How does your Significant Other coexist with your knife collecting syndrome?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dj moonbat

Re: How does your Significant Other coexist with your knife collecting syndrome?

Post by dj moonbat »

The first rule of Knife Collecting Syndrome is that I don’t talk about Knife Collecting Syndrome.
bobnikon

Re: How does your Significant Other coexist with your knife collecting syndrome?

Post by bobnikon »

Even when I have sold enough to buy the next one she will gives me the stink eye sometimes. Now, I am putting my latest couple sales towards a kayak, will see if that goes any better.
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

2. as she actually knows what they cost... Also because I typically buy 2...

She bought the Kitchen knives, so she is an enabler.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

I’m not a collector, so I get zero comments. She does know that I like knives so she will ask if there is anything new I want - but that is the extent of it.

She did ask if I had any knives I wasn’t using. She rifled through some of them and pulled a SE ladybug salt for her purse.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

The Deacon wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:07 am
Definitely 3. He doesn't care what I buy as long as his bowl is filled with the right brand of kibble and he gets at least 3 walks a day.
LOL, same
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I made it really easy for her to accept. We're divorced now!! Lol :)
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Albertaboyscott wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:50 pm

I hope that there were (many) other reasons for the divorce apart from your knife collecting adiction ... :eek: :D
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

"Shut up, already!"
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Eratus

Post by Eratus »

That’s a 1.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Menipo wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 2:23 pm
Albertaboyscott wrote:

I hope that there were (many) other reasons for the divorce apart from your knife collecting adiction ... :eek: :D
Lol. Yeah we didn't go our separate ways because of my collections but they didn't help
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Albertaboyscott wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 3:04 pm
Menipo wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 2:23 pm
Albertaboyscott wrote:

Lol. Yeah we didn't go our separate ways because of my collections but they didn't help

At least I suppose there was no discussion about your collections and whether and how they should be shared. Imagine that he had taken half of your knives .... :D :D :D
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

After 16 years of retirement we don’t monitor nor care what the other may want or care what the other may want to buy or invest in. We both maintain individual and combined accounts.
Jared

Post by Jared »

Is there a 6? My wife follows Spyderco on social media, is constantly showing me pictures of what the next dealer exclusive is gonna be (often before I’ve heard of it myself), bought me a Military for my birthday, and has her own collection of Spyderco knives.

Maybe that’s be a 7?
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

2.5 here. I've been guilty of waking her up in the middle of the night while waiting for an exclusive drop a few times than she would care for, and sometimes I feel bad for whipping out my phone and browsing these forum threads while we are out together, but she seems resigned sometimes to this hobby of mine. :D
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Jared wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 5:55 pm
Is there a 6? My wife follows Spyderco on social media, is constantly showing me pictures of what the next dealer exclusive is gonna be (often before I’ve heard of it myself), bought me a Military for my birthday, and has her own collection of Spyderco knives.

Maybe that’s be a 7?

6. Definitely.

7 would be only if he applied for a full time job at the Spyderco SFO.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

nerdlock wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 6:10 pm
2.5 here. I've been guilty of waking her up in the middle of the night while waiting for an exclusive drop a few times than she would care for, and sometimes I feel bad for whipping out my phone and browsing these forum threads while we are out together, but she seems resigned sometimes to this hobby of mine. :D

Your obsession with the SB is a serious threat to your relationship. Listen to me. If you're going to do that again every time an SB Exclusive goes on sale, she's not going to resist it. First things first .... ;) :D
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

I still have to lie about price and in one case had to hide the evidence lol.
Stay sharp!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I guess 3 is closest but I would say neutral indifference rather than neutral tolerance. She doesn’t care at all.

We have made it over twenty years by not telling the other what they should or shouldn’t do. We maintain a good amount of individualism. As long as all the bills are getting paid, and thankfully they always are, we don’t talk about money much at all.

My wife has almost zero interest in material possessions in general and does not share my interest in knives. She has however gotten quite used to having extremely sharp knives in the kitchen and will quickly remind me when they need a touch up. Somewhere in there is a little bit of an edge junkie. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Menipo wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:25 am
nerdlock wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 6:10 pm

Your obsession with the SB is a serious threat to your relationship. Listen to me. If you're going to do that again every time an SB Exclusive goes on sale, she's not going to resist it. First things first .... ;) :D

Lol, my wife seems to resignedly understand whenever I sneak out of the bedroom and go to my man cave during midnight or past 1 am here... being on the opposite side of the world, that's the local time when US Spydie dealers usually drop their dealer exclusives. Thankfully it's not often and I usually pass up several exclusives that I don't like so there's that.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I'd say between 3-5 depending on the day. She has a few knives and uses one at work. No comments about three folders on the coffee table, stopping on a hike to take a pic, or carrying a 4" blade to a child's birthday party. She appreciates that the kitchen knives are always sharp, and that we are both always over prepared to cut something.

When I say that it's time to sell some knives she usually asks "why?". She says keep them if they make you happy :)