When the virtually inevitable Paramilitary 2 LW drops...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JonLeBlanc

When the virtually inevitable Paramilitary 2 LW drops...

Post by JonLeBlanc »

It's going to hit with the force of a nuclear weapon lol. There are lots of possibilities for it; I'd like to see a 52100 Slate Gray FRN and a Salt Yellow FRN. What about you guys?

Smurf blue M390?
an REC OD PVD?
something with Cru-Wear? (naturally)

I'm also interested in the potential for a slimmer PM2 platform. I find nothing wrong with the standard G-10, but I like the slim option that FRN handles provide. Incidentally, I'm not a fan of wire clips, but that's just me; would be nice if there were alternatives though.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
PStone

Re: When the virtually inevitable Paramilitary 2 LW drops...

Post by PStone »

Would love to see Gray 52100. But more importantly I hope that it will done with just a lock tab insert like the Para3 LW, and not built like the upcoming Micarta version with full liners. Even though I am totally onboard with the full liners of that version. If that makes sense. :confused: :spyder:
Matus

Post by Matus »

Well, unless that point in time is very far into the future, I would expect either Spy27 in blue, or S45VN in black. Unless of course it will be the BD1N.

I hope it will not be slimmer, but rather simply more ergonomic than the G10 (like the Para 3 LW is). I however can not really imagine that would be of the same construction as Para 3 LW - that is without steel liners and just one washer. Knife of this size would just feel too flimsy that way IMO. But I am up for a surprise.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I think they need to figure out the centering issue before going forward with a pm2 lightweight.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Looking forward to more contoured handles like the Para 3 LW and not the boxy edges like the Manix LW and the Native LW...and yes, please fix the centering issue :cool:
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Matus

Post by Matus »

Good point with the centering. On a longer blade it could quickly become more than just an aesthetic flaw.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Hmm... I think Maxamet would be the best grey. Maybe 52100 could be a darker grey, like almost a charcoal?

I think a bright yellow Salt is certainly in order, but perhaps if it's LC200N, lime green would be more fitting? I guess they did the Native 5 salt in yellow though.

I'd be happiest with K390 and Ranger Green (or Olive Green), but anything reasonably tough and wear resistant will make me happy.

I agree that I hope the PM2 LW, should we ever bye graced with such a knife, will be as lightweight as possible, and built like the Para 3 LW with just a lock bar insert rather than full liners.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:01 am
I think they need to figure out the centering issue before going forward with a pm2 lightweight.
The two Para 3 lightweights I used to own did have off center blades. I couldn't fix them.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:50 pm
VooDooChild wrote:
The two Para 3 lightweights I used to own did have off center blades. I couldn't fix them.

And was this a problem, practically speaking? ;)
(No offense, I know perhaps the majority here cares about perfect centering, while I just don´t. Both fine!)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I like lightweights and I like the PM2 (very conclusive and also iconic design!) - though the latter probably still not enough to get a PM2 LW at this point.
That being said: Knowing how the BD1N in my Manix 2 LW performs, I´d be perfectly happy with a "base" BD1N PM 2 LW.
This is a great, very userfriendly steel. Sharpens up easier to a (for my standards) scary sharp edge than even VG10.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:36 am
Bdubs808 wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:

(No offense, I know perhaps the majority here cares about perfect centering, while I just don´t. Both fine!)
Perfect centering is great, though not a must. But the Para 3s were just too off. Almost rubbing the inside of the handle.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:09 am
Wartstein wrote:
Bdubs808 wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:

Perfect centering is great, though not a must. But the Para 3s were just too off. Almost rubbing the inside of the handle.
As soon as the blade actually does rub the inside of the handle: Yes, would be a problem for me too..

/ Not a Para 3 guy myself, but isn´t the reason for the Para 3 LW off centering that it has only one washer or something like this?!
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

If Spyderco, Sal or Eric is reading this thread : Please, go for a FRN version like the chaparral and not a LW version. Keep the metal liners.

I had three different Para 3 LW and while they're amazing, the action was inconsistant. The reason is : without liners or even partial liners on both side, it's easy to pinch the scales and prevent a smooth action. To detonate the Spydiehole, you kind of have to pinch the knife a little.

Just my 2cent. I've been waiting for a FRN Para 2 as soon as the beautiful chapparal FRN hit the shelves. I'm crossing my finger for Spyderco to go with liners, or at least partial liners on both side ala Benchmade bugout. :spyder:
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Wartstein wrote:
Bdubs808 wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:

I've got all the sprints and exclusives so far. I'm in love with this platform so much that I hope Spyderco can CQI the centering issue. All of them have severe off centering. It becomes a problem sometimes when opening the knife, most often than not, I have to remember not to squeeze the handle too much, which is tricky sometimes because the FRN handle has no jimping to speak of.

8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Chapp wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:47 am
If Spyderco, Sal or Eric is reading this thread : Please, go for a FRN version like the chaparral and not a LW version. Keep the metal liners.

I had three different Para 3 LW and while they're amazing, the action was inconsistant. The reason is : without liners or even partial liners on both side, it's easy to pinch the scales and prevent a smooth action. To detonate the Spydiehole, you kind of have to pinch the knife a little.

Just my 2cent. I've been waiting for a FRN Para 2 as soon as the beautiful chapparal FRN hit the shelves. I'm crossing my finger for Spyderco to go with liners, or at least partial liners on both side ala Benchmade bugout. :spyder:
^ Definitely this, I realize liners are one less thing to manufacture and therefore contribute to cost, but I much prefer liners and FRN to just structural FRN, especially as the handle and blade get bigger.
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Gtscotty wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:53 am
Chapp wrote:

^ Definitely this, I realize liners are one less thing to manufacture and therefore contribute to cost, but I much prefer liners and FRN to just structural FRN, especially as the handle and blade get bigger.

I really hope they do not have liners on the PM2 LW. One reason I prefer the Para 3 LW so much to the G10 version is the weight. They save a full ounce in weight between the two, but with full liners it probably would be half that. It's called lightweight for a reason, I'm all for getting it as light as possible :)
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Wright.88 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:13 pm
Gtscotty wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:53 am
Chapp wrote:

I really hope they do not have liners on the PM2 LW. One reason I prefer the Para 3 LW so much to the G10 version is the weight. They save a full ounce in weight between the two, but with full liners it probably would be half that. It's called lightweight for a reason, I'm all for getting it as light as possible :)
I hear you, but in my opinion the P3 lightweights just aren't as smooth as G10 or FRN with liners. I'll trade a half an oz for a bit more rigidity and at least two PB washers to slick things up.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Hmm, the P3 LW in BD1N I got recently started so stiff I could barely flick it open. Now a few days later it basically drops shut. Super smooth, In very impressed. Though I wonder how mich of that is thanks to the awesome blade finish. A gem for the money, pity about the black handle.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

My Para 3 LW isn't nearly as smooth as my G-10 models, but then again I don't expect it to be. The break in period was longer, but worth it. Now, the LW sees a lot more pocket time than the other two.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:21 am
It's going to hit with the force of a nuclear weapon lol. There are lots of possibilities for it; I'd like to see a 52100 Slate Gray FRN and a Salt Yellow FRN.
Spyderco makes a lot of popular knives but the PM2 is pure magic in the sales department. I've always said that Spyderco should offer their most popular models in production versions with standard steel, high performance steel such as S110V, high performance carbon steel such as Cruwear, Rex45 or K390, and a salt version.

I have plenty of PM2 variations, but I would buy a LW just because.