How does your Significant Other coexist with your knife collecting syndrome?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: How does your Significant Other coexist with your knife collecting syndrome?

Post by wrdwrght »

Unpredictably, 2, 3, or 4.

The larger mystery is what has caused her to coexist with me for 51 years…
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
jdw

Re: How does your Significant Other coexist with your knife collecting syndrome?

Post by jdw »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:15 am
Unpredictably, 2, 3, or 4.

The larger mystery is what has caused her to coexist with me for 51 years…

Me too. I had to laugh when I read this!
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
sal

Post by sal »

Gail is my partner in business and life.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:54 pm

sal

It's a little late in the game for her to not be ok with knives :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

sal wrote:

sal

That is a wonderful and certainly rare situation because many of the couples who are life and business partners, in my experience, end up liquidating their partnership in both fields (too much time together often ends up destroying the small space of full privacy that all humans seem to yearn) .

Then, congratulations to you and Gail because when that situation works, happiness is double (which, in fact, means full).
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Menipo wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 8:57 am
A good king? I don't think so. Probably what he had was an executioner standing behind him with a drawn 5-foot sword ready to be used against anyone who proved not to hold His Majesty in the high regard that he thought he deserved. ;) :D
Oh for sure, bro. That drawn sword ready to strike anyone who disagrees is why they can call themselves ‘Kings’ in the first place!

But I guess we’re veering into political analysis now, mi amigo... :)
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

sal wrote:

sal
That makes you two the C-44. Well Done.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

My wife never says anything other than yea it looks nice or i like it. Shes not your typical bitchy wife either. Actually shes too good for me.

I buy what I want and shes free to buy what she wants.

But I feel a lil guilty when Sprints/Exclusives drop so close together!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Knifewise, my wife supports my knife hobby completely, but isn't into knives per se. She appreciates the carry folders she has and that's it. Although I did notice the patina on my Murray Carter Kitchen knives changing and darkening more than I remembered. It turns out that she really took a shine to these designs! Over the years she has gotten to know some of the spydercrew and some of my fellow knifeknuts, and she really likes the people behind the knives, way more than the knives themselves.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

I'd say my wife is solidly in the 3 camp relative to my knife hobby.

She is definitely not a knife person, but is glad when I've got one on me. She doesn't complain about the packages that show up, or the new knives that live in my pocket. But she also doesn't particularly care about whatever is unique about my latest. I no longer bother explaining what's new and interesting about each individual one. She'll grab one one of the case when she needs one (usually a Dragonfly or sometimes a Delica). She doesn't give me a hard time when I am carrying a large knife, or when I clearly am carrying more than one.

Today, she was preparing for a girl scout day camp trip with our youngest:

She tells me she'll need to borrow "a few knives", and of course my eyes light up.
"Ok," I ask, "what for?"
"Well, I need a "big one" to cut up watermelon and a smaller one to go in my backpack." She makes a finger motion reminiscent of a blade opening and closing.
"A folding knife?" Yes, that's what she needs, and so head to my case and come back with a VG-10 Delica Wharncliffe and my Waterway. Knowing my wife, she needs a fixed bladed that is corrosion resistant since she likely will not be carefully cleaning off the watermelon juice after cutting watermelon.
She gives the Wharncliffe blade shape a sideways glance, but is ok with it. Regarding the Waterway, she says "that's not going to be big enough to cut a watermelon." She's not wrong... although I told her I could cut a watermelon with it and it is corrosion proof. :o
She says "I need your "machete." " She's probably referring to my BK21 (or possibly BK9), but that is definitely way too big for a girl scout camp out. :eek:
I head back to grab a few more bigger fixed options, returning with my Schempp Rock, a BK5, and a BK9.
She asks for another corrosion resistant blade, and I suggest the Schempp Rock. I pulled it out of the sheath because I wanted to make sure she'd be ok with the somewhat strange blade shape.
She says that will work, and so she's set. I'll say that her deciding on a few blades to take takes way less time than it usually takes me, and I never have just two. :)

What I'm sending out into the field with her:
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

My wife is at number 4. She gets a bit judgmental if I buy too much at once, but overall it amuses her, rather than annoying her. She carries a pocket knife in her purse, which sets her apart from almost all her woman friends.
eddiebob

Post by eddiebob »

Definitely a #5! She understands and enjoys knives of her own. She has a full set of Wusthof kitchen knives, Chris Reeve kitchen knives, several high dollar autos, and of course all of the pink Spydercos we can find. Her knife collection doesn't begin to touch mine but, my jewelry doesn't begin to touch hers. Happy wife!