Endura sized knife with finger choil

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

Endura sized knife with finger choil

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Why don't we have a Spyderco version of the Byrd Cara Cara 2? It's pretty much an Endura with a finger choil. I know a few people would like to see one based on the mods I've seen.
Last edited by Josh Crutchley on Thu May 06, 2021 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomAiello

Re: Endura finger choil

Post by TomAiello »

Would the Stretch fill that need? Especially the straight spine stretch, which looks pretty similar to the Cara Cara 2.

I own two Cara Cara 2s and I find the ergonomics superior to the Endura, so I'm with you. But I think the Stretch fills that gap for me in the Spyderco line up.
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

I like the endura the way it is. One of my favorites. There are plenty of choiled models already and I’m preferring “handle forward” trend at the moment. The police 4 lightweight is basically what your asking for just larger.

What I wouldn’t mind seeing is a lightweight Kapara with a back lock. Endura sized with a finger choil And Taichung quality. Sounds like a winner to me
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 12:25 pm
Why don't we have a Spyderco version of the Byrd Cara Cara 2? It's pretty much an Endura with a finger choil. I know a few people would like to see one based on the mods I've seen.

Because there are so many choices with a dedicated finger choil already.

The Endura though for me is a better design with its Ricasso: The hand is closer to the edge when the knife is gripped on the actual handle, and one can still perfectly choke up on the Ricasso (for me better than on many actual choils)

So please no changes to the perfect Endura design...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

Yeah there’s already a lot of other choiled designs, and personally I don’t see the need for it. IMO choils are best on knives like the para 3 and the Native, and seems unnecessary on larger blades. Enduras are perfect as is. My favorite spyderco, would hate to see it changed.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I agree that there's a lot of great knives available and the Straight Spine Stretch 2 would definitely work. Maybe the CC2 can get better blade steel one day.
FourStringFiend wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 12:58 pm
I like the endura the way it is. One of my favorites. There are plenty of choiled models already and I’m preferring “handle forward” trend at the moment. The police 4 lightweight is basically what your asking for just larger.

What I wouldn’t mind seeing is a lightweight Kapara with a back lock. Endura sized with a finger choil And Taichung quality. Sounds like a winner to me
Yeah the Police is a little too big for my liking. I haven't handled the Kapara yet but do like the styling not sure how I feel about a LW thought.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

No choil. Not ever. Not no how.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

FourStringFiend wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 12:58 pm

I really liked the CF on my Kapara, but still would have preferred FRN in my real day to day use: The combination of slick CF and a comp.lock (that has a pretty small cutout on top) was not really userfriendly in outdoor-conditions.

And the Kapara design with its choil that sacrifices almost no cutting edge is cool (and makes so much sense in a knife with long handle).

I don't think though that a backlock would fit in the very narrow / "not tall" handle while keeping the blade as it is.
A linerlock instead of a comp.lock would fit though and for me be an improvement too.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’m not much interested in making existing models more like other existing models.

I suspect the differences we find among Spydies are what Sal, Eric, and their collaborators intended.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:55 am
I’m not much interested in making existing models more like other existing models.

I suspect the differences we find among Spydies are what Sal, Eric, and their collaborators intended.

This needed to be quoted. And maybe tattooed somewhere.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

wrdwrght wrote:

I wasn't really asking to modify an existing design it was just that the Endura was the closest size to use as an example. I guess the title should have been Spyderco Cara Cara 2. That's all I want a more premium CC2. I couldn't imagine asking Spyderco to modify a knife I haven't even owned.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:09 pm
wrdwrght wrote:

I wasn't really asking to modify an existing design it was just that the Endura was the closest size to use as an example. I guess the title should have been Spyderco Cara Cara 2. That's all I want a more premium CC2. I couldn't imagine asking Spyderco to modify a knife I haven't even owned.

Sorry, Josh, then I got you wrong too when I replied... :o
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:17 pm
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:09 pm
wrdwrght wrote:

Sorry, Josh, then I got you wrong too when I replied... :o
Well I could have done better with the title. I understand where people got confused.

Edit:The threads title was just updated
vivi

Re: Endura sized knife with finger choil

Post by vivi »

I've always felt like the Cara Cara handle was an improvement across the board compared to the Endura 4.

Even ignoring the choil vs no choil debate,the rest of the handle feels better in my grip as well.

You should be able to still find the Ti Cara Caras if you look around.
:unicorn
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

vivi wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:49 pm
I've always felt like the Cara Cara handle was an improvement across the board compared to the Endura 4.

Even ignoring the choil vs no choil debate,the rest of the handle feels better in my grip as well.

You should be able to still find the Ti Cara Caras if you look around.
knifeworks.com
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Yea, I'm in this camp too, though anytime someone mentions it around here everyone has to shout the idea down - go figure.

You've got the Stretch & the PM2 at about 3.5, or the Military at 4". I like 'em all!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 11:52 pm
Yea, I'm in this camp too, though anytime someone mentions it around here everyone has to shout the idea down - go figure.

You've got the Stretch & the PM2 at about 3.5, or the Military at 4". I like 'em all!

Actually not;)
I'd be not opposed to an "endura-sized knife with a finger choil" aditionally to the existing Endura 4 (which btw. the Chief is to some degree) - but the original thread title (then edited) was "Endura finger choil": And I am certainly against replacing the existing Endura with yet another finger choil knife. Plenty of options concerning the latter already, but very few "ricasso" knives - which for me happens to be the "better choil"... :)
awa54

Post by awa54 »

This dovetails with my recurring interest in a C54 Calypso Sprint or reissue.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 12:20 am
Actually not;)
I'd be not opposed to an "endura-sized knife with a finger choil" aditionally to the existing Endura 4 (which btw. the Chief is to some degree) - but the original thread title (then edited) was "Endura finger choil": And I am certainly against replacing the existing Endura with yet another finger choil knife. Plenty of options concerning the latter already, but very few "ricasso" knives - which for me happens to be the "better choil"... :)
Gernot, we've had this discussion no fewer than 5 times in the past two years. You are the first to chime in about how a choil would ruin the Endura & Delica nearly every time it's mentioned. :rolleyes: For some of us, it would be a vast improvement.

I hear the point about not changing the Delica or Endura, because clearly a lot of folks like them fine as-is. However, the addition of a 50-50 choil á la the Cara Cara & Meadowlark as an optional secondary model doesn't seem very likely to me - the tooling is expensive. Thus, for those of us who'd prefer the knife with a choil, replacing the current model makes the most sense.

I know it's a pipe dream, and as I've said before, I can accept that the Endura & Delica just aren't for me. After all, I don't even like the "points" on the handle, so that's another major design change that isn't likely to happen. So in the end, we are agreed: an "Endure-sized knife," rather than "an updated Endura," is probably the best option.

The Stretch XL, once it comes out in a few years, is another knife which may fill this niche for the OP: 4" blade, 50/50 choil, and of course a palm swell instead of the "points" of the Delica & Endura - all wins in my book.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 12:01 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 12:20 am
Gernot, we've had this discussion no fewer than 5 times in the past two years. You are the first to chime in about how a choil would ruin the Endura & Delica nearly every time it's mentioned. :rolleyes: For some of us, it would be a vast improvement.

I hear the point about not changing the Delica or Endura, because clearly a lot of folks like them fine as-is. However, the addition of a 50-50 choil á la the Cara Cara & Meadowlark as an optional secondary model doesn't seem very likely to me - the tooling is expensive. Thus, for those of us who'd prefer the knife with a choil, replacing the current model makes the most sense.

I know it's a pipe dream, and as I've said before, I can accept that the Endura & Delica just aren't for me. After all, I don't even like the "points" on the handle, so that's another major design change that isn't likely to happen. So in the end, we are agreed: an "Endure-sized knife," rather than "an updated Endura," is probably the best option.

The Stretch XL, once it comes out in a few years, is another knife which may fill this niche for the OP: 4" blade, 50/50 choil, and of course a palm swell instead of the "points" of the Delica & Endura - all wins in my book.

Of course I give my opinion on this whenever a newer member or someone who might not be here frequently brings up the "Endura choil thing" again... just like you always state that you'd like the idea. Both fine, both perhaps interesting for the newer members who"d like to discuss this (for them for the first time) :)

But I'd ask you in all friendliness: Please think about what would happen if the Endura would become yet another finger choil knife: Practically no ricasso choice left, but in return the zillion and first option for the choil-folks... :(

(Same goes for the finger grooves which I happen to like)