Higher end US made Spydercos?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Higher end US made Spydercos?

Post by JRinFL »

I've been thinking about getting a higher end Spyderco (quality over quantity, I guess) and when I went to look, all I found was one model the s90V CF Native. There are no others made at this time. I'd prefer to spend my money where it is helping fellow citizens if possible. However, outside of the one model, I would have to go to another brand to get what I want.

Is it just me, or do others wish Golden made some higher end models rather than all of the coming from Taiwan these days? I know Golden is expanding and there are rumors of a "custom" shop, so maybe that is when we will see them? Or am I wrong even asking for it?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
standy99

Re: Higher end US made Spydercos?

Post by standy99 »

There is the Respect that’s Golden made ;)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Just so I understand:
With "higher end" you obviously mean first and foremost more "exclusive/more expensive" handle materials, right (and of course close to perfect fit and finish too)?
Since if you meant top level steels they do offer S90V, Maxamet, S110 V in other regular production models too.

/ And I am not an US citizen, but European, but I guess it can never be "wrong" wanting to support ones homecountry, its economy and work places, but just the opposite! I´d also try to buy "Austrian" if Spyderco had a factory here and employed fellow countrymen of mine.
But then: By purchasing a Spyderco product you´ll always at least support an US company, and one of the very best ones, as far as I can tell. And this time I don´t even refer to their products, but rather philosophy, care for their employees and integrity.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

standy99 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:15 am
I did not realize that, thank you. The count has now doubled! The Respect would be slightly less than pocket friendly. :)
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

standy99 wrote:

I thought of this too, and for me it super-high-end!! :)... but going by materials, it is "just"' G10 in the handle plus a special steel, and that´s true for several US made folders too - and the OP seems to want an more uncommon handle material too - ?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:17 am
Just so I understand:
With "higher end" you obviously mean first and foremost more "exclusive/more expensive" handle materials, right (and of course close to perfect fit and finish too)?
Since if you meant top level steels they do offer S90V, Maxamet, S110 V in other regular production models too.

/ And I am not an US citizen, but European, but I guess it can never be "wrong" wanting to support ones homecountry, its economy and work places, but just the opposite! I´d also try to buy "Austrian" if Spyderco had a factory here and employed fellow countrymen of mine.
But then: By purchasing a Spyderco product you´ll always at least support an US company, and one of the very best ones, as far as I can tell. And this time I don´t even refer to their products, but rather philosophy, care for their employees and integrity.

Yes, something like (but not the same obviously) the Slysz offerings, the titanium Chaparrals, etc. I have Spydercos made everywhere they make them, so I'm not opposed to them, I just would like to see some higher end stuff made here.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Any of the Titanium Millies or the fluted Ti Native
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

It’s a reputable company family owned, USA research and development, Taiwan & Japan is a USA alliance against China, I figure that if spyderco does the foot work, I buy a knife pay my sales taxes , tariffs are paid , I get a spyderco GB2 with good M4 steel,
I can do business with spyderco and they contract out or some government agency gives Taiwan the money in some wonky government program through my taxes and I don’t get a knife out of the deal

S-3 ranch Texas
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Fluted Ti Military, Fluted Ti Native and Fluted CF Native are all exceptionally nice. I would love to see Golden make more high end knives. They have made plenty of peel ply CF/S90V knives but I think we are talking about fancier knives than that.

There was a integral component lock fluted ti Para2 prototype many years ago and lots of talk about a fluted cf Para2. Not sure what happened there?

I would like to see the more premium knives made in Golden for sure.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Nate

Post by Nate »

Iirc, the s90v/cf Chief can still be found. Would like to have one, but went for the standard model for now.
:spyder:
Danke

Post by Danke »

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Golden models are definitely my favorites. I'd love to see this!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I do remember the fluted Ti models, but they do not appear to be in production any longer.

Buying used would solve my want, but does not help Spyderco. Only buying new helps Spyderco and the workers.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

There are the Abel Reels Native 5 Salts. You would be supporting two U.S. companies buying one of those. The handles are aluminum but thats required for their impeccable anodizing work! The handles also have unique concave grooves along the edge of the scales that none of the other Native 5's have.

I'd love to see more high end collaboration models made in Golden. Not necessarily just high end versions of their current golden made models.
-Nick :bug-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:49 am

I'd love to see more high end collaboration models made in Golden. Not necessarily just high end versions of their current golden made models.
^This
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
anycal

Post by anycal »

I guess we can look at it in two ways. A production model with 'nicer' materials; or a dedicated high end model.

As far as I am aware, based on what has been available in my Spyderco lifetime, we have only seen fancier production models come from Golden. I would love to see new high end model.

To me, the RIL CF Military is as good as it gets on the higher end.

Peter
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:18 am
standy99 wrote:
I did not realize that, thank you. The count has now doubled! The Respect would be slightly less than pocket friendly. :)
Just depends how deep your pockets are. :D

GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

The new triple b handmade collaboration will be Golden CO made
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Hard to avoid politics here, so I’ll simply assert that what Spyderco has been doing for years is not what Walmart and the like have been doing years.

The former, unlike the latter, does not rely on the cheapest labor (with its often inhumane working conditions), thus divorcing American workers from their traditional livelihoods.

And make no mistake, Spyderco’s overseas operations are a direct benefit to Golden’s factory workers and their job security. Think synergy. And, here, I leave aside the benefit to the world of having mutually respectful trading partners, of which Spyderco is obviously one. Just think of Sal’s loyalty to Seki.

I, for one, also believe that the present production in Golden is as high-end as it needs to be. Putting out near-perfect unpretentious product using mass-production techniques is an art far higher than making this product fancier.

But this is just me rambling.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I'd like to see this as well, especially that fluted Ti PM2 with integral lock.