natural and useful to discuss, but it could go to far.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:33 pm
Here it is with my CRK Small 31 just for reference.
Is it just the angle of the pic and knives, or does the SB really have about the same grip area as the small Sebenza?
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:38 pm
So much discussion of Chris Reeves stuff here on Sal's Spyderco forum. At what point does it become rude to Sal & crew?
The comparison is natural and useful to discuss, but it could go to far.

Maybe it's a discussion on the wrong thread but not on the wrong forum, IMHO.

I am firmly convinced that Sal & crew have no problem in that we, who talk about Spyderco and our Spydies 23 hours a day here, spend 1 on talking about other brands. If not, there would be no sub-forum "Off topic" and, within it, a thread called "What" Other" is in your pocket ???", which has been alive for 6 years and has 218 pages.....

My apologies if I have helped derail the original topic but it did not seem to me so serious to do an excursion for once ...
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

ugaarguy wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:14 pm
Is it just the angle of the pic and knives, or does the SB really have about the same grip area as the small Sebenza?
Sorry about that, yes it was just the angle. Here's a more accurate photo of the sizes.

-Rick
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

I mean, if we're expanding it to "random guys' honest assessment of Spydercos and competitors" and can keep it friendly and the footprints shiny... I'm on board :D

I'll be the contrarian and say that while I think CRK has good designs and excellent manufacturing, they don't capture the essence of what I want in a folder nearly as well as various Spyderco models do. A few years after I really got into knives, I tried them out - PJs, a micarta inlay, Wilson Combats (all 21s). I've kept the Wilson Combats + a Mnandi for fancy events and sold the others. I like them but I generally find Spydercos

a) are more ergonomic in use
b) cut better - the Sebenza is actually pretty good with the hollow grind and not being 4mm thick, but FFGs with not too much upsweep at the tip just work better for me (yeah, this would be an issue on the Slysz Bowie for me...give me leaf blades and Endura-style clip points with low tips)
c) have better steel - the soft S35VN they were using then is difficult to get a crisp edge on and it drives me nuts (I've heard this has improved, though?)
d) have better action for my use - a "hydraulic" framelock like CRK makes is very smooth but has neither a crisp, fast, ball detent action when opening nor a backlock's self-close bias.

Additionally, I find Spydercos have sufficiently good build quality for my taste, if that makes sense? CRK may be the gold standard, but Taichung build quality is about the point where I stop being able to point to anything to nitpick.

So absolutely try them out - they've been a mainstay for decades for a reason, and I'm not getting rid of my WC 21 pair - but don't feel too bad if you realize you still prefer Spyderco. :D

(If the question is about how best to spend $400, Bradley 2 + K390 Endura + dual-side CBN benchstone gets my vote. The math starts looking even better if you got your Bradley 2 when they came out in 2015 for $128. :p )

Cheers, folks. Whatever you carry, enjoy it.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Cool pic!

While the SB has plenty of Sebenza queues and nods, in hand the GB2 shares much more with the sebbie because of its size and ergos IMO. And I think your GB2 + K390 Endura + CBN Stones idea would stand up to almost any argument on how to best use $400!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Great review Rick.

I think that the thing a lot of folks don't get about CRK until they hold them is that they're engineered to finer tolerances than pretty much anything else out there. As a maker, they showcase a level of mastery that is unrivaled in my book.

You can buy pocket knives with fancier steel, you can buy pocket knives with fancier jewel-inlaid handles, you can buy pocket knives with newer, innovative designs, but frankly, I don't think you can buy pocket knife that is better made.

I do wish they offered a round hole option on the sebenza - I still hate thumb studs.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

It dont impress me, curious? yes but no.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Since we are doing a SB vs Sebenza, let's factor in the significant warranty differences too.

But I agree that the GB2 is the real value here in more than one way.

GB2 > Sebenza > SB
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

kobold wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 1:38 am
Since we are doing a SB vs Sebenza, let's factor in the significant warranty differences too.

But I agree that the GB2 is the real value here in more than one way.

GB2 > Sebenza > SB
Though the GB2 is a fine knife and one of the very few knives I regret selling, I couldn't place it before a Sebenza. It's missing a lot of the qualities (which is obviously reflected in the price) The GB2 could use a little refinement which would increase the price, but depending on what was done and how much it added to the cost would make an already great knife that much better in my book!

-Rick