Pitch for a Spyderco neck knife and/or small skeletonized fixed blades

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you be interested in a mini mule or other small skeletonized fixed blade in various steels?

Oh yeah
90%
Oh naw
10%

Total votes: 40

Evil D

Pitch for a Spyderco neck knife and/or small skeletonized fixed blades

Post by Evil D »

Izulas have a cult following for being small bomb proof fixed blades. Why hasn't Spyderco stepped up to compete? Who else thinks Spyderco could sell a similar knife in various steels and make a killing?

Lil Mule?

I have a BK14 and love it. I have a Street Beat and love it significantly more. I guess maybe the Enuff line was a feeler project to see how well this would work? I liked the Salt version for being basically indestructible, but it came in a bit too thick for my liking and I think a FFG LC200N version would sell much better.

Mules already sell out like crazy. Just make a smaller Izula size version and offer it up in all the same steels and sit back and watch the cash flow in.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Re: Pitch for a Spyderco neck knife and/or small skeletonized fixed blades

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The Bradford Guardian 3 has vaulted up to one of my favorite knives (have another on the way in the mail) I'd love for my favorite brand to come up with something similar, that also allows for comfortable scout carry. Small fixed blades are pretty freakin awesome!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I wonder if the Subway Bowie will scratch that itch?

Do we know what the handle will be yet?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

The upcoming Swick models will kind of fill this role. They might be a little bigger than some would want for a neck knife though.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

A light weight, compact, backpacking fixed blade. Yes, I’ll be interested.
But I’m not much into skeletonized knives, so I’ll rather take a small weight punishment and have the handle wrapped in a thin layer of FRN.
Also not much into neck carry, so a way to belt carry would hopefully be an option.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

I have never handled an ARK, but I’m guessing it’s at least pretty similar to what you’re looking for? Lightweight, compact, rust-proof, thin slicey blade that comes in SE. Folks who have them seem to love them.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Now please folks I'm not at all trying to kill anyone's enthusiasm because GOD knows a lot of my ideas went over like a very heavy lead balloon :o Because I know my buddy Evil D has the greatest of intentions :cool: >> but isn't the SWICK pretty much a neck knife in the Spyderco line up already?????

If I were to ever carry or utilize a neck knife the Swick at this time would be my first choice right out of the gate. Oh Sure I'm always up for improvements and new ideas>> but as of now a nicely modified Swick model would be around my neck if I ever choose to carry such a thing. Interesting thread none the less however ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MFlovejp wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:37 pm
I have never handled an ARK, but I’m guessing it’s at least pretty similar to what you’re looking for? Lightweight, compact, rust-proof, thin slicey blade that comes in SE. Folks who have them seem to love them.

It is but it's also very light use, I couldn't see someone doing much camping with such a small thin knife. Something along the same lines but a bit beefier would be awesome.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:47 pm
Now please folks I'm not at all trying to kill anyone's enthusiasm because GOD knows a lot of my ideas went over like a very heavy lead balloon :o Because I know my buddy Evil D has the greatest of intentions :cool: >> but isn't the SWICK pretty much a neck knife in the Spyderco line up already?????

If I were to ever carry or utilize a neck knife the Swick at this time would be my first choice right out of the gate. Oh Sure I'm always up for improvements and new ideas>> but as of now a nicely modified Swick model would be around my neck if I ever choose to carry such a thing. Interesting thread none the less however ;)

It's a big large in the handle for what I'd want as a neck knife and a bit less practical in ergonomics for camping.
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The Swick is close, but you have to love the hole in the handle and not everyone does. The Subway Bowie might be the ticket, hopefully it comes in two versions, one with scales and one without.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

Actually I am looking for a small (but not too small - 3-3 1/2in cutting edge) fixed blade to edc. Knife regulations here make it unattractive to carry a locking folder.
So I'm in for anything that fits in.
PaperKnife

Post by PaperKnife »

MFlovejp wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:37 pm
...If only it didn’t come with a glass fiber (FRN?) sheath; it dulls the edge instantly. Basic kydex-type plastic or Boltaron (that Spyderco currently uses) would have been way better.

Owned the ARK temporarily, but couldn’t keep it knowing that one or two passes of the edge across the sheath would dull the edge.

If they use Boltaron in any future models, you’ve got my attention.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Granoo Fink wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:55 pm
Actually I am looking for a small (but not too small - 3-3 1/2in cutting edge) fixed blade to edc. Knife regulations here make it unattractive to carry a locking folder.
I can't recommend this little beast enough! Right in the size range you're talking, easily concealed as well. There are other blade style/steel options available as well.

-Rick
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:03 pm
Granoo Fink wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:55 pm
I can't recommend this little beast enough! Right in the size range you're talking, easily concealed as well. There are other blade style/steel options available as well.

Thanks for your help :) It looks great.
I'm lurking around this one for a while now, but didn't pull the trigger yet.
The wharnie in V4E is 50€ more than the drop point in M390. And I don't know if I want M390, so the release of the 3V version distracted me and I will wait for the answer from a local (EU) dealer, if they will get this version nearby.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i think the enuff falls in the izula category. the handle is longer, but the blade is similar on the clip point. they're actually even thicker than the izula though.

i also think the swick might sit nicely in this range. i've been waiting for them to drop with great anticipation.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

How about a collaboration with Perrin and do a Wharncliffe version the Le Bowie!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Dazen wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:24 pm
How about a collaboration with Perrin and do a Wharncliffe version the Le Bowie!
Looks like this already happened:

https://www.staysafemedia.com/fred-perr ... usion.html
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I just drilled holes for a G clip on my ARK sheath. This is a pretty nice setup. I could see myself carrying similarly sized knives here up to about Izula sized, maybe even a tad bigger if they're skeletonized.

~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:41 pm
I just drilled holes for a G clip on my ARK sheath. This is a pretty nice setup. I could see myself carrying similarly sized knives here up to about Izula sized, maybe even a tad bigger if they're skeletonized.

I've honestly never carried a knife like that before, until I got this Bradford. Had always been off the belt to the side hanging vertically, and even that is pretty rare for me.

It's seriously so convenient and easy to hide if need be in scout carry. Doesn't get in the way of buckling up while driving my truck or equipment at work. I've been loving it these past few weeks I've had it.

-Rick
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Voted yes, just because the world needs more Spyderedged fixed blades :)

I always assumed the Enuff was fairly similar in size to the Izula. Has anyone removed the scales to try it as a skeletonized handle? They seem stout for small fixed blades, possibly even more robust than the Izula, but I've never handled an Enuff.

The ARK has been around my neck everyday since getting it last summer. It's a great knife for small EDC uses (and supposing as a LDK defensive option per it's design intent?). The blade stock is a bit thin for much use on hard wood, though. I'd be concerned about eventually bending/deforming the edge, though I haven't tested it yet -- now I'm curious how much hard use it can take.

As much as I've liked the ARK, the Swick will likely replace it as my EDC neck knife as it has more of what I want -- a longer LC200N wharncliffe blade, significant negative blade angle, finger hole, and more hand filling handle.