Why doesn't Spyderco use D2 in their Seki models?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blnd

Re: Why doesn't Spyderco use D2 in their Seki models?

Post by Blnd »

JRinFL wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 8:31 am
I read somewhere that the majority of D2 used worldwide is sourced from China. Can we try not to put every egg in the same basket?

I agree with Fixall I that 14C28n or, dare I say it, even AEB-L would be a better choice. VG-10 could remain the standard blade steel unless there is another Japanese steel that would be better?
Agreed. Hard pass on Chinese steels. Much rather keep VG10.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

The very small benefit in performance would not justify the logistics expense.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Blnd wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 9:19 am
Agreed. Hard pass on Chinese steels.

Very much agree.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

araneae wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 7:34 pm
D2 isn't stainless, that's a problem for a lot of folks, and performance should be roughly in the same ballpark as vg-10.
Bingo! :)

I have a couple knives with D2 and don't have an issue with it. Given a choice I'd rather have VG-10. I think Stainless Steel is a must for the general public
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

JRinFL wrote:
I agree with Fixall I that 14C28n or, dare I say it, even AEB-L would be a better choice. VG-10 could remain the standard blade steel unless there is another Japanese steel that would be better?
I actually really like 14c28n. I have made several fixed blades from it, and I own several production folders made from it.

I'd love to see the budget knives go from 8cr13mov to 14c28n. But if it would require a noticeable price increase I don't think it's worth the trade off. Spyderco's 8cr13mov is better than any of the others I have tried (the difference between my Spyderco 8cr folders and my Kershaw 8cr folders is kind of ridiculous--it seems like a totally different steel), and I don't think that the performance jump from Spyderco's currently market-best 8cr13mov to 14c28n (assuming approximately the same performance level as Kershaw's 14c28n Leek, which is roughly similar to the Brisa and Realsteel 14c28n fixed blades I've owned) would be worth a substantial price increase.

Spyderco's line up going from 8cr13mov to BD1n to Spy27, and so forth, doesn't seem to need a 14c28n step.

I'd love to see an Endura family sprint in 14c28n though. :) I'm just not so sure the permanent line up would benefit because I suspect it would involve a price increase on the budget models, which would defeat the purpose.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Evil D wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 4:02 am
It most likely doesn't offer enough advantages over VG10 to bother, especially considering the lack of corrosion resistance. I could see them maybe doing a sprint someday but never a full change to D2 over VG10.
Thats what I mean. Vg10 is a still more user friendly therefore it would be better as a base line. But I still think they could offer a D2 version.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 9:20 am
The very small benefit in performance would not justify the logistics expense.
The sad truth.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 9:50 am
araneae wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 7:34 pm
D2 isn't stainless, that's a problem for a lot of folks, and performance should be roughly in the same ballpark as vg-10.
Bingo! :)

I have a couple knives with D2 and don't have an issue with it. Given a choice I'd rather have VG-10. I think Stainless Steel is a must for the general public
true
"Some call me...Tim?"
Matus

Post by Matus »

While D2 is not a ‘bad’ steel, for a company like Spyderco with their apparent access to many modern steels, there is really no reason for them to introduce D2 - a steel that is known for large carbides and as of today inferior to many CPM offerings.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 9:53 am
JRinFL wrote:
I actually really like 14c28n. I have made several fixed blades from it, and I own several production folders made from it.

I'd love to see the budget knives go from 8cr13mov to 14c28n. But if it would require a noticeable price increase I don't think it's worth the trade off. Spyderco's 8cr13mov is better than any of the others I have tried (the difference between my Spyderco 8cr folders and my Kershaw 8cr folders is kind of ridiculous--it seems like a totally different steel), and I don't think that the performance jump from Spyderco's currently market-best 8cr13mov to 14c28n (assuming approximately the same performance level as Kershaw's 14c28n Leek, which is roughly similar to the Brisa and Realsteel 14c28n fixed blades I've owned) would be worth a substantial price increase.

Spyderco's line up going from 8cr13mov to BD1n to Spy27, and so forth, doesn't seem to need a 14c28n step.

I'd love to see an Endura family sprint in 14c28n though. :) I'm just not so sure the permanent line up would benefit because I suspect it would involve a price increase on the budget models, which would defeat the purpose.
I have a similar fondness for 12c27 and 14c28N. I do think that Sandvik steels don't command the premium price of Uddeholm's AEB-L. In theory there is a Sandvik 13c Analog to AEB-L but I haven't seen it.

I don't really know, but also suspect that Spyderco's 8Cr is good enough to out compete the Swedish steels for price, with shipping, duty and inventory control.

I'd love a 14c28N Stretch 2, Native, Manix LW, Native Chief... If run a bit harder than Mora does I think it has impressive edge stability-- but not super great wear resistance.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Enactive wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 1:18 pm
In theory there is a Sandvik 13c Analog to AEB-L but I haven't seen it.
13c26? I have a Kershaw Leek in that steel. I'm not sure how long they used it before they upgraded to 14c28n. I think they used 12c27 for a long time, and 13c26 for only a short time.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 1:39 pm
Enactive wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 1:18 pm
In theory there is a Sandvik 13c Analog to AEB-L but I haven't seen it.
13c26? I have a Kershaw Leek in that steel. I'm not sure how long they used it before they upgraded to 14c28n. I think they used 12c27 for a long time, and 13c26 for only a short time.
They are all quite good and similar-- and the fine grain structure and good 'chemical purity' account for much of the common characteristics.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Matus wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 1:13 pm
While D2 is not a ‘bad’ steel, for a company like Spyderco with their apparent access to many modern steels, there is really no reason for them to introduce D2 - a steel that is known for large carbides and as of today inferior to many CPM offerings.

I had assumed we were talking about CPM D2. We're not?
Matus

Post by Matus »

Bolster wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 6:19 pm
Very most D2 on the knife market is not CPM, so unless it is explicitly mentioned, I would not make that assumption.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Matus wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:32 am
Bolster wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 6:19 pm
Very most D2 on the knife market is not CPM, so unless it is explicitly mentioned, I would not make that assumption.
My only Spyderco D2 is CPM D2 though, depends on whether we're talking about replacing VG10 or 8cr13mov, Anything other than CPM would probably be a step down overall from VG10.

I'm really not an 8cr13mov fan and would probably take decently done Chinese D2 (it's not all bad) over 8cr. 8cr13mov is the least stainless, stainless steel I've used, so I suspect D2 wouldn't be a huge step down in that category.
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

Paraguy wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 11:25 am
Thats what I mean. Vg10 is a still more user friendly therefore it would be better as a base line. But I still think they could offer a D2 version.
For a CPM sprint or exclusive, would you still prefer D2 over Cru-wear? Seki line is no longer the budget/base.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Oloung1 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:40 am
Paraguy wrote:
For a CPM sprint or exclusive, would you still prefer D2 over Cru-wear? Seki line is no longer the budget/base.
No. D2 is inexpensive it would be a lot less expensive that Cruwear. Your point being??
"Some call me...Tim?"
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Paraguy wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:12 am
Oloung1 wrote:
Paraguy wrote:
No. D2 is inexpensive it would be a lot less expensive that Cruwear. Your point being??
I don't think that's true if you're talking CPM-D2 vs CPM-CruWear. I'm sure Spyderco would get a better deal in bulk, but just looking at NSM's prices for the two -

Comparing decarb free, sawcut CPM-D2 and CPM-CruWear at 0.187" thickness, yard long, and let's say 2" wide -
- CPM-D2: $262.75 (https://www.nsm-ny.com/index.cfm?fuseac ... gory_ID=42)
- CPM-CruWear: $259.75 (https://www.nsm-ny.com/index.cfm?fuseac ... gory_ID=66)

(prices being equal, I'll take the CPM-CruWear)
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Skywalker wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:42 am
Paraguy wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:12 am
Oloung1 wrote:
Paraguy wrote:
I don't think that's true if you're talking CPM-D2 vs CPM-CruWear. I'm sure Spyderco would get a better deal in bulk, but just looking at NSM's prices for the two -

Comparing decarb free, sawcut CPM-D2 and CPM-CruWear at 0.187" thickness, yard long, and let's say 2" wide -
- CPM-D2: $262.75 (https://www.nsm-ny.com/index.cfm?fuseac ... gory_ID=42)
- CPM-CruWear: $259.75 (https://www.nsm-ny.com/index.cfm?fuseac ... gory_ID=66)

(prices being equal, I'll take the CPM-CruWear)
Regular D2 is inexpensive because its NOT a CPM steal. However I wasn't talking about CPM D2.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

Paraguy wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 12:17 pm
Regular D2 is inexpensive because its NOT a CPM steal. However I wasn't talking about CPM D2.
The point was why ask for the ingot version in a non-budget line, when there already is a budget line? Value proposition of ingot D2 in Seki just isn't there for the consumer.

I would think about paying a little more for D2 in a Cara Cara but wouldn't pay for D2 in an Endura at Vg10 prices.