Tenacious - clip position and blade centering

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mario21

Tenacious - clip position and blade centering

Post by mario21 »

Hello,

I have new Spyderco Tenacious Lightweight. As usual out of the box clip is placed on the pivot side (tip down carry), opening and closing is quite smooth and blade centering is also OK (not perfect but not bad). As I prefer tip up carry I wanted to change clip position on the knife. But as soon as I loosen the clip screws (without touching pivot screw) I noticed the blade is suddenly too off center and opening/closing is too tight. If I loosen the pivot the blade centering is even worse and there is already also horizontal blade play. So it looks that everything is affected by those clip screws. Did anybody of you also notice that? And ideally is there any solution so I could use the clip in tip up carry position without those problems? Of course I can live with tip down carry but if there is something what can I do I would try it.

Thank you.
Wartstein

Re: Tenacious - clip position and blade centering

Post by Wartstein »

Weird: My Tenacious LW (in S35VN) honestly has one of the best fit and finish of any knife I ever held.
I also changed the clip from tip down to -up, this did not affect anything (except the clip position... ;) )

Hope someone can help, unfortunately I can't :o
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jimmywilson

Post by jimmywilson »

Hey,
I've just done the exact same thing and encountered the exact same issue - changed clip position and now the blade is wildly off centre. I didn't even touch the pivot.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, mario21 and jimmywilson:
Welcome to our forum. I'm sorry to hear about the issue with your Tenacious. Please reach out to our Warranty & Repair Department. You can reach them via e-mal at customerservice@spyderco.com.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

As said above: My S35VN Tenacious LW has one of the best fit and finish of all knives I ever held. I also changed the clip position, no issues at all, still perfect centering.

Now I wonder: Does the S35VN model perhaps not only have "better" steel than the 8CR versions, but maybe also more time invested in quality control and the like?
To be clear: For me the S35VN Tenacious is one of the best bang for the buck knives Spyderco offers (at least the one I got), but still the price jump from the 8CR to the S35VN is perhaps not only due to the upgraded steel but also to on average better built quality? Since my Tenacious honestly feels like a completely flawless premium folder...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)