I grossly underestimated the Native Chief

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: I grossly underestimated the Native Chief

Post by vivi »

Naperville wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 7:35 am
Here are my 4. The camera blows up the variances larger than they are. The XHP is the only one that might have evidence of an issue but, it's fine.

Maxamet - Perfect
S90V - Perfect
Rex45 - Perfect
XHP - Slight mismatch, but does not effect the operation of the knife

https://i.postimg.cc/8cvyHn3F/Spyderco-01.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/mDJX7Gdf/Spyderco-02.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/R0PbVtK0/Spyderco-03.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/s2fNrmB8/Spyderco-04.jpg
Mine works just fine too, and I feel like a bit of a baby caring about this as much as I do, but when I feel that little flaw every single time I unlock the knife it bugs me a bit. Like I said off centered blade, a small ding on the scale, imperfect edge....I can either fix or ignore those little issues. But this is the one small thing that gets to me I guess.

I don't expect them to all come out 100% perfect, but that Chief is not up to my standards for a $175 pocket knife.

I'll probably end up getting rid of it whenever the next sprint is announced.
:unicorn
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

vivi wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:26 pm
Mine works just fine too, and I feel like a bit of a baby caring about this as much as I do, but when I feel that little flaw every single time I unlock the knife it bugs me a bit. Like I said off centered blade, a small ding on the scale, imperfect edge....I can either fix or ignore those little issues. But this is the one small thing that gets to me I guess.

I don't expect them to all come out 100% perfect, but that Chief is not up to my standards for a $175 pocket knife.

I'll probably end up getting rid of it whenever the next sprint is announced.
Spyderco may address this issue, and it is because we brought it to their attention. I am sure that this issue has Sal's, Eric's and the engineering staff's attention.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Both of mine are flush, open and closed (S90V and Rex). I would have been unhappy with that misalignment, but would have probably just accepted it, because for me it would cost too much to send it in for warrantee work.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
vivi

Post by vivi »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:43 pm
Both of mine are flush, open and closed (S90V and Rex). I would have been unhappy with that misalignment, but would have probably just accepted it, because for me it would cost too much to send it in for warrantee work.
The retailer that sold me the rex Chief was sold out by the time it got in the mail, so I figured I couldn't exchange it for another. I may try contacting Spyderco directly to see if they can do anything. Luckily my user is flush, so I'm in no great hurry to resolve the issue. I just liked the rex Chief enough I had to have two :D
:unicorn
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Vivi, is it possible that your wonky Rex Chief just needs some break-in? The lockbar on the one I've been carrying for the past couple months seats slightly deeper now than it did when I first got it. It was raised up at the tang when locked open, just like yours but not quite as severe. Hard rocking of the blade (as though you're checking for lock rock) would cause it to fully seat. After two months of use, the lockbar fully seats on its own.
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

How stable is the lock on yours all?

My Rex45 Chief turns out to be a really wonky knife when used... I was expecting some up and down movement since lock rock seems to be considered normal on Spyderco back locks, but I can almost see the blade moving up when I push through (rather thin) cardboard and I can certainly feel excessive movement of the lockbar against the backspacer... it dips quite a bit, from well above to well below.

Maybe that's because it already came with the lockbar protruding the backspacer? Man, I really love the blade, but overall, once again, I'm quite underwhelmed, to say the least... :(
notorious fidgeteer
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

eventhorizon wrote: How stable is the lock on yours all?

My Rex45 Chief turns out to be a really wonky knife when used... I was expecting some up and down movement since lock rock seems to be considered normal on Spyderco back locks, but I can almost see the blade moving up when I push through (rather thin) cardboard and I can certainly feel excessive movement of the lockbar against the backspacer... it dips quite a bit, from well above to well below.

Maybe that's because it already came with the lockbar protruding the backspacer? Man, I really love the blade, but overall, once again, I'm quite underwhelmed, to say the least... :(
Mine all have very little movement. Lock rock less than an endura.

Excessive doesnt seem right.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JMM

Post by JMM »

eventhorizon wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:25 pm

'

Yeah, I have all five flavours and what you're describing sounds really off, I don't see that with any of mine. Do you have a pic of your lockbar protrusion?
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

JMM wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:03 am
eventhorizon wrote:

'

Yeah, I have all five flavours and what you're describing sounds really off, I don't see that with any of mine. Do you have a pic of your lockbar protrusion?

I posted one in response to vivi whose is off the other way around... it's on the page before
notorious fidgeteer
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

eventhorizon wrote:

I'd send that in. I had a Stretch that behaved like you described and it was deemed defective. Only concern there is if they have another one to replace it with...mine was an out of production SE model so I lost my knife and got a store credit.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:52 am
eventhorizon wrote:

I'd send that in. I had a Stretch that behaved like you described and it was deemed defective. Only concern there is if they have another one to replace it with...mine was an out of production SE model so I lost my knife and got a store credit.

Well, I'm in Germany, so sending it in would cost me around $50... one way, that is.
And it's a sold out sprint run, so... yeah.
notorious fidgeteer
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Reading all the posts about the Chief: Can´t wait for the FRN version... and luckily S30V is perfectly fine with me, so this could then be "my" ideal Chief :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

eventhorizon wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 4:52 am
kobold wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 4:23 am
eventhorizon wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 2:55 am

I keep getting this from Spyderco... basically every single knife I bought had flaws like this. I'm not exaggerating, it's been every single one. Because I like the designs I force myself into condoning the obvious, but once again I'm just baffled.

That is very unlucky.
Are you buying them from a reputable dealer? Are they all from the same shop?

Various dealers, mostly in Germany or elsewhere in Europe... all of them really helpful when I decided to return a knife. Trusted.

At one point I even assumed somehow there just have to be more "undeclared 2nds" floating around here in shops, at dealers, because 12 out of 12 (that's my Spyderco count right now) can't be just bad luck.
I have quite a few other knives from various brands ...and never had to return one of them because of flaws.
Disappointingly Its the same here in Australia for me, ive asked the question on this forum before, are we getting sent seconds?
I mean I doubt it but im not sure what else to think.
Ive had a few wins, got a flawless p3 g10 blackout not long ago, but had to go to the shop to select it myself.
At the same time i returned a green pacific salt that's blade was a hair off touching the handle liners.
The shop owner shook his head when he saw it and said 'yeah that's bad' and apologised, I told him it wasn't his fault, no sweat
4th Spyderco ive bought in the last 6 months with the blade a hair off the liner when closed
I won't even go into the rest of the issues.
Its got to the point where im scared to order a Spyderco through the post because I cant see it before I buy it.

Ive just ordered a native chief from the states, I asked them to please check it out before they send it, hopefully I have some luck this time.
For a knife over $260au I hope so.

I really don't know what to think any more.
James Y

Post by James Y »

It's unfortunate hearing about all these flawed knives. Since there are no B&M knife shops in my area anymore (AFAIK), I always order my knives from dealers in other states over the phone. And I always have a short, pre-written list of flaws to check for and avoid, as well as things I want in the knife, before they ship it. So far, I've never gotten any lemons using this ordering method. IMO, it sure beats pressing a button and hoping for the best. However, I don't know if calling the dealer on the phone is practical for overseas customers.

Hopefully, these QC issues will be addressed.

Jim
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

James Y wrote: It's unfortunate hearing about all these flawed knives. Since there are no B&M knife shops in my area anymore (AFAIK), I always order my knives from dealers in other states over the phone. And I always have a short, pre-written list of flaws to check for and avoid, as well as things I want in the knife, before they ship it. So far, I've never gotten any lemons using this ordering method. IMO, it sure beats pressing a button and hoping for the best. However, I don't know if calling the dealer on the phone is practical for overseas customers.

Jim
I think the odds of actually getting a flawed knife are pretty low.

I have only had one defective new in box spyderco out of all the ones I have gotten.

I have only had to make a warranty claim on one other.

I never have issues with excessive play, concerning amounts of lock rock, too much or too little lockbar travel, being too offcenter, or any of the other things that seem to get posted a lot.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
kobold

Post by kobold »

I am in Europe and I never saw a lemon. I bought most of my Spydercos in person in a local brick and mortar shop. I rejected a Chief once, because the centering was off and there was blade play, but bought it a few weeks later when it was on sale, because I realized that there is probably nothing wrong with it other than that the pivot screw needs tightening and I was right.

I think factory seconds can be recognized by a small nick in the jimping area of the spine BTW.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
James Y

Post by James Y »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:23 pm
James Y wrote: It's unfortunate hearing about all these flawed knives. Since there are no B&M knife shops in my area anymore (AFAIK), I always order my knives from dealers in other states over the phone. And I always have a short, pre-written list of flaws to check for and avoid, as well as things I want in the knife, before they ship it. So far, I've never gotten any lemons using this ordering method. IMO, it sure beats pressing a button and hoping for the best. However, I don't know if calling the dealer on the phone is practical for overseas customers.

Jim
I think the odds of actually getting a flawed knife are pretty low.

I have only had one defective new in box spyderco out of all the ones I have gotten.

I have only had to make a warranty claim on one other.

I never have issues with excessive play, concerning amounts of lock rock, too much or too little lockbar travel, being too offcenter, or any of the other things that seem to get posted a lot.

I haven’t had any issues with my knives, either. But clearly, some posters are having issues with some of theirs. I don’t know 100% if my lack of QC issues has to do with my method of ordering, but I’ll keep doing it the same way, as it’s worked for me so far.

Jim
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Just a follow up on the chief, mine arrived from the states and its perfect!, thanks Spyderco.

Rock solid lock up, well centred, really nice grind on both sides and one of the sharpest out of the box spydercos ive ever got.
Agree with Evil, its a brilliant slicer. I very thinly sliced an apple like it was butter.

I was a bit concerned before it arrived about the thin tip reports, but was stoked to see it thicker than my PM2 (looking top down).
Id read a few people say it was thinner than their pm2 tip, my PM2 tip is super thin, wasn't sure how it could be thinner but my worries are gone now.
Cant see me ever breaking this tip, nor will I be worried about it.

Its a harder use knife than I thought it would be. Obviously not the sort of knife you want to lever things open with, but im willing to bet this knife is a harder using knife than many think.

Still feels rock solid with no liners, as solid as my linerless cold steel American lawman, even though the lawman is a much more heavy duty blade.

The chief could do with the g10 a bit more rounded on the edges, but that's only personal preference and I can easily give it a light sand, so that's no issue at all.

So im very happy with the chief, thrilled the QC is very good, thanks again Spyderco for a great knife.
Matus

Post by Matus »

eventhorizon wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:49 am
Well, I'm in Germany, so sending it in would cost me around $50... one way, that is.
And it's a sold out sprint run, so... yeah.
If you bought yours in DE - did you consider sending it to the seller? After all, we get 2 years warranty here ...
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Have had an S30V chief for a while now, and recently got an S90V/CF chief...I thought they were all gone, but St. Nick's Knives in Florence, AL had 2! Have to say, I wish I would have jumped on the Blade HQ version. I had stopped carrying my Chief because I love the Shaman so much, but the Chief is just big, slim, light, and FUN. Still breaking in my S90 one. I did my normal take apart, check, clean, lube for new knives. It was a bit dry, like my S30 Chief. Breaking in nicely though, still not as slick as my S30 but it's getting there.

I've gotten quite a few new knives lately...Spyderco Stretch 2, Endela, s90V Chief, Kapara, and a new Benchmade Adamas. I wish I had more pockets...I love using all of them, but I just can't carry all of them around at the same time...LOL

I wonder what other Chief versions are coming. I'll be keeping an eye out, but I don't know if they'll beat my S90V/CF...that thing is just beautiful. Hate I dropped it, but hey, it will get scars being a user!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela