I grossly underestimated the Native Chief

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

I grossly underestimated the Native Chief

Post by Evil D »

Wow, what a knife. I'll be honest I wasn't blown away by pictures, but I just got to handle one the other day and man was I impressed, like Military competition impressed. Like might be my favorite choiled design impressed.

But...

You already know what I'm going to say....

When can I get one in full SE? :D

Oh and if this came with rounded scales like the Shaman.... Oh my.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Re: I grossly underestimated the Native Chief

Post by TkoK83Spy »

A lot of love for that knife around here lately, it's really starting to tempt me. Though of course I'll have waited to long to get the Rex45 version at a fair price, that's the one I'd love to try.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Matus

Post by Matus »

I was not quite blown away, but it is a very solid and well made knife (Manix LW feels a bit like a toy next to it, even though it is a very strong knife) and changed my view of backlocks. I just wish the handle was a little more substantial and less blocky.

Edit: I would sell mine, but have not found yet a knife that would be closer to what I am looking for.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 5:50 am
A lot of love for that knife around here lately, it's really starting to tempt me. Though of course I'll have waited to long to get the Rex45 version at a fair price, that's the one I'd love to try.
Last chance

https://www.nationalknives.com/spyderco ... 10-handle/
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I held out for the Rex45 version and was super impressed when it arrived. I carry it a lot more than I was anticipating. It's larger than I typically carry, but in pocket feels exactly like a Native 5. When using it, the handle and blade are large enough to grip anywhere you want, including choking way up with your finger out on the tip of the blade and balance and weight are fantastic.

It's definitely a must have in my collection of folders, I only have 2 other folders in that size category (Rex45 Military and Pacific 2) and at the moment the Chief is definitely my favorite. I think everyone should get one in hand at some point.
Last edited by Airlsee on Sat May 01, 2021 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
So it goes.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

It good.
Attachments
20210501_083719.jpg
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
kobold

Post by kobold »

I agree, it is up there with the Millie, except no hump, which I like even more. And noticeably more slicy than the Millie (cutting paper).
The only problem is, the S90V Chief is so nice, everything else looks like a beater, so I don't use it. :-)
But I use the one in Rex45, no problem.

Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Some of us waited a long time for the Chief to arrive and it was worth the wait. It’s an excellent knife.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

I was lucky and got my s90v. It's a beast of a knife and thin enough that carrying it is no problem. Highly recommend :)
Stay sharp!
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

For more from fans of the Chief... :spyder: :cool: :D

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84087
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Chief is one of only two knives I’m still genuinely interested in acquiring. I’m mostly interested in getting the basic S30V version.

Jim
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

James Y wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 10:26 am
The Chief is one of only two knives I’m still genuinely interested in acquiring. I’m mostly interested in getting the basic S30V version.

Jim
I think you'll be pleased when you do get one. The S30V model is really nice too.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:19 am
Some of us waited a long time for the Chief to arrive and it was worth the wait. It’s an excellent knife.

Yeah I had been one of those people at certain times. My tastes changed and I really didn't love the Native 5 at first so when the Chief finally came I gave it a glance and immediately thought the handle was too big and the blade was too short but I should have learned a lesson about that from the Military because it's just right. I could do with more rounded scales but that's nothing new. I really hope I can get it with serrations.
~David
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I loved mine but it's too big for me. Really love everything spyderco has been doing with the native family the last few years
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Nate

Post by Nate »

Always loved the looks of the Chief, but had pretty much talked myself out of it since I tend to carry smaller knives for the most part. The positive posts here kept piling up though and ultimately I couldn’t resist checking it out. So glad I did, still a little stunned by how well it carries and feels in hand.

Really tempted to get the CS Exclusive and put together a blacked out version, but a little wary of how big a bath I’ll take on selling the leftovers lol.
:spyder:
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

I am a bit surprised a serrated version has not come out yet. The base model must sell well enough to trigger exclusives. A completely blacked out version, both plain and serrated, would also be welcome.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I underestimated it too.

I was immediately drawn to the design the first time I saw it. However it had the bad luck of coming out along with the Police 4, which was my most anticipated release in years.

After I had all the Police 4's I wanted I gave it another look. By this point the Rex45 and S90V runs were on the horizon, so I held out for the Rex version.

In many ways, it's my favorite Spyderco folder:

- The humpless design makes utilizing the choil a much more attractive option for me. I use the choil more with the Chief than the Police, Millie or Manix XL.

- The cutting geometry is unmatched in its class. All my other folders this size came ground thick behind the edge and with a thicker edge bevel angle. I can't recall ever owning a Spyderco this large with an under 15 dps edge from factory. No reprofiling needed!

- Better edge to handle ratio than many others. Military edge length in a more compact package.

- Some of the best action I've felt on a linerless knife. Very smooth with solid lock-up.y

Even though I'm on a Military kick right now, I love this design. Currently have a pair of Rex45 and a basic S30V.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 11:00 am
JRinFL wrote:

Yeah I had been one of those people at certain times. My tastes changed and I really didn't love the Native 5 at first so when the Chief finally came I gave it a glance and immediately thought the handle was too big and the blade was too short but I should have learned a lesson about that from the Military because it's just right. I could do with more rounded scales but that's nothing new. I really hope I can get it with serrations.

This could be easily achieved should they make an FRN Chief... something I´d really love to see!! :)
See here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89313
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 12:24 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 11:00 am
JRinFL wrote:

This could be easily achieved should they make an FRN Chief... something I´d really love to see!! :)
See here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89313

When I get one it'll surely get rounded off, but with the screws so close to the edges of the scales I can only contour it so much, and I suspect that'll be what stops Spyderco from doing the same. If you compare the Chief to the Shaman the screws are a good bit further in from the edge on the Shaman.
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

It’s definitely growing on me with carry and use!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!