I grossly underestimated the Native Chief

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: I grossly underestimated the Native Chief

Post by Evil D »

sn0wman72 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:27 pm
Thx vivi. If I understand correctly, negative blade angle means a portion of the blade is lower than the handle of the knife -or- the blade is angled down from the handle. How does a curved handle effect this?

Simply put, the blade angles downward from the handle. If you draw a line down the center of the blade and handle, the blade will be going down. Not to be confused with blades having a belly. Some knives have both (Military). An example of positive blade angle would be the Spydiechef.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I can understand the proliferation of negative blade angled knives in Spyderco's line up as they seem to be extremely popular. I suppose it all depends upon the function for which it is intended. I wouldn't mind seeing more neutral to slightly positively angled larger knives in the Spyderco lineup, tho. I tend to do more slicing rather than power cutting with my knives. From fish or fowl to big and small game, I slice a lot of flesh. Neutral to slightly positive angled blades make it easier to use the entire length of the cutting edge....especially the heel portion of the blade. The Kapara and SpydieChef are good examples of this. Different strokes for different folks. :)
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

The other thread about the FRN idea makes me really question whether I would come to terms with the sharp corners on the Chief's scales. Evil D, any thoughts on that? I know I could sand them down, or better yet carefully chamfer them with a router. But would rather not.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

zhyla wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 2:47 pm
The other thread about the FRN idea makes me really question whether I would come to terms with the sharp corners on the Chief's scales. Evil D, any thoughts on that? I know I could sand them down, or better yet carefully chamfer them with a router. But would rather not.

You can only round then off so much at the top because the screws are so close to the edges. The bottom you can go crazy on and round them off. Should be able to bevel them at least as much as other G10 handles like a Military or whatever.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

sn0wman72 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:27 pm
Thx vivi. If I understand correctly, negative blade angle means a portion of the blade is lower than the handle of the knife -or- the blade is angled down from the handle. How does a curved handle effect this?
You are correct.

Curved handles can position the blade at a more negative angle when saber gripped. The angle the blade sits it in relation to the handle is only one piece of the puzzle.

If I hold my Chief in the choil VS behind the choil, it has a more negative angle gripped behind the choil. Try it and see.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

skeeg11 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 2:15 pm
I can understand the proliferation of negative blade angled knives in Spyderco's line up as they seem to be extremely popular. I suppose it all depends upon the function for which it is intended. I wouldn't mind seeing more neutral to slightly positively angled larger knives in the Spyderco lineup, tho. I tend to do more slicing rather than power cutting with my knives. From fish or fowl to big and small game, I slice a lot of flesh. Neutral to slightly positive angled blades make it easier to use the entire length of the cutting edge....especially the heel portion of the blade. The Kapara and SpydieChef are good examples of this. Different strokes for different folks. :)
Yep, something like the bow river would be a lot more useful for your uses than a sliverax. My chef knives can also benefit from a positive angle.

This conversation reminds me of one of the last Kershaws I tried out:

Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Just another opinion, but the arc of the Native Chief from tip to tail of the open and locked knife is a wonderful site to behold.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Naperville wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 5:44 pm
Just another opinion, but the arc of the Native Chief from tip to tail of the open and locked knife is a wonderful site to behold.
I have to agree, this is one of the Glessers' most elegant models in terms of form.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Excited to finally give this model a chance, and my only "long" folder since selling my Military! In the deals thread at whitemountainknives, using the code KNIFEDEALS I was able to snag one for $154.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Good news for me: This thread (and the Native Chief impressions thread viewtopic.php?t=84087) made me realize that I clearly needed a Native Chief in my life. I think this design addresses complaints with the Native5 (heavy for blade length, excessive choil length in an already short blade). And I grabbed the REX 45 sprint version, so an interesting steel that I like.
Somewhat less good news: I grabbed one from National Knives last night at the full asking price ($171.50) instead of waiting a day and snagging one for $154 at WMK. Oh well - I've certainly snagged some great deals in the past, so no particular concerns about missing out this time. Even at $171, I felt like that was a good value relative to the base S30V model ($160 ish) and the $146 I paid for my REX 45 PM2 (also at National) back in 2018. I am a big fan of National, and am happy to support them.
Bring on the Chief!
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:12 am
Excited to finally give this model a chance, and my only "long" folder since selling my Military! In the deals thread at whitemountainknives, using the code KNIFEDEALS I was able to snag one for $154.
That's a great price for what you're getting. I recently reset the bevel on mine and I was really impressed with how easily it took a blazing sharp edge.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

vivi wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:45 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
That's a great price for what you're getting. I recently reset the bevel on mine and I was really impressed with how easily it took a blazing sharp edge.
I've been so impressed with Rex45, that I normally only need touch ups (even after a week straight working in the warehouse) But now that I'll have 3 knives in the steel, I think I'm ready to grind off a little steel on one of them and bring it to down to 14-17dps and see how it does...just have to decide which knife.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:53 am
vivi wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:45 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
I've been so impressed with Rex45, that I normally only need touch ups (even after a week straight working in the warehouse) But now that I'll have 3 knives in the steel, I think I'm ready to grind off a little steel on one of them and bring it to down to 14-17dps and see how it does...just have to decide which knife.
Haha, chances are you'll already have one ;) My chief came ground at 13-14 dps.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

I have to say, this thread is making me regret selling my REX45 Chief pretty intensely..
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

I have used my cutlery shoppe xhp version a lot lately. I just haven't made the connection I thought I would considering my love for the hundred pacer and the military. Ouf of the big spydies I own, the chief ranks 3. When it was getting dull I wasnt a fan of the hotspot in my hand. It's compact, it has reach, but I'd rather have a Millie instead. I have a few knives to go thru before returning back to the chief. Chris Reeve s35vn, zdp endura, and a.manix lightweight in s90v. It's a good knife, but if I'm carrying a big knife for the qualities a big blade offers I'd rather have the hundred pacer or my Millie instead. Just my opinion tho, kudos to the chief lovers out there.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

I've been carrying my Native Chief from NK since I received it last Friday. Mine was flawless, as usual. The Rex 45 was very nicely ground.
This is a really nice design that I do really enjoy. If you generally enjoy Spyderco's backlocks (as I do), and have a preference for larger knives (as I also do), then I think this is a quite solid design. I wouldn't say its the sexiest design, but is a very competent Spyderco. I like that it is nice and slim in the pocket and that it is a rampless/humpless design, unlike most of my Spydies. It has a long reach, which I greatly appreciate. For a big knife, it carries even smaller/lighter in the pocket than my beloved Military, which I did not think was possible. I do think it is very thin bte (although haven't gotten out calipers to measure). Mine has broken in enough that the blade closes nicely with a little wrist flick with the choil hitting my index finger. Nice.
I would say that the lines of the knife didn't initially appeal to me, but in hand and in person, the lines have definitely grown on me. Honestly, at this point, I also don't need to another model to add to my collection, and so if I can find a quick reason why I don't need/like a knife, I tend to jump on the rationale. However, I am glad that this thread has pushed me to grab one, especially the Rex 45 sprint, before it was gone.
It's probably not my favorite Spyderco (technically, my favorite is the Techno), but its a top knife in the group that I pick from when I know I'm going to be using my knife (Military, PM2, Shaman, Endela, SSS, or Native Chief).
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

Just got my REX45 Native Chief.

Since this is my first Spyderco backlock... is it normal for the spring to perceptibly protrude over the backspacer when the knife is open? They're perfectly flush when it's closed.
notorious fidgeteer
vivi

Post by vivi »

eventhorizon wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 4:12 pm

Since this is my first Spyderco backlock... is it normal for the spring to perceptibly protrude over the backspacer when the knife is open? They're perfectly flush when it's closed.
I'd say 25% of my Spyderco lockbacks have lock bars that don't seat flush. One of my Rex Chiefs is perfect there, the other is off enough I considered returning it.

I'm usually not too picky about blade centering and other more cosmetic flaws, but I'm not a big fan of how the lock release feels during operation when they're real off.
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

vivi wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 4:19 pm
eventhorizon wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 4:12 pm

I'd say 25% of my Spyderco lockbacks have lock bars that don't seat flush. One of my Rex Chiefs is perfect there, the other is off enough I considered returning it.

I'm usually not too picky about blade centering and other more cosmetic flaws, but I'm not a big fan of how the lock release feels during operation when they're real off.

That sure sounds like a lot. Not sure how I feel about this yet.
notorious fidgeteer
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I will say this much, none of the Spyderco knives I have ever received needs replacing, and they were good from go.

BACK-LOCKS: I have a Native 5, and 3 - Native Chiefs, and the back-locks work just fine.

Every knife that I have from Spyderco is perfect or as near to it as I can get, without noticing anything wrong. I'd need to go over them with a 20x loupe and have a perfect specimen to compare to - to tell the difference, and I am sure that I would not be disappointed.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/