Endela; leaf edge, straight spine?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Catamount123

Endela; leaf edge, straight spine?

Post by Catamount123 »

Has anyone else noticed that the Endela has a more leaf shaped edge, similar to the Manix 2 and Caly 3/3.5, than the Delica or Endura? As a fan of leaf shaped blades, I think this is part of the Endela’s appeal for me, even though I generally prefer :spyder: s with finger choils.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
JRinFL

Re: Endela; leaf edge, straight spine?

Post by JRinFL »

There is a lot of Sal distilled into that knife. Decades of experience of a skilled designer.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yes, it is more like the Delica than Endura. It has similarities to the Manix but with a straight spine. It is the best looking of the Seki 3" or over knives, I think.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:47 am
Yes, it is more like the Delica than Endura. It has similarities to the Manix but with a straight spine. It is the best looking of the Seki 3" or over knives, I think.
I'd even say for me it's the best Spyderco design sofar, have used quite a few over the past 20 years. :)
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

An Endela straight spine works for me.

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Joris Mo wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 4:48 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:47 am
I'd even say for me it's the best Spyderco design sofar, have used quite a few over the past 20 years. :)
I really need to get one of these. I put one in my cart and then something else comes along I want.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 11:23 pm

I really need to get one of these. I put one in my cart and then something else comes along I want.
Yes, you do really need one, how often does the best brand of folders come up with a new best basic user blade? ;)
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I prefer leaf blades to drop points or almost anything though I have a soft spot for a sheepsfoot or Wharncliff. My first couple of Spydies were a Superleaf and a Manix LW. Still have them. The Endela would be on my shortlist if it weren’t a backlock.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

kodai78 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 4:25 pm
I prefer leaf blades to drop points or almost anything though I have a soft spot for a sheepsfoot or Wharncliff. My first couple of Spydies were a Superleaf and a Manix LW. Still have them. The Endela would be on my shortlist if it weren’t a backlock.
Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. For me, and for many, the mid back lock has so many significant advantages over other lock types that the knife having one is often the deciding factor in buying a knife or not. I think the Endela needs to be on my list of must buy knives this year. The only thing stopping me is that Sal said they are coming out with more Thin Line knives honoring more jobs.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JRinFL wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:20 am
There is a lot of Sal distilled into that knife. Decades of experience of a skilled designer.

It's his swan song. It's my knife of choice after owning all of the usual suspects. I own two and carry them almost exclusively. A real masterpiece!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

“For me, and for many, the mid back lock has so many significant advantages over other lock types” We’ll have to agree to disagree about the mid back lock. What other professions do you think Spyderco will honor? What colors? I might be interested in one of them.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder: