can someone please tell me what this is?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bdogswag11

can someone please tell me what this is?

Post by Bdogswag11 »

Hey guys, I'm completely new to the knife world and especially the Spiderco world. I usually buy like a $10 knife from home depot to get the job done at work. but after the ones I buy dulling so much I went to my dad for some advice on what I should buy, instead he gave me this knife that he had, (he has quite the collection). after doing some research I believe its a "paramilitary 2" and I'm so sorry if I'm like completely wrong and I sound stupid, but my thing was it seems a little different from all the pictures and videos I see of it. it has this loop on the bottom that you can like spin it and the belt clip seems to be upside down. Ill leave a picture of it attached. again sorry if i sound dumb or anything, id just like someone to clear up what it is exactly for me id really appreciate it.

~Bdog~
Attachments
image0 (3).jpeg
Michael Janich

Re: can someone please tell me what this is?

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, bdogswag11:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

The knife is a Para 3 with G-10 handle. The ring is an aftermarket Signet Ring (not sold by Spyderco) that allows the knife to be used like a Karambit. The advantage of such a ring is debatable.

Stay safe,

Mike
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Welcome aboard and that's a great start! Don't ever hesitate to ask. I'm right there with you in the Spyderco universe so it's a learning game.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Its a knife. :D

The clip can be moved to different positions.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yes, it is a Para 3, a really fine knife. You should thank your dad profusely. That knife ain't cheap. Are those G-10 scales gray in color? It looks like it from my monitor. If so, the steel is Maxamet. It will hold an edge a very, very long time. Turn the knife over and look at the blade near the handle and see if it says Maxamet (opposite side from the picture). He really gave you a good one!

(Oh, and by the way, you are new so you are probation. Your replies will be slow getting to us.)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Yep as others have said, its a Para 3 but the scales do not look stock, they look like they're aftermarket. The other side of the blade will say what the steel is. (For example - CPM S30V)

Spyderco Para 3 - https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... ara-3/1009

The clip is more intended for your pocket, opposed to your belt. The clip can also be repositioned to either side or either end of the knife, depending on your preference.

The signet ring on the back looks to be from a company called "Wise Men Company." More info can be found here - https://wisemencompany.com/signet-ring- ... matriarch/

It's a really nice knife, hope you enjoy it.
Last edited by Mushroom on Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Nick :bug-red
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

It looks like a very dirty blurple, not Maxamet.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Possible. On my screen it looks gray. If it is blurple, then S110V and so much the better!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

It looked gray to me as well, until I zoomed in and saw the blurple around the edges.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The scales look aftermarket. It's hard to make out the texture from the photo, but they don't exactly look like G10 to me, almost more like terotuff.
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Is it just the perspective or something wrong with the clip(-placement)?
Can't be that it covers part of the comp.lock cutout?! :confused:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

And funny, I really don't like signet rings, but on the Para 3 it actually somehow makes sense to me: Not used as a ring with a finger IN it, but just as extention of the short grip area behind the choil (so with the pinky not in, but outside on the "bottom" of the ring...)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

For hands my size, that ring is a virtual necessity. As you say, not to put a finger in, and not to use it like a kerambit, but just for a place to put my finger.
Bdogswag11

Post by Bdogswag11 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:19 am
Yes, it is a Para 3, a really fine knife. You should thank your dad profusely. That knife ain't cheap. Are those G-10 scales gray in color? It looks like it from my monitor. If so, the steel is Maxamet. It will hold an edge a very, very long time. Turn the knife over and look at the blade near the handle and see if it says Maxamet (opposite side from the picture). He really gave you a good one!

(Oh, and by the way, you are new so you are probation. Your replies will be slow getting to us.)
the knife says CPM S110V. yea I made sure I thanked him once I found out the price tag on this thing I'm almost scared to use it because I don't want to break it. :)
Bdogswag11

Post by Bdogswag11 »

thank you all very much for the info. had no idea so many people would help me out I really appreciate it. ill take good care of it, and again you guys are awesome you helped a ton
Bdogswag11

Post by Bdogswag11 »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:58 am
It looked gray to me as well, until I zoomed in and saw the blurple around the edges.
sorry for the bad quality I had to post a lower resolution image because when i went to post the original the file was to large. sorry
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Bdogswag11 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:33 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:58 am
sorry for the bad quality I had to post a lower resolution image because when i went to post the original the file was to large. sorry
No worries, I run into the same issue with my photo uploads as well.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Bdogswag11, welcome to the forum. That steel is a very high carbide stainless steel. It has good corrosion resistance, very good abrasive wear resistance and a bit lower than good toughness because of the high amount of carbides. That stuff will cut and cut and keep on cutting even when it feels dull to the touch because of the mini sawtooth effect of the carbides at microscope sizes. Overall a very high performing stainless steel.

I'd recommend not scraping, using as a screwdriver or other such things that you might consider with a cheap gas station knife. I'd also recommend not going thinner and lower at the edge than the way it comes from Spyderco at least until you have a chance to get to know the steel. If needed you can go up to 40 degrees inclusive from the 30 degrees it came with or you can microbevel the edge for a similar result. The point being you can tune the edge for your needs.

The knife was made for high performance cutting and slicing so go ahead and use the heck out of it. Outside of Spyderco you will likely not see much of S110V. It's so wear resistant not many companies want to make knives out of it or do the things needed to really get what the steel is capable out of it.

Joe
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Bdogswag11, to add to what The Mastiff just said, I believe it is better to occasionally touch up the edge rather than let it get dull. It holds an edge for a very, very, very long time (which is what you needed) but that also means it is very wear resistant or difficult to sharpen once dull. Don't baby it. Use it. It will take it. You can cut stuff forever.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:52 am
Is it just the perspective or something wrong with the clip(-placement)?
Can't be that it covers part of the comp.lock cutout?! :confused:
I thought so, too. All of mine are roughly centered down the middle of the scale. I didn't know you could adjust it that close to the comp lock. Maybe it's been used hard and the holes in the clip are worn?