Forum sprint run?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
M Sea

Re: Forum sprint run?

Post by M Sea »

All for a Micarta Millie but Maxamet does poorly where I live so maybe a more corrosion resistant steel would be more inclusive. SPY 27?
[/quote]

I remember something about micarta not being strong enough handle material to be used in a linerless design. That would complicate things with a Millie.
[/quote]

Yes, thats a great point.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

M Sea wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:59 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:34 am
awa54 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:25 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:09 am
Military with Micarta show side, Titanium RIL, Maxamet...expensive but AWESOME!
I still don't get why anyone would want a large, hard use knife in Maxamet... YES, Maxamet is awesome as far as edge taking and holding, but it's got close to last place toughness. Give me 3V, heck even 5160 over Maxamet in a Millie!

The TiCarta option sounds pretty sweet though :D

(YMMV)
I chose Maxamet because I see a lot of people hoping for a Maxamet Millie...then again, I see hopes for everything around here haha! I definitely appreciate the edge retention though, as well as that beautiful finish on the blade.

I wouldn't be opposed to pretty much any steel though if it were thrown into this configuration :cool:
All for a Micarta Millie but Maxamet does poorly where I live so maybe a more corrosion resistant steel would be more inclusive. SPY 27?
Agreed.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

kobold wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:41 am
M Sea wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
awa54 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:25 pm

I still don't get why anyone would want a large, hard use knife in Maxamet... YES, Maxamet is awesome as far as edge taking and holding, but it's got close to last place toughness. Give me 3V, heck even 5160 over Maxamet in a Millie!

The TiCarta option sounds pretty sweet though :D

(YMMV)
I chose Maxamet because I see a lot of people hoping for a Maxamet Millie...then again, I see hopes for everything around here haha! I definitely appreciate the edge retention though, as well as that beautiful finish on the blade.

I wouldn't be opposed to pretty much any steel though if it were thrown into this configuration :cool:

I remember something about micarta not being strong enough handle material to be used in a linerless design. That would complicate things with a Millie.
I am not an expert, but there was a half titanium millie done before. A micarta-Titanium AKA Mi-Ti should work.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Fireman wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:32 am
kobold wrote:
M Sea wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

I am not an expert, but there was a half titanium millie done before. A micarta-Titanium AKA Mi-Ti should work.

I think that was carbon fiber, not micarta. CF can take it.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Magna-carta Endela
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:16 pm
Magna-carta Endela
And a drop point Stretch 2 in that config!
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

kobold wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:06 pm
Fireman wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:32 am
kobold wrote:
M Sea wrote:

I think that was carbon fiber, not micarta. CF can take it.
Thanks for the info.
I would love a double sided titanium drop point millie or Shaman with 10v or Magna Cut.
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Marble carbon fiber Millie with CPM S125V or M398 steel :)
rashman

Post by rashman »

dreaming…. i’d like a s90v military with olive green or brown g10
current fav’s: K390 SS Stretch, PM2 CruWear Mircata, P.I.T.S., Subway Bowie
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

To save everyone time, I have created the form letter for all Forum Knife & Sprint requests:

What I want is <fill in knife model> with <fill in trendy steel> and it should have <fill in handle material>. Make enough so that the <fill in expletive> <fill in expletive> scalpers don't get them all!

:D
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
rashman

Post by rashman »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:41 am
To save everyone time, I have created the form letter for all Forum Knife & Sprint requests:

What I want is <fill in knife model> with <fill in trendy steel> and it should have <fill in handle material>. Make enough so that the <fill in expletive> <fill in expletive> scalpers don't get them all!

:D
hahahaha! luv those scalper / ebay flippers…. grumble, grumble…. par for the course……
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

The idea is that if we borg together and pre pay, we won’t have any bot/scalper issues if we can get enough to agree on a forum sprint run. Seems the millie is taking the lead. If successful, maybe there could be other forum sprint runs.
rashman

Post by rashman »

Fireman wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:31 am
The idea is that if we borg together and pre pay, we won’t have any bot/scalper issues if we can get enough to agree on a forum sprint run. Seems the millie is taking the lead. If successful, maybe there could be other forum sprint runs.
i’m in
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

How does Spyderco feel about a pre paid sprint run?
kobold

Post by kobold »

Could the CPM 15V Military be the forum sprint run?
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

kobold wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 11:10 am
Could the CPM 15V Military be the forum sprint run?
I would love a 15V drop point millie
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Honestly I’m sure I’d be on board for whatever is decided upon, but we probably need to narrow options and create a poll if this is simmering we actually want to see happen.
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

samdasnake wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 12:43 pm
Honestly I’m sure I’d be on board for whatever is decided upon, but we probably need to narrow options and create a poll if this is simmering we actually want to see happen.
Already been done like 4 times in the last 6 months. No consensus, nor any understanding of the reality that Golden is backed up with a years-long queue. Especially with ambitious requests like Vanax-this and titanium-that and massive design changes. The Forum knife has never been something like that and probably never will be. It's not a profitable venture for Spyderco, just a token of appreciation, so requesting expensive materials, engineering time, and new tooling is just ridiculous.

Plus, you have to realize that these threads get at the most 30-50 respondents. The poll results would not be indicative at all of whether Spyderco would be able to sell 1000 units. Again, if they do it as a gesture of gratitude, it will be a flagship model with a new scale color and a steel they have already used.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

samdasnake wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 12:43 pm

OP followed your advice and opened a poll. A minute ago, there were 27 responses and guess .... 20 different configurations.I keep wondering why this question is asked every so often when everyone knows how the conversation is going to unfold :D
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Danke

Post by Danke »

The forum knife will be a set of 20 unique knives.