I grossly underestimated the Native Chief

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
eventhorizon

Re: I grossly underestimated the Native Chief

Post by eventhorizon »

Matus wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:52 am
eventhorizon wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:49 am
Well, I'm in Germany, so sending it in would cost me around $50... one way, that is.
And it's a sold out sprint run, so... yeah.
If you bought yours in DE - did you consider sending it to the seller? After all, we get 2 years warranty here ...

"Gesetzliches Rückgaberecht" ... 14 days, so that is gone. Plus the lock rock wasn't obvious untill I did that cardboard cutting, so the knife is "used" now. I don't think the seller would agree to take it back, so I didn't even bother to try. But maybe I should, I don't know.
notorious fidgeteer
Matus

Post by Matus »

eventhorizon wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:47 am
"Gesetzliches Rückgaberecht" ... 14 days, so that is gone. Plus the lock rock wasn't obvious untill I did that cardboard cutting, so the knife is "used" now. I don't think the seller would agree to take it back, so I didn't even bother to try. But maybe I should, I don't know.
I don't mean returning it, but simply sending it in as faulty - that's what warranty is for ...
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

soc_monki wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:54 am

I've gotten quite a few new knives lately...Spyderco Stretch 2, Endela, s90V Chief, Kapara, and a new Benchmade Adamas. I wish I had more pockets...I love using all of them, but I just can't carry all of them around at the same time...LOL
Slight detraction from this thread, but I'm looking ahead to Christmas and am considering both the Kapara and the Chief (probably just s30V) - what are your thoughts comparing these two?

My random concerns are the tip of the Chief (which you briefly addressed), size of the Chief, pocket-shreddiness of the Chief vs. slickness of the Kapara. Also feel free to share your overall thoughts in general between the two.

Thanks!
Jason
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

I am still waiting on a Titanium handled and LC200N Native Chief myself. An all weather Native Chief would pair perfectly with my SpydieChef. It would be the Legend of the Chef and Chief.
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

i reckon the Kapara is a better cutter onbut Í find my grip slippping when out and about due to the smooth carbon fiber. Not so much meant for demanding tasks and thus for my purposes, less reliable as the chief will outperform the kapara in actual work done. And it's a workhorse alright.
The chief contributed to saving my mothers life, a month and a half ago. I dont dare to think what might have happened if the officer fumbled with a kapara, not being used to smooth cf blades probably. Anyway, it's a whole other story. Native Chief all the way every day for me.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jason Paul wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:09 am
soc_monki wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:54 am

I've gotten quite a few new knives lately...Spyderco Stretch 2, Endela, s90V Chief, Kapara, and a new Benchmade Adamas. I wish I had more pockets...I love using all of them, but I just can't carry all of them around at the same time...LOL
Slight detraction from this thread, but I'm looking ahead to Christmas and am considering both the Kapara and the Chief (probably just s30V) - what are your thoughts comparing these two?

My random concerns are the tip of the Chief (which you briefly addressed), size of the Chief, pocket-shreddiness of the Chief vs. slickness of the Kapara. Also feel free to share your overall thoughts in general between the two.

Thanks!
Jason
I only had the Kapara but will get the Chief in its FRN version when this comes out.

The Kapara is a great model, extremely well built, ingenious choil design, lots of cutting edge in a slim and rather short package.

But yes, it is slippery in hand in wet conditions and the comp.lock is particularly "hard" to operate on this model (narrow, "slick handle, small comp.lock cutout).
I also did not like the deep carry clip at all on this larger knife.

The Kapara imho is fine for more "civilized" indoor-ish use, not so much for outdoors.
I sold mine eventually.

For me personally the Chief is better overall than the Kapara, mostly for the backlock and grippier handle.

But since you have Christmas in mind: You could wait for the FRN Chief too: In my experience Spydercos FRN models are less pocket shredding than the G10 variants, the FRN Chief will be lighter and perhaps more ergonomic.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Matus

Post by Matus »

I would not buy Chief for EDC. To me it is a more utility oriented knife / work knife (obviously not for abusive kind of work as you would loose the tip).
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Matus wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:44 pm
I would not buy Chief for EDC. To me it is a more utility oriented knife / work knife (obviously not for abusive kind of work as you would loose the tip).
Depends on how one defines what an EDC folder should be prepared and serve for (no right or wrong here).

For me the Chief seems to be pretty perfect for an EDC folder, mainly for the following reasons:
- Slim, light carry but a lot of cutting edge: A long edge imho always makes a knife more versatile and more prepared for every task that might occur (not only occasional "emergency" food prep, but this too).
- Backlock can be operated well in all conditions and makes the knife very secure on pocket.
- Don't know about the tip (did not handle a Chief yet): I like rather fine ones, cause such a tip is very functional, but TOO fine begins to limit its usefulness again..
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Matus wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:44 pm
It makes a great EDC.
:unicorn
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Perfect EDC for me too, large and slicy, but carries small.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

So here is the deal on my take. It was quite traumatic so I'll keep it short. My mother had a sudden cardiac arrest, I think the English term is? Not a heart attack, full stop dead on the ground situation. She was out of consciousness and making these gurgling motions which I now know is a telltale sign - before she fell limp and stopped breathing. I got my sister on cpr and placed a call for help and instruction right away. Luckily our neighbor heard the commotion and came rushing over. He is a retired officer so he had the knowhow and skill. He took over and still nothing after 3 minutes. Then shortly after more policemen and paramedics arrived and they took over while preparing the icd (that device which administers shocks and regulates the pace. It was completely chaos. Half past 2 in their mornings, outside in little light and 2 bags full of gear and such here and there with all those people and one officer who had retrieved a flashlight.

Her torso had to be exposed but they were having trouble locating the sheers and the person leading the undertaking shouted 'sheers, a knive, now!' twice in a row. I saw them looking with the flashlight frantically and instinctively I reached in my back pocket and pulled out what was the chief at the time, fresh of the sharpening stones and handed it to him in a hurry with a warning it was extremely sharp.
****, all the world's respect for people like this, he took it in a backwards grip, and in one quick motion through 3 layers of clothing from top to bottom.

Every second counts in these situations and in total she was without a heart rate for 8 minutes. You all have know how bad the chance of survival and if so, at which quality of living afterwards is.
The intensive care told us to say our final farewells and have her less then 20 percent chance of waking up from the induced coma or she wouldn't start breathing without the assistance once removed. But holy mother of God guys, she did, and even though she came out of it with severely impacted short term memory, even that got restored to 70 percent of its normal functions and she's back home now after 2 months of recovery.

It was said to be a miracle, 8 minutes clinically dead, but having started cpr right away, my neighbor who happened to be home and a ex policeman, and by trained professionals, me having a good sharp tool, so the aid or icd could be applied asap. Everything good lined up during the worst of situations and it's that that saved her and prevented serious consequences, relatively speaking of course.

I'm just glad I didn't have my dragonfly on me at the time, hah. I jest. Sal prob won't ever read this but without a doubt your tools have contributed in the good outcome of one of the direst of situations in my life and simple thanks hardly suffice. Everything that could go right, did so in the worst of times and I'm so so grateful to all involved.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dodgie02 wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:17 am
So here is the deal on my take. It was quite traumatic so I'll keep it short.

Man, I am so glad your mother could be saved! :)

And yes, it IS another example for why it really makes sense to carry a knife all the time.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Still crossing my fingers for a SE version...
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 3:23 pm
Still crossing my fingers for a SE version...
... in the Chief LW I hope...
James Y

Post by James Y »

I got my Chief back in December (basic S30V model), and my example is flawless. I love it. As I mentioned in my last post, it may have to do with my method of always ordering over the phone.

It's become one of the knives in my small rotation that I carry and use. I only wish the tip were sturdier, but with the same sharpness. I'm always super mindful not to accidentally bump the tip during use; I generally don't feel the need to exercise as much care with the tips of my other knives.

Jim
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I now have two chefs, one from 2020 and one from 2021, both are excellent, in the blade primary grinds as well as in the lock ups.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Teddy0215

Post by Teddy0215 »

Have an M4 Native Chief being delivered today. Just by chance I found a good deal on one the same time as the new Shaman was released. I was going to carry the Chief exclusively for a month to get a feel for it, but may end up rotating some time with the Shaman as well. Will probably end up being a good comparison of strengths and weaknesses.
Slightly obsessed…
kobold

Post by kobold »

Fluted Ti version when? ;-)
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Teddy0215

Post by Teddy0215 »

Well, this came in and I’ve been playing with it for the last hour or so. I’m instantly in love. I foresee it getting a lot of pocket time. Easily the sharpest Spydie I’ve ever had out of the box. Cuts s curves in paper like a hot knife through butter.
Slightly obsessed…
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

I've never owned a Chief, (or anything from the Native family) but they're becoming more appealing to me as I'm starting to not like thumb ramps as much.