What spyderco steel is super rusty?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
S-3 ranch

What spyderco steel is super rusty?

Post by S-3 ranch »

I constantly see people on here asking about what knife to buy to run, or hike, bike , work and worry about sweating, so I replied on a question post
“” Why is everyone always worried about sweating on a stainless steel knife, when I stack hay in the summer it’s 100+* and I can wring my shirt out , and some days I am offshore fishing covered in salt water spray, and I don’t have rust on my knives, even my case trapper HC steel doesn’t get rusty
Please list the spyderco steels that get so rusty, so I can definitely scratch it off a to buy list “”
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Evil D

Re: What spyderco steel is super rusty?

Post by Evil D »

It just depends on the person. People's body sweat is different. I've actually had S90V spot rust in my pocket. M4 rusted even after spraying it down with Tuf-Glide. I work outside in all seasons, it's nice to have a steel I don't have to worry about. I do enjoy my non stainless, I'd buy a lot of knives of more were offered in 52100, but for a WORK knife it's just a different situation than what most consider an EDC.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i've seen small spots on a couple of spydercos. i had some spots develop on a 8cr13mov blade that my friend borrowed and neglected over a week. it cleaned off easily. i've had spots form on my xhp blade. it cleaned off easily. i cleaned up a manix xl for a friend that forgot to remove it before going into the ocean and then left it sitting to rust for a couple weeks. that one was not quite as easy, but i was really surprised by the s30v and the liners were the real problem. i've also had some spots on my lc200n native, but it cleaned easily and i've never worried about it.

all that said, the salts still appeal to me. i love h1 with serrations and lc200n is pretty great too, especially for a plain edge.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:53 pm
It just depends on the person. People's body sweat is different. I've actually had S90V spot rust in my pocket. M4 rusted even after spraying it down with Tuf-Glide. I work outside in all seasons, it's nice to have a steel I don't have to worry about. I do enjoy my non stainless, I'd buy a lot of knives of more were offered in 52100, but for a WORK knife it's just a different situation than what most consider an EDC.
I am baffled, as I live in a salt water environment and work and sweating profusely year round
So want to avoid any steel that is that terrible it can’t even be a edc especially when it’s expensive
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Super Blue is very prone to corrosion.

I've had CPM M4 and Maxamet spot rust on me after some sweaty pocket carrying. Nothing bad at all, though.

I can't recall ever having a stainless steel rust on me.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

I've had 8cr13mov and D2 rust/spot from normal carry. Hunting wise, I've had D2 and O1 spot up from being covered in blood and goo short term. I've also had one VG-10 blade discolor in a spot, but I'm not sure what from, probably food. I don't really mess much with the stain-more steels for most uses, so not much exposure to how stuff like K390, M-4, Rex 45, etc does .... Although no issues with Maxamet so far.
vivi

Post by vivi »

S-3 ranch wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:49 pm
I constantly see people on here asking about what knife to buy to run, or hike, bike , work and worry about sweating, so I replied on a question post
“” Why is everyone always worried about sweating on a stainless steel knife, when I stack hay in the summer it’s 100+* and I can wring my shirt out , and some days I am offshore fishing covered in salt water spray, and I don’t have rust on my knives, even my case trapper HC steel doesn’t get rusty
Please list the spyderco steels that get so rusty, so I can definitely scratch it off a to buy list “”
viewtopic.php?p=1360015

Winter carry.

I can spot VG10 and S30V in a single bike ride with them clipped to my clothes instead of in my bike bag where they usually go.
:unicorn
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I have said this before but most people dont need a salt series.

I live in a beach town and work on the beach. Can you believe I can walk around with a carbon steel and it doesnt turn into a rusted piece of metal within an hour. Gasp.

Most stainless can handle sweat and getting rained on just fine. Some people do seem to sweat acid but you must not be one of them.

Now if you are actually getting your knives wet with saltwater constantly, thats where a salt series knife shines.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I've had a lot of rust on one of my M4 blades. Normally I have no problem with them but one day I had the Manix2 clipped in my pocket while I was working in the yard, and later that day the blade was covered in light rust. It cleaned off very easily. M4 and Rex45 are still some of my favorite steels and I carry them frequently with no problems.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I've replied to your post in that other thread already.

Here again: I did not have corrosionproblems with any Spyderco steel I tried (among those REX 45, HAP40, XHP...). And I carry my knives iwb on sweaty runs, sometimes for days in wet pockets or packs in the outdoors, I cut fruit, hot and cold meat, wet wood, all kinds of stuff all the time without always whiping off the blade immediately quite often.
No problems. Just slight patina on REX45 and HAP40.
I would not need H1 / LC200N at all concerning their corrosionresistant properties.

Only steel that did rust on me so far: O1 (Not a Spyderco). But even there: Not a problem functionwise, I even like the looks.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Holland

Post by Holland »

I've never had a problem with any non-stainless steel (superblue, vToku2, hap40, k390, m4, etc.).

But I live in Calgary and it's extremely dry here
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
kobold

Post by kobold »

I am all surrounded by cattail and cane, but the only rust I ever had was on unused 1075 blades (Condor and Mora) and whatever the Opinel carbon is. Had the smallest spot on a Bark River 3V once. Nothing on Maxamet, Rex45 or M4.

I think finish is a big factor. Mirror polish will resist rust much better. Coat it with some wax or oil and it's good to go.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

52100 is likely the hottest steel in terms of reactivity that Spyderco uses. It's so good I could eat it.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

All of my carbon steel tools will start to rust in weeks just sitting clean in my garage. Whatever the OP is using on his blades to protect them is close to magic if they can shrug off warm salty water. I'm an hour from the closest sea coast so the air is not salty here.

I have pitted M4 with pocket carry in the summer, which is why a no longer carry M4 daily. Oddly my 1095 knives have been doing fine so far. The 1095 knives do have a mirror finish on them.

I use H1 & LC200N in yard because I like tools that are almost 100% maintenance free, out side of edge touch ups. Having said that, any stainless would likely be good enough. My Aus8 Cold Steel blades sure have held up doing the same work.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:03 am
I'm an hour from the closest sea coast so the air is not salty here.
I wouldn't assume that. High salinity air can move quite far inland. If you're in Florida, you have salt air.

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Accutron wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:32 am
JRinFL wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:03 am
I'm an hour from the closest sea coast so the air is not salty here.
I wouldn't assume that. High salinity air can move quite far inland. If you're in Florida, you have salt air.

True. I guess I meant very much less salty than the OP which I take to be on the Gulf itself.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

So far, M4 is the worst for corrosion resistance for me.

Gonna do some summer carry of Rex and see how it goes. Summer pockets have made me spot s30v before.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

52100 and M4 for me. Both will rust pretty quick for me if not cared for properly. I've been carrying my K390 Endela and Endura for a few months now and both barely even have any patina let alone rust.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

M4 and Maxamet have both rusted/pitted down here in the Florida Keys. They just can’t take it. Several co-workers/friends down here have had the same problems with those 2 steels. Surprisingly, D2 and 1095 have done fine. Most stainless steels, s30v and comparable have done fine with an occasional wipe down/light oil.

H1 and LC200N, never a problem at all. Love them.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

I've never had rust issues with the ones I'd expect, namely my non-stainless tool steels. ZDP-189, K390, and REX-45 have all been just fine, though I do wipe them down after using for food prep or cleaning fish/game (well, I've only used the ZDP Delica for that, excellent lightweight small game knife.) The K390 does carry a patina pretty easily compared to the other two, which is just fine with me. Corrosion concerns seem to vary widely based on where somebody lives and whether they are carrying their knives next to their skin. Don't assume that because it is not a problem for some that it must not be a concern for others. How cool is it that we get to sample and compare so many different steels with this company?
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N