Spyderco Worker 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matus

Spyderco Worker 2?

Post by Matus »

My main focus when it comes to folding knives at the moment (and I am looking mostly at Spyderco for the time being) is to find a knife that serves me well with cutting tasks around my workshop. After longer consideration I got myself a Chief in Rex 45. It is an excellent knife with a relatively neutral handle and flat-ish blade - all properties I was looking for - plus it has a very solid and smooth lock. But it does feels too long for my use even after a few weeks (I personally do think that a finger choil this far out into the blade on a knife this long is just making the knife unnecessarily clunky). I did try the Native 5, but that one felt a little too small.

I do plan to try the Manix, but can not stop thinking that it would be wonderful if Spyderco would take the Worker design (see below a Spyderco stock photo of the sprint run) and brought us a new version.

I did buy the worker back then but ended up selling it as I was looking for a different type of knife back then. Today, I would LOVE a knife with those design features. The Worker was excellent in hand - the is enough room to put a thumb or index finger on the spine of the knife, the blade profile is very utilitarian, the grind would work pretty well too.

So just to voice a wish - I would love to see a design based on the Worker with say up to 3" of cutting edge, no finger choil, hand filling handle (G10, FRN, ...) and a blade in some tough-ish tool steel and a backlock (Spyderco does them well, they are ambidextrous and super simple).

Again - I know that there is the Manix, but I am wondering whether this kind of knife would find its audience.

Worker.JPG
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
dan31

Re: Spyderco Worker 2?

Post by dan31 »

The last sprint run of the worker was a very nice piece. G10 back locks from Japan have been expensive. Are you thinking HAP40?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I would be in if it's changed to ffg. I love the handle though
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I've brought up many times the want for a Worker 2 LW. I really liked the Worker Sprint Run, but the G10 is a bit heavier than I want in a knife that small. FRN would be awesome. Maybe something like an H1 Worker blade in a Salt 2 frame? Or even a little Worker-fly. Or just a regular Worker 2 LW in a Delica-esque frame with liners. I wouldn't want FFG. The Saber grind with Swedge and strong pointy tip are what make it appealing.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Matus

Post by Matus »

I agrere - the Worker as pictured was a bit ... butt-heavy. I would however in general prefer to see a knife that was based on its design, rather than a copy in different materials (what could be an option though). I do think that the knife should be 'work' oriented, rather than a super lightweight EDC.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Have you tried a Delica? There was a Cruwear version recently.

While I agree, it'd be cool to see a new Worker, I can't help but thinking the Delica might just do the trick for you.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I would rather see a Sprint, like the green one, offered in SE.

I wouldn't change anything about the design. The handle is wonderful.

Was the swedge still sharpened, or did they change that?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I also wouldn't change anything about the design. The clip is fine as I would carry this one tip-down anyway.

Love the original grind. Love the knife. Just wish I had one. :) I just want one because it's Spyderco's first knife.

Maybe black G10 and K390?

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:56 am

Pretty sure the swedge was never sharpened. A friend has an original SS model that's 20+ years old and the swedge is not sharp.

"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Matus

Post by Matus »

Delica is a great EDC, but the Worker is sturdier ... and more cool :p
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Fred Sanford wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:04 am
I also wouldn't change anything about the design. The clip is fine as I would carry this one tip-down anyway.

Love the original grind. Love the knife. Just wish I had one. :) I just want one because it's Spyderco's first knife.

Maybe black G10 and K390?

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:56 am

Pretty sure the swedge was never sharpened. A friend has an original SS model that's 20+ years old and the swedge is not sharp.

I have one from the 90s and I'm fairly certain it is sharpened. But, it was a Japanese market knife. Maybe they were different.

I would prefer stainless. But, I'd buy one either way. Just give me an SE option. That is almost a requirement for me, on sub 3" blades.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

The sprint looks nice. I think I would rather have a Rookie if we’re resurrecting old models, but a Worker would not be far behind.

Edit: I wouldn’t want to change either of them though.
Matus

Post by Matus »

I just came across some of my older photos on flickr and remembered this thread. Yes, I would still love the Worker in a tool steel ... It would be such a practical knife for me today. I preferred the ergonomics to the Delica by a lot ...

19600270002_9507e0d67b_b.jpg
19600267412_12455b8529_b.jpg
19420651699_a22d066445_b.jpg
19420641079_3cf2658455_b.jpg
19600264152_31bb590a7c_b.jpg
19607215485_f4958f434d_b.jpg
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Rock Jumper handle, Worker blade. Would be awesome.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'd like to see what Sal & Eric come up with while using the same design parameters of the Worker. So all new, but respecting the "why" of the original Worker.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I feel my objections to an upswept pointy blade are melting away with this particular proposal.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:48 am
I feel my objections to an upswept pointy blade are melting away with this particular proposal.

What got me was the potential function of a second edge on top. One of Sal's comments gave me some ideas about how I might use that. The big detail with the tip is that it's a fairly thick saber grind so the tip is still pretty beefy for being so pointy. I would love to have a SE version with the second edge, or at least be able to sharpen it into an edge myself.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
carrot

Post by carrot »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:28 am
Rock Jumper handle, Worker blade. Would be awesome.
RockWorker? I'm in.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I'd love to see an FRN worker added to the K390 lineup. Hopefully linerless FRN as I don't think liners are needed in a knife this size. That would also solve the G10-from-Seki-expense issue. Fingers crossed!
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

This year is the Worker's 40th anniversary. It would be awesome to see a new edition of the Worker!
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Filoso- wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:55 pm
This year is the Worker's 40th anniversary. It would be awesome to see a new edition of the Worker!

I would be absolutely autonomic if this occured...Worker 40 seems like a must.
So it goes.