Random guys honest assessment of the Slysz Bowie.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Random guys honest assessment of the Slysz Bowie.

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Can't disagree on that value standpoint above on the 2 knives with the bench stone. I would recommend that to anybody starting off in the knife hobby. I think once you're at the point of buying a $400+ knife, you likely already have a lot of bases covered and have a better idea of what you are seeking when looking in that higher price range.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
kobold

Post by kobold »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 5:18 am
kobold wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 1:38 am
Since we are doing a SB vs Sebenza, let's factor in the significant warranty differences too.

But I agree that the GB2 is the real value here in more than one way.

GB2 > Sebenza > SB
Though the GB2 is a fine knife and one of the very few knives I regret selling, I couldn't place it before a Sebenza. It's missing a lot of the qualities (which is obviously reflected in the price) The GB2 could use a little refinement which would increase the price, but depending on what was done and how much it added to the cost would make an already great knife that much better in my book!

I meant when it comes to value, the GB2 wins. It is thinner behind the edge, better grind, it cuts better and it is M4, which is a better steel. IOW, the blade overall is better.
And many prefer the spydie-hole to the pointy thumb stud.

The ergonomics are kinda better on the GB2 compared to a PJ Sebenza. Almost equal, but not equal.
Also, in practice, not having to use a knife with a metal handle in winter gives another advantage to the GB2 (Sebenzas with inlays are even more expensive).
Build quality, CRK wins of course, but the GB2 will also last a lifetime..
They both look good, not even that different when we picture a Sebenza with CF inlays.
Warranty might or might be not enough to tilt the scales, it can go either way.
And the price - the difference is huge.
Ultimately, as Sal wrote, whether it is worth it, is personal (or something like that).
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Nice write-up, thanks for the review and comparison.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I appreciate the honest opinion. I love the looks of the knife, but a big, heavy blade and a frame or liner lock do not mix, in my book. That is why I never bought one. The price is too high for a knife I am sure will cause me problems in real use one day.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 4:28 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:14 pm
Is it just the angle of the pic and knives, or does the SB really have about the same grip area as the small Sebenza?
Sorry about that, yes it was just the angle. Here's a more accurate photo of the sizes.

Thanks for this additional pic. The useable grip areas still look really close. Based on my experience with the Spydiechef, it looks like the grip area on SB would be a little cramped for my chunky fingers.

Skywalker wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 7:17 pm
d) have better action for my use - a "hydraulic" framelock like CRK makes is very smooth but has neither a crisp, fast, ball detent action when opening nor a backlock's self-close bias.

Additionally, I find Spydercos have sufficiently good build quality for my taste, if that makes sense? CRK may be the gold standard, but Taichung build quality is about the point where I stop being able to point to anything to nitpick.

(If the question is about how best to spend $400, Bradley 2 + K390 Endura + dual-side CBN benchstone gets my vote. The math starts looking even better if you got your Bradley 2 when they came out in 2015 for $128. :p )
Interesting points. I enjoy how crisp and flick-able my Sage 5 LW and Domino are. But I find myself more often carrying a Native 5 or a Sage 2. So, my revealed preference is towards what you describe as the more "hydraulic" action. I'm sure I'll eventually buy a Sebenza (probably once the Insingo blade shape makes its way into the large 31), and I'll probably enjoy it. But the already excellent build quality and very tight tolerances of the Native 5 line, along with the noted advantage of the self closure bias, mean that the fluted CF / S90V version of the Native 5 is probably a better fit for me.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Add me to the baffled group. But I don't care for metal handles and could take or leave frame locks. It is definitely way overpriced IMO.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
fixall

Post by fixall »

Alright, I'm just gonna say it...

I think the Slysz SpydieChef is an all-around better knife than the Slysz Bowie. Come at me. :P

skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

fixall...........No problem. You are not alone.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

RamZar wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 5:30 pm
At $400, I’d like a nice machined titanium clip, steel lock bar insert, titanium barrel spacers, M390, original finish on both blade and titanium.
i also agree.

so glad someone can be honest about value and spydercos. it did finally help me decide not to get it. i was interested in a pits as well but..
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9