Question for owners/users of Gayle Bradley Advocate (C214TIP)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JMM

Question for owners/users of Gayle Bradley Advocate (C214TIP)

Post by JMM »

Hey folks, I was hoping I could get some quick feedback from users of the Advocate as I have the opportunity to pick up a new one for $200. I haven't had the best of luck with the Spyderco flippers I've had like the Southard & Mantra3 especially... How is the detent & lock-up, fidget factor, would you buy again? How's the "orange peel" Ti texture?

TIA!

Cheers,

John
Sharp Guy

Re: Question for owners/users of Gayle Bradley Advocate (C214TIP)

Post by Sharp Guy »

Hi John,

I only have the one but the lock up and detent are good and it flips great. I like the orange peel texture too. It's subtle but I can feel it. I would definitely buy it again.

Some don't like the extra long flipper tab but that's pretty easy to modify. I considered doing the same but then I realized that, with the angle it sits in my pocket, it's a non-issue. I like how it serves as a guard too.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Hey John,

I never had any complaints or issues with my Advocate (CQI). It flipped great, and the detent was fine. Lockup was good. I found the edge of the lockbar uncomfortably sharp, which I easily rectified with some sandpaper. The orange peel texture was really nice IMO.

I have since sold it, but only to free up funds for other purchases, not because I didn't like the knife.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Slim in pocket and great in hand. The CQI bearings are different than the Southard and Mantra, but the first run of Advocates had the old style bearings. I had both and they felt about the same to me in use. Both had strong detents and "crisp" Taichung edges. Lock bar is a bit uncomfortable for some, but works well. The Orange Peel is a nice touch, especially with the polished edges as a contrast.
Last edited by abbazaba on Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I did not know Taichung had American gang ties...
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have the CQI version and it is very nice. Definitely fidget friendly. I don’t like flippers and have thought about removing the tab. In the end, even though it is a great knife, I never actually carry it. That is just because I have too many knives though. If I was a fidgeter and if I liked flippers I probably would carry it a lot.

Aesthetically I am neutral in regards to the orange peel texture but I do like the way it feels in hand. I will also agree that it carries very slim in the pocket.

I had a Southard too and it had a great action with a strong detent. I sold it for other reasons though.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:46 am
:D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
LOL. Typo corrected.
Lumpy620

Post by Lumpy620 »

Had the original, sold it to fund another purchase, ended up with the CQI later on which I still have. I concur with all the above.

It's a great piece. Detent on the CQI was noticibly better, but both fired good, better action than my Mantra 3 and Southard. Lockup on both settled to about 50%, hasn't budged a millimeter. Like Darby, I'm neutral on the texture from a aesthetic standpoint, but it is great in hand, and I prefer it to say, slick titanium scales.
:bug-red :zany :bug-red -Joel
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

abbazaba wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:16 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
LOL. Typo corrected.
What did it say? Crips? :D
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:50 am
abbazaba wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:16 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
LOL. Typo corrected.
What did it say? Crips? :D
Yes lol. This forum is the last place I would ever think to see that word so I was like man those are some crazy edges
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’ve got the Pre CQI and it doesn’t have any issues. I will say though, it is an absolutely better knife with the orange peel gone and blasted scales, and with a flipper delete. That blade just fly’s out with the thumb hole. My favorite Spyderco by far.
Josh
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I've got both the original and the CQI version...I have used the original a ton, the CQI was just bought as a backup. It is a great design. The only thing I would change is the flipper tab...either making it smaller or a complete delete would be an upgrade in my opinion.
So it goes.
JMM

Post by JMM »

This is great, thank you everyone for your input! I'm definitely going to snag it while I can... super appreciated!

Cheers,

John
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

An even crispier edge! :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

JMM wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:06 am
Hey folks, I was hoping I could get some quick feedback from users of the Advocate as I have the opportunity to pick up a new one for $200. I haven't had the best of luck with the Spyderco flippers I've had like the Southard & Mantra3 especially... How is the detent & lock-up, fidget factor, would you buy again? How's the "orange peel" Ti texture?

TIA!

Cheers,

John
I have a late CQI model. I purchased it from the SFO after they were discontinued. The detent appears to be crisp, there's a moderate amount of amount of force needed to swing the blade out. The blade will stay locked until you overcome the detent, then it snaps out. I have three of the original Mantras, (I like them, can you tell?) They have a lighter, thinner blade and so they're easier to deploy the blade on. (They work 100%.) The Advocate with its longer, heavier blade takes a bit more force to deploy, and it swings more slowly. (kind of a no brainer) The taller flipper tab helps get the heavier mass moving. I have no issues with the flipper tab when it's in my pocket.

The lock-up is solid. I'd say the frame lock engages 50% across the tang of the blade.

I have dry skin, so as far a gripping the orange peel Ti, it's slippery most of the time.

Fidget factor is 110%. ;)