More affordable compression lock knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ncspyderfan

More affordable compression lock knives

Post by ncspyderfan »

I am a fan of a lot of compression lock designs but am not a steel snob or handle material obsessed knife owner. I use my Endura heavily and those materials have always worked.

I see a lot of reviews talking about using more expensive materials for knives like the Kapara and Amalgam but I would love the opposite. I would love to see more affordable versions of Spyderco's best knives. VG-10 class steel and regular G10 (especially in some interesting color like blue or the dark purple from the DLT exclusive PM2) would be great. As someone who uses their knives, more affordable and still perfectly useful versions of their best designs seems like a more desirable option.

There also would be a much larger customer base if the price was lower. I think a more affordable Amalgam/Kapara would sell like crazy since they are such great designs but at ~$200 will remain out of budget for many folks.

Am I alone in this or would others love to see the high build quality with more budget friendly materials? For example, would I be the only one that would really love a $130 - $140 Amalgam in G10 and VG-10?
vivi

Re: More affordable compression lock knives

Post by vivi »

Seems like a good idea to me. Maybe if they do a Para 2 lightweight they'll do one in BD1N?
:unicorn
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i think the yojimbo is one of the best bang for buck models with a compression lock. i also think it's a great example of the compression lock because of the thick blade stock. it just happens to also be a killer self defense and edc knife.

i don't think i could pay $130 for vg10. be careful what you wish for.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I'm in
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum! :)

"Spydercos best knives/designs" is a bit subjective I think. ;)
For me their best designs DO already come in "affordable materials:
- The Endura (Endela, Delica, Stretch) you mentioned: VG10, FRN, great designs with the for me most versatile and safest locktype
- Manix 2 LW in BD1N and FRCP with the for me second best locktype
- Now the Tenacious LW in S35VN with the most comfortable and natural to use locktype and amazing built quality.

I know, you said you're a comp.lock fan, and I guess you're right that there are not too many options in the Seki FRN price range. The Para 3 LW would come to mind.

But did you actually try models like the Kapara?
I had one and it sure IS a great design, but as one who also "uses his knives" I wished it had a more userfriendly linerlock (especially on this knife). Sold it again.

Perhaps you give other locktypes (CBBL, linerlock) a fair try if you haven't already?
Could be you like 'em and this would mean more affordable options for you...
-
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:16 pm
Seems like a good idea to me. Maybe if they do a Para 2 lightweight they'll do one in BD1N?

I am quite sure they will? Like they did with the Para 3?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ncspyderfan

Post by ncspyderfan »

A Para 2 Lightweight would be nice, but I was more thinking of just more affordable versions of existing knives using less expensive materials but the same construction. Basically just swapping the Carbon Fiber or Carbon Fiber Laminate for regular G10 and/or downgrading blade steel to something less expensive.

Things like
Shaman/Yojimbo2/LilNative in 154CM
Amalgam/Kapara/Ikuchi/Sliverax/Smock in regular G10 and VG-10 or N690.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Just came here to say that the Sage 5 LW is sooo good in terms of build quality and materials. And, you get S30V for the same price as some VG-10 and BD1N models!! I would put it up against ANY compression lock in terms of being smooth and pleasant to open and close.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm all for more affordable everything, but it's their premium lock so I wouldn't expect to see a Tenacious with a CL. I bet it would sell like crazy though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ncspyderfan

Post by ncspyderfan »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:30 pm
i think the yojimbo is one of the best bang for buck models with a compression lock. i also think it's a great example of the compression lock because of the thick blade stock. it just happens to also be a killer self defense and edc knife.

i don't think i could pay $130 for vg10. be careful what you wish for.
I could pay $130 for VG10 if the alternative is $200 for S30V on a knife that is otherwise the same but I may just like VG-10 more than some (really like my Endura). I like the Yojimbo and may end up with one at some point. I handled one at a store but when I went back it had already sold.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:40 pm
I'm all for more affordable everything, but it's their premium lock so I wouldn't expect to see a Tenacious with a CL. I bet it would sell like crazy though.

But would be downgraded knife for me.
Its linerlock is great !! I often think people don't give this locktype an unbiased try...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

MFlovejp wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:38 pm
Just came here to say that the Sage 5 LW is sooo good in terms of build quality and materials. And, you get S30V for the same price as some VG-10 and BD1N models!! I would put it up against ANY compression lock in terms of being smooth and pleasant to open and close.

Sage 5 LW is the perfect platform for a comp.lock for me! And also a perfect, thought through design.
ncspyderfan

Post by ncspyderfan »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:35 pm
Welcome to the forum! :)

"Spydercos best knives/designs" is a bit subjective I think. ;)
For me their best designs DO already come in "affordable materials:
- The Endura (Endela, Delica, Stretch) you mentioned: VG10, FRN, great designs with the for me most versatile and safest locktype
- Manix 2 LW in BD1N and FRCP with the for me second best locktype
- Now the Tenacious LW in S35VN with the most comfortable and natural to use locktype and amazing built quality.

I know, you said you're a comp.lock fan, and I guess you're right that there are not too many options in the Seki FRN price range. The Para 3 LW would come to mind.

But did you actually try models like the Kapara?
I had one and it sure IS a great design, but as one who also "uses his knives" I wished it had a more userfriendly linerlock (especially on this knife). Sold it again.

Perhaps you give other locktypes (CBBL, linerlock) a fair try if you haven't already?
Could be you like 'em and this would mean more affordable options for you...
-
I had a Manix 2 lightweight and liked it a lot but it was shredding my pockets. Maybe mine was just a bit rougher than average. I really like the Kapara and I just like Compression locks more than Liner Locks, maybe because my first really nice knife was a PM2. The main thing I would love to see are all the Taiwanese Compression lock knives come out in more affordable versions. Most of them are around $200 for the laminate G10/Carbon Fiber and S30V and I think just using G10 and VG10 or 154CM to drop the price a bit would be great.
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

As a fan of the compression lock, I would also like to see this happen so more people can try it out. Still my favorite liner/frame-based locking mechanism.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Sage 5 / LW, like the others said.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
ncspyderfan

Post by ncspyderfan »

I am aware of the Sage 5 LW and it looks nice but I just dont tend to like the lightweight knives as much as the regular models. I am hoping for some more affordable G10 versions. The Sage 5 LW is definitely one I will consider if I want to get a smaller knife.
The Amalgam, Smock and Kapara are the knives that I would really love to see get G10 and a more affordable blade steel. I may end up just selling something to get the regular Amalgam but would love a colored G10/VG10 version with a lower price point.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

The Sage 5 LW uses the Taichung FRN pattern / texture, which is less aggressive than the Golden FRN pattern / texture. It's an excellent knife with a better pivot than the standard Sage 5. I agree with the others here who are suggesting that you should try it out.

As for the "Amalgam/Kapara/Ikuchi/Sliverax/Smock in regular G10 and VG-10 or N690", those are all outside designer collabs. They're already the less expensive, mass produced versions of the original makers' custom versions of those knives. Those makers would have to agree to have their designs produced in the lower priced materials you want. I also think you're really splitting hairs. The Para 3 (G10 with S30V blade) is $147 MAP. The Para 3 LW (FRN with BD1N blade) is $105 MAP. I'm not sure that just switching from S30V to a conventional cast ingot steel would bring the cost down that much. It's certainly an interesting idea, though.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Machining costs money. Liner locks require very little machining.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:43 pm
Evil D wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:40 pm

But would be downgraded knife for me.
Its linerlock is great !! I often think people don't give this locktype an unbiased try...
the tenacious line have very good liner locks, but i still prefer compression locks. especially since the blade comes all the way to the handle and will definitely hit your thumb if you don't move it quickly enough. i've never cut myself with my resilience, but there's no way it's a better lock than the compression lock. it's not safer or stronger, even if it's well-executed.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Not to derail the thread, but has there been a sprint or exclusive of the Sage 5 LW?
So it goes.