How does your Significant Other coexist with your knife collecting syndrome?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Menipo

How does your Significant Other coexist with your knife collecting syndrome?

Post by Menipo »

Speaking from experience (and from what I see around me), it seems to me that Significant Others react in five different ways to our Obsessive Compulsive Syndrome of collecting knives (that in themselves form a gradation, so the SOs can / usually progress from one to the next):

1) Open hostility: "I never want to see one of your knives left on the sideboard again. You know very well that it makes me very nervous".

2) Sarcastic critic: "When you finish arguing with your friends on the forum if the micarta has more traction than the G10, maybe you could you give me a hand to bathe the children".

3) Neutral tolerance: "The postman has brought a package. I guess that's what you were waiting for because it has a logo with a spider."

4) Moderate support: "I don't care because you know that I only use them to prepare food, but the one with the green handle looks nice".

5) Mrs. PStone: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89586

Mine, after some decades, is in phase 3.

What phase of evolution is your Significant Other in? ;) :D
Last edited by Menipo on Mon May 03, 2021 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Mini2white

Re: How does your Significant Other coexist with your knife collecting syndrome?

Post by Mini2white »

5) full support and even has her own collection of users and rare beasties. My wife loves knives almost as much as me.
standy99

Re: How does your Significant Other coexist with your knife collecting syndrome?

Post by standy99 »

Has her own and doesn't want any but the one I bought her as her first present 12 years ago.

Shows me knives she sees on her browsing.
Brought two Damascus fixed knives a bit bigger than a pairing knife and claimed one as hers.
Hers is the camel bone, I got to keep the buffalo horn handle one

Always puts them in a fruit bowl together when left everywhere.

She's cool with most stuff I do and every now and then there is a present in a box for her also. Like a Spyderco bandana last box with mules in it....
Last edited by standy99 on Mon May 03, 2021 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I'd say 5.
She encourages me to pursue the hobby because it makes me happy; thus making her happy by seeing me happy.
She has a couple Spydies of her own and can name more models than most people in the hobby at this point :p
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Probably a 4 or 5. She's just happy that I'm happy. She has a few of her own that she uses but she isn't "interested" in it any further than that. She also doesn't care what I buy or how expensive they are because she knows I'm mature enough to not spend what we can't afford. This isn't my only hobby, I have other much more expensive money pits that she puts up with.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Mine likes knives of her own and is supportive. She likes that I enjoy designing and using knives as a hobby and for primitive skills/bushcrafting. There are much worse habits to have in this life.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

lots of eye rolling, especially when i'm taking pics of my knives. :D she has no interest in knives whatsoever and she refuses to carry one. i'm constantly telling her she needs a knife, but she's perfectly happy to awkwardly hold scissors to open a package. it makes me cringe every time. to each their own. one of these days, maybe.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

My wife would buy any knife and give it to me. The only condition is, I let her do an engraving in the blade: "From hand to heart."
I didn't agree yet...
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

I would say 3, but the thing about new knives is that they are a lot cheaper than less noticeable than new guns.... So some of the tolerance when a box is noticed may come from relief that it's not another gun.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm very lucky that mine is pretty awesome! She's bought me 4 of my knives, one by complete surprise. Then she did this for me just a few weeks back :D

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89250
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

A mix of 3 and 4, as long as not too much money is burned.
She has no interest in any particular knives or carrying one but likes sharp blades, especially in the kitchen.
blues

Post by blues »

Syndrome? What?

My wife likes my knives, even though she's not a knife person per se.

She has always supported my interest in knives, has accompanied me to numerous Blade Shows, has friends in the knife community and is happy when I'm happy.

Syndrome? :p
- Retired from the chase -
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Definitely 3. He doesn't care what I buy as long as his bowl is filled with the right brand of kibble and he gets at least 3 walks a day.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

When I was young and inexperienced I thought that the card "if I am happy you are happy" was unbeatable.

But at that time I didn't know that the female brain builds synapses much faster than the male. So when I put my card on the table, being sure of winning the game, she used the card "If I don't like your hobby, it's precisely because I love you" (The chances of cutting yourself while sharpening, maintaining or just fidgeting, increases every time that you buy a new knife, so I don't like you taking unnecessary risks because I love you).

The only strategy left for me to avoid being annihilated was to play the victim: "If you really love me, you will have to learn to live with my imperfections. I'm much less perfect than you, I'm afraid," And since she loves me, he gave me the grace of neutral silent tolerance. That's why I can never seriously expect she evolves to phase 4 .... :( ;) :D
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Not too well.
Matus

Post by Matus »

I don't collect, that helps a lot to achieve acceptance for the few knives I have (and sometimes sell to get something different/new) :)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

For the most part the two cats don't care what I buy. The Torbie will push "toys" off the countertop in order to play with them. She scored a hole in one recently by pushing a Native 5/Maxamet off the counter right into their water bowl down on the floor, then she gave me that wide eyed, "uh oh" look. The Abyssinian will sometimes orbit around the SharpMaker while she's trying to "help" me sharpen a knife. This is grounds for setting her down on the floor and telling her to stay. ;)
normal

Post by normal »

I don't say anything about her shoe deliveries and she does not say anything about my knives.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Neutral tolerance. She makes no complaints as its my only bad habit. However, she will gladly assist in downsizing my collection. Not at all in mean spirited way.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001