Ghost pass stroping

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JacksonKnives

Re: Ghost pass stroping

Post by JacksonKnives »

Looks a lot like "Micro-Mesh" abrasive (a favourite of pen turners and fountain pen nib tweakers), but probably easier to find locally.
I'd say it's not going to be a true "strop," far more aggressive than a compound-loaded strop, but I'm sure you can use it to get a nice edge with some practice.
Trav64

Post by Trav64 »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 4:30 pm
S-3 ranch wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 4:21 pm
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 3:58 pm
S-3 ranch wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 3:23 pm
Any one try ghost strop on y’all’s steel?
My V-taku2 blade went off the charts sharp and same with my vg-10 , cruwear ,
https://youtu.be/yK__FD1nfbY

Still looking for a GB II M4 or equivalent
I have that same stuff in the video and I imagine its horrible for stropping. It's foam backed and very soft foam at that. Even on leather you have to be careful with the strop deforming from too much pressure.
I use 3m diamond lapping films, they're 12usd but get lots of uses if you cut it edge pro size. I believe the grits go from 125-.01 micron.
I hear ya , when you’re sharpening up off the hood or tailgate of a ranch truck, a edge pro and diamond lap film is out of touch and pretentious , it works pretty excellent on the fly when you’re not a sit at home knife user
I hear you on that! I'm visiting family in the great redneck state of West Virginia. Lived there for 12yrs myself and worked on a few farms that made me learn to improvise.
Another mountain billy ha, thought I was the only one, what part are you from?
awa54

Post by awa54 »

JacksonKnives wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:56 am
Looks a lot like "Micro-Mesh" abrasive (a favourite of pen turners and fountain pen nib tweakers), but probably easier to find locally.
I'd say it's not going to be a true "strop," far more aggressive than a compound-loaded strop, but I'm sure you can use it to get a nice edge with some practice.

I'm a turner (mostly shaving brush handles) and a pen tweeker :D Nib work is more controllable with un-backed abrasive sheets IMO, you can always put a sheet of film on your palm, fingertip or a mouse pad if you need to conform to the tipping more, but you can't make foam backed sheets rigid. For finishing complex shapes on the lathe, I like Scotchbrite pads, though I only work in wood so far... when I finally get around to trying my hand at acrylics, I'll likely be buying some of these foam padded abrasives.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I think some silicon carbide sandpaper is good to have around but keeping it just for stropping is silly. In my first reply to this thread I mentioned cutting lapping film into edge pro size. You can stick it to anything flat like a piece of balsa wood. I was not implying that I use an edge pro in the field. The double sided eze lap diamond/ceramic pocket sharpener is what I use outside of the house.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

awa54 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:52 am
Nib work is more controllable with un-backed abrasive sheets IMO, you can always put a sheet of film on your palm, fingertip or a mouse pad if you need to conform to the tipping more, but you can't make foam backed sheets rigid.
You, sir, seem a true gentleman and a scholar.
I agree on all counts. Micro-Mesh often comes up in discussions about these things, but I've always had enough other abrasives around that I haven't really spent much time with it.

IIRC Micro-Mesh was developed specifically to get more uniform scratch patterns finishing contoured acrylic windshields, but it sounds like Scotch Brite is serving that purpose well for you.

I read about MM the first time in a discussion of polishing methods in an old book on knife making, I think it may have been Bob Engath who was pitching it as a superior way to get a hand-rubbed finish, but that was a loooong time ago when I was very young...
awa54

Post by awa54 »

JacksonKnives wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:45 am

You, sir, seem a true gentleman and a scholar.

LOL! now I'm certain we've never met before :)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...