Which FRN knife would you choose

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Pick one: chaparral, rock jumper, endela, stretch, native (frn)

Chaparral
38%
Rock Jumper
16%
Endela
13%
Stretch
16%
Native (FRN)
18%

Total votes: 56

Paraguy

Which FRN knife would you choose

Post by Paraguy »

Hello all! I looking in to getting a FRN spydi for the purpose for making a nice wooden handle. Im considering either a Chaparral, Rock jumper, Endela (possibly a wave: any thoughts?), stretch or native. These are in the order of which ones i think I'm most likely to get. The native would have been much higher had it had steel liners. Which one of these do you think would be easiest to make a wood handle for? Which is your favorite design. Steel is irrelevant. If you can't decide between two mention in a comment. If you want to recommend a another design mention in a comment.
"Some call me...Tim?"
SG89

Re: Which FRN knife would you choose

Post by SG89 »

I have yet to see custom scales for the rock jumper or endela. You might start there.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tough question just the Native would be no consideration for me: No liners make it much harder to make a wooden handle and it is way lower in my list than the other four. [Edit: The G10 Native did have liners till some time ago. Perhaps you could still find one, don´t know).

The Seki models all have nested liners, custom scales would be easier to do on full / exposed liners.
So my recommendation would actually be the Tenacious LW /(FRN): Full, exposed liners, so scales would "just" have to be slabs of wood without the need to hollow them out, the knife can be had very affordable in 8CR, or in S35VN - I lately got the latter and it is just great. Perfect fit and finish and the great linerlock showed me again how superior this locktype is in userfriendlyness and safety in hand while operation

Endela wave: Don´t know if you saw my reply in that other thread, but I would not recommend it, unless you explicitly want the narrow sabre grind blade: Extremely (I´d say unnecessarely) sturdy, especially in the tip, but a less good slicer.
The wave feature can get in the way when stabbing/penetrating matter and its function can be had by a simple zip tie mod.
Get the Endela SE and you´ll have one of the best performing cutters I personally ever owned

Stretch: Great model, especially the discontinued Stretch 1, a real classic and still to be found. Would be a great candidate for wood scales imho...
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

CHAP CHAP CHAP

otherwise rockjumper since it’s super funky.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Glad to see how popular the Chap FRN seems to be! :)

Maybe this brings us closer to my most wished for model, a Chaparral XL... :rolleyes:
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:06 am

Maybe this brings us closer to my most wished for model, a Chaparral XL... :rolleyes:

I tried to buy the SS Stretch but it couldn't be sent because of COVID. I will buy a K390 version when they are available.

I agree regarding the Chaparral. The Chaparral is a very good design but too small for me. I will buy 2 XL's when available.

*Only if it remains thin stock.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Hands down Chaparral, my Chap with custom Micarta scales is one of my favorite knives I own.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Wartstein wrote:

Isn't that a sage?
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:58 pm
Tough question just the Native would be no consideration for me: No liners make it much harder to make a wooden handle and it is way lower in my list than the other four. [Edit: The G10 Native did have liners till some time ago. Perhaps you could still find one, don´t know).

The Seki models all have nested liners, custom scales would be easier to do on full / exposed liners.
So my recommendation would actually be the Tenacious LW /(FRN): Full, exposed liners, so scales would "just" have to be slabs of wood without the need to hollow them out, the knife can be had very affordable in 8CR, or in S35VN - I lately got the latter and it is just great. Perfect fit and finish and the great linerlock showed me again how superior this locktype is in userfriendlyness and safety in hand while operation

Endela wave: Don´t know if you saw my reply in that other thread, but I would not recommend it, unless you explicitly want the narrow sabre grind blade: Extremely (I´d say unnecessarely) sturdy, especially in the tip, but a less good slicer.
The wave feature can get in the way when stabbing/penetrating matter and its function can be had by a simple zip tie mod.
Get the Endela SE and you´ll have one of the best performing cutters I personally ever owned

Stretch: Great model, especially the discontinued Stretch 1, a real classic and still to be found. Would be a great candidate for wood scales imho...
I know! Ive been eyeing that a Tenacious for quite some time. Its a great deal but I'm not the biggest fan of the ergos and the liner lock isn't my cup of tea.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:24 pm
CHAP CHAP CHAP

otherwise rockjumper since it’s super funky.
Im leaning towards the Chap because of the CTS XHP which after some research seems like a great steel for me. From what I've heard of the rock jumper is that it has smooth deployment which is very important to me. Also a VG-10 Wharncliffe seems like a dream to sharpen. The thing is that it looks like a bit of a pocket hog compared to the Endela. I like the Native a lot and 108 bucks is a great deal but it isn't quite germane to the project at hand.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Paraguy wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:19 am
Wartstein wrote:

Isn't that a sage?
No, not at all. Just similar shape.

But not the great 2mm bladestock (but standard 3mm (at least not 3.7...)
Not the most perfect backlock
Not the extremely slim carry while still being really comfortable in hand

And I'd imagine the Chap XL a bit larger, like PM2 or Endela size.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I've had them all except the Rock Jumper, and the lack of the dent and jimping on that one turn me off. Endela all the way! It is pretty much all I carry anymore. As close as it gets to perfection.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

If there can be only one, it's definitely the Chaparral.
rashman

Post by rashman »

i have the sun & moon chaparral, it’s my favorite small spydie. This chaparral has been my second carry knife 95% of the time since i got it. keep tryin to get a frn model, but some how other bigger spyderco’s keep showing up instead - LOL!
current fav’s: K390 SS Stretch, PM2 CruWear Mircata, P.I.T.S., Subway Bowie
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

My answer is...YES
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Paraguy wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:31 am
Wartstein wrote:
I know! Ive been eyeing that a Tenacious for quite some time. Its a great deal but I'm not the biggest fan of the ergos and the liner lock isn't my cup of tea.

What is it that you don´t like in the linerlock? (Honest question, cause whenever I come back to a good Spyderco linerlock I am delighted with how easy, natural and safe it is to use)
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:40 pm
Paraguy wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:31 am
Wartstein wrote:

What is it that you don´t like in the linerlock? (Honest question, cause whenever I come back to a good Spyderco linerlock I am delighted with how easy, natural and safe it is to use)
They make the knife less comfortable because the scale is cut out on one side.
"Some call me...Tim?"
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Rock Jumper because it's the only I haven't tried yet.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:28 pm
I've had them all except the Rock Jumper, and the lack of the dent and jimping on that one turn me off. Endela all the way! It is pretty much all I carry anymore. As close as it gets to perfection.
I'm confused. the RJ is a back lock, isn't it? It has no detent (thank God!) so it is much safer, like the Endela.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:04 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:28 pm
I'm confused. the RJ is a back lock, isn't it? It has no detent (thank God!) so it is much safer, like the Endela.
I think he was referring to the boye dent.

---
OP,

I agree with what Wartstein was saying about the Tenacious LW. Using a model without nested liners is going to be a much easier place to start, depending on your woodwork skill level and what kind of access to tools you have.

If you just want a knife with some nice wood scales, don't forget about the Birdseye Maple Chaparral. If your goal is to ultimately make the scales yourself then this would probably not be quite as appealing of an option.
-Nick :bug-red