Salty Stretch ! ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bobnikon

Salty Stretch ! ?

Post by bobnikon »

I for one will throw my support and wallet (for what that is worth) behind the Salty Stretch. I would be happy with either spine configuration, but if possible would like to keep the liners. I really like the current heft of the stretch.

Just one of the hundreds of "can we have a..." but this is one I would really like to see.

Cheers
Erik
kennethsime

Re: Salty Stretch ! ?

Post by kennethsime »

I'm more motivated by the performance benefits of tool steels than corrosion-resistant steels, but I would consider picking up an ultralight, liner-less Stretch which happens to be a Salt model in LC200N.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:06 am
I'm more motivated by the performance benefits of tool steels than corrosion-resistant steels, but I would consider picking up an ultralight, liner-less Stretch which happens to be a Salt model in LC200N.
K390 is out there. That is why LC200N is the next logical step. Then you can have the extremes!

Cheers
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'm a bit surprised it has not already happened. :confused:
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'm curious if the sales of the K390 Straight Spine Stretch will support the notion that an LC200N Straight Spine Stretch Salt would be a worthy iteration? I think the original Stretch just wasn't popular enough to ever warrant plunking down $20K for a new FRN mold to make it linerless.

This also makes me wonder if the reception to the Endela has them planning a Salt version. It is my favorite model at the moment, and it seems to be gaining in popularity. I'd like to see an Endela Salt before a Stretch Salt, but that is just me being greedy! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:26 am
I'm a bit surprised it has not already happened. :confused:

It's a head scratcher to me too. I wonder how the Stretch sells vs other Seki models? I would much rather have a Stretch Salt than a Pacific Salt just based on ergonomics alone and it would be stiff competition vs an Atlantic.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

I don’t mind the standard blade shape but it seems like the SS will be more popular, that’s based all on talk around here of course.

If they make Straight spine standard going forward I don’t see why it couldn’t happen. If the popularity breeds more versions I’m sure fans of the the OG blade shape would be ok with the change in the long run.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 11:28 am

This also makes me wonder if the reception to the Endela has them planning a Salt version. It is my favorite model at the moment, and it seems to be gaining in popularity. I'd like to see an Endela Salt before a Stretch Salt, but that is just me being greedy! :D

Agreed.
I'd prefer an "Endela" Salt coming out before a Stretch Salt 2. And think it would make more sense, just as the missing middle piece between Salt 2 and Pac Salt.

I also think it would sell really well in the green LC 200N version.

And it would be lighter and slimmer in carry than a linerless Stretch 2. (Since WITH liners the Endela weighs just a tad more than a Manix 2 LW,while the Stretch 2 as "much" as a PM2) - and for me the Seki Salts shine especially as extreme light weight options for days when one wants this.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Yes, of course, let's do it! I assume it hasn't happened yet because of sales, but maybe it still will.
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

If it were an linerless Salt Stretch-1, I'd buy more than one. Offer it in both Plain Edge & a full Serrated/Spyder Edge too.

Stretch-2 though, not my preference, firm pass.

u.w.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

u.w. wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:19 pm
If it were an linerless Salt Stretch-1, I'd buy more than one. Offer it in both Plain Edge & a full Serrated/Spyder Edge too.

Stretch-2 though, not my preference, firm pass.

u.w.
Yes, a rerurn of the "1" would be great, at least as a sprint or something... but won't ever happen according to Sal, since the FRN molds do not exist anymore... :(
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

perhaps...

Referencing the "Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up" thread,
(viewtopic.php?t=87077&start=20) that was started less than 10 months ago now, might be an suitable example. There are many though,

Enough of us have been around long enough to have learned that sometimes, going back from where we came (or "backwards"), is progress - and/or the way forward...

A "lesson" that became very apparent to me across the various/numerous times I somehow managed to get "lost" in the mountains/woods. Continuing on, was actually not the way forward - though it was in front of me...
When that "lesson" dawned on me, up in Maine in the thick, wild, vast northern woods of Maine, realizing I hadn't seen a blaze for well over 30 minutes (so at least a couple of miles) and there was no semblance of any trail anywhere around, it also amazed me just how vast, or encompassing (or the symbolism of it, if you will) that "lesson" was.
Of course I had known it for a long time, but at that moment... Such clarity...

I was on foot, and roughly in the middle of The 100 Mile Wilderness, which is an amazingly beautiful place, as are so much of the northern woods.

It goes without saying perhaps, that I did as I had done other times when realizing I wasn't were I needed to be, or not really sure where exactly I was. An initial flash of anxiousness, frustration, uncertainty & even a touch of denial; then, I remained calm, smiled, and turned around going back the way I'd come from.
Knowing, that at least for a while, going "backwards", was indeed the correct way, and progressing forward :)

Realizing that "forward" could be just as simple as the way you are facing. Just because it's "behind you" doesn't mean it's it isn't the way forward, and...

At least, in a vast wilderness... :)

So it may well be that a return of the "1" won't ever happen, and/or a drop point salt either,

I can think of two recent threads started on this forum that clearly show, with more than a dozen pages, there is a genuine, and positive interest in such a thing. That the idea has merit and can stand on it's own, so

perhaps...

u.w.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I would buy a stretch (1, 2 or straight spine) in either H1 or LC200N in a heartbeat.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 11:28 am
I'm curious if the sales of the K390 Straight Spine Stretch will support the notion that an LC200N Straight Spine Stretch Salt would be a worthy iteration? I think the original Stretch just wasn't popular enough to ever warrant plunking down $20K for a new FRN mold to make it linerless.

I would be interested in a straight spine Stretch Salt, have always liked the Stretches and like the linerless models, also still need to pick up my first straight spine...

Am also most interested in a Salt version of the Endela, Stretch has been one of my favorites for awhile but the Endela has beaten all my previous favorite users.
Have been considering a Pacific Salt 2 but will probably wait and hope for a LC200N Salt Endela!