Is this normal for MAXAMET?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
z1r

Re: Is this normal for MAXAMET?

Post by z1r »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:07 am
z1r wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 4:28 pm
Makes me wonder if I really want a Maxamet blade now? If not, what is the next best alternative?
Why not? Mine cuts like crazy regardless of the tiny pinholes
My only real concern, especially after seeing the pic with pits on the edge, was what if those pits appear on the apex? Though, none appear to be in that pic.

Got some Birthday money and a $50 off frequent buyer card discount so I may pop into the SFO and see what Maxamet models they have in stock on Friday.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

rezman2115 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:06 pm

If this is a sign of corrosion, then I will no longer use the distributor since they provide sub-optimal products and refuse to enforce their customer service. I am sincerely hoping that is not the case and all MAXAMET blades have this when new.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help!!
I think I've found the answer to your question: corrosion.

Yesterday I was playing around with dyeing, and being the lazy sort, I just dumped the whole knife into the broth. When I took the knife out, the bevel showed quite a bit of corrosion. It's REX45 so it wasn't an entire surprise. The corrosion was mostly on the bevel, I believe, because that was bare metal that was cleaner than the rest of the blade. No big deal, so I just took a couple passes with a stone and cleaned off the edge. Easy peasy.

This morning I was sitting here at my desk and got the urge to look at that edge under the scope. HOLY MOLY! Under magnification, the area that was corroded looks like Swiss cheese! There are craters that look similar to the pictures of your Maxamet blade. My cheese holes should get better through use and subsequent sharpening, so I'm not overly concerned. My observation immediately reminded me of your question, so I took a couple pics. Rather fascinating, huh?
Photo on 5-12-21 at 11.28 AM.jpg
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:02 pm
rezman2115 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:06 pm

If this is a sign of corrosion, then I will no longer use the distributor since they provide sub-optimal products and refuse to enforce their customer service. I am sincerely hoping that is not the case and all MAXAMET blades have this when new.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help!!
I think I've found the answer to your question: corrosion.

Yesterday I was playing around with dyeing, and being the lazy sort, I just dumped the whole knife into the broth. When I took the knife out, the bevel showed quite a bit of corrosion. It's REX45 so it wasn't an entire surprise. The corrosion was mostly on the bevel, I believe, because that was bare metal that was cleaner than the rest of the blade. No big deal, so I just took a couple passes with a stone and cleaned off the edge. Easy peasy.

This morning I was sitting here at my desk and got the urge to look at that edge under the scope. HOLY MOLY! Under magnification, the area that was corroded looks like Swiss cheese! There are craters that look similar to the pictures of your Maxamet blade. My cheese holes should get better through use and subsequent sharpening, so I'm not overly concerned. My observation immediately reminded me of your question, so I took a couple pics. Rather fascinating, huh?

Photo on 5-12-21 at 11.28 AM.jpg
Great picture, this is very interesting. Similar to what I saw on my ZDP189 Stretch after taking it to the beach or into a hot tub (can't remember which :o )
notfixingit

Post by notfixingit »

I took a look at mine today that came in and do not have any sort of pitting or discoloration other then what looks like a small scratch on the logo which is only visible at 80x+. The scratch is actually black, like the laser engraver or what ever they use to do it went wild for a second.
----------------------------------------------------
Spyderco and Tops enthusiast
Obsessed with DLC Cruwear for some reason
Knives, Guns, and Watches, yes please

- Tom aka NotFixingIT
Wolf Hedegaard

Post by Wolf Hedegaard »

So I got two new Maxamet knives in the past two weeks. The Native 5 has these pits and the PM2 does not.

The pits are also in the grind, in every surface in fact, which leads me to suspect that they are relatively homogeneous throughout the steel itself. After a few sharpenings I will know if new ones reveal themselves.

They are only visible under magnification.

I have no idea what it is or the cause.

Any updates on this?

EDIT:

I reprofiled the Native 5 and the pits aren’t in the new steel. It seems to be a surface issue only.