KnifeJoker translucent manix2 lw

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
olywa

Re: KnifeJoker translucent manix2 lw

Post by olywa »

Sand-blasted Lynch clip on the way. This will be my first Lynch wire clip replacement, and I'm looking forward to it.
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

Went with a deeper carry wire clip on mine. Was originally planning to strip the coating with my dremel but think I’ve decided I like the black. It matches the pads on the lock.
4CC4CC88-D063-49EA-9681-BF91CF2C0185.jpeg
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

Past Spyderco: Endura zdp; Manix 2 LW s110v; Paramilitary 2 s30v
z1r

Post by z1r »

Lucabrasi wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:11 pm
Went with a deeper carry wire clip on mine. Was originally planning to strip the coating with my dremel but think I’ve decided I like the black. It matches the pads on the lock. 4CC4CC88-D063-49EA-9681-BF91CF2C0185.jpeg
Nice. I like it.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Lucabrasi wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:11 pm
Went with a deeper carry wire clip on mine. Was originally planning to strip the coating with my dremel but think I’ve decided I like the black. It matches the pads on the lock. 4CC4CC88-D063-49EA-9681-BF91CF2C0185.jpeg

Nice clip. Where did you get it?
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

I read elsewhere the clip off a Milwaukee fastback compact utility knife fits well and lands on the untextured pad. Picked one up for $8, could use the extra utility knife anyway.

Fits well and fits the hand well. It is stiffer than the factory clip, a little harder to get in pocket at this point, but rides deep and feels very secure.
Current Spyderco: Native 5 LW s35vn; Delica zdp; Caly 3.5 zdp/CF; Chapparel FRN cts xhp; Southard 204p; Kapara s30v; Ikuchi s30v; Spydiechef lc200n, Waterway Lc200n; Manix 2 LW 20cv

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Lucabrasi wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 6:30 am
I read elsewhere the clip off a Milwaukee fastback compact utility knife fits well and lands on the untextured pad. Picked one up for $8, could use the extra utility knife anyway.

Fits well and fits the hand well. It is stiffer than the factory clip, a little harder to get in pocket at this point, but rides deep and feels very secure.
I just did this mod, thank you!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Lucabrasi wrote:

Many thanks for the info! I have to find a store selling Milwaukee products here.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

My knife came in today. I was worried a bit based on some reports here, but luckily it flicks opens perfectly, drops shut, is centered, and has no blade play.

This is a nice lightweight knife. Thanks Knife Joker for doing this for us!!!
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 6:27 pm
Lucabrasi wrote:

I just did this mod, thank you!
You’re welcome. I don’t understand the non deep carry wire clip, this feels like an excellent remedy.

I am really surprised by how much this knife is connecting with me. I didn’t have a great experience with my s110v model when I had it. It’s action was far too tight and back then I didn’t ever mess with actions. And I despised s110v as I didn’t like sharpening on diamond plates.

This is free dropping fun while being rock solid. And just fits my hand better than I remember.
I have since gathered mostly slim handled knives that are great in pocket. Forgot how nice great in hand is.

z1r

Post by z1r »

Got mine today and while I can flick it open and closed, it does take a good bit more effort than my Rex45 G10 version. Not drop shutty but centered. I do like the the difference in weight compared to the Rex45 but wish it were easier to operate.

There is no blade play, and I'm excited about trying out the the 20CV. It was VERY sharp as delivered and rivals my ZDP Delica. Definitely think I will look for a deep carry clip.

All in all, I think it's a tremendous value for not much more than the base model.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Got it! Oh man she’s gorgeous. That semi-translucent teal frcp fits right in with my other knives, and my clear case ds lite :D

Not as drop shut-y as my last Manix lw, but smooth enough. Been playing with it the last few hours while I watch Star Trek and it’s smoothed out tremendously, I expect with a little carry and regular lube it’ll drop free soon. Came waaaaay sharp too, I almost don’t want to do my usual re-profile.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I’ve also just noticed that it’s my second largest folder (just barely smaller than the Siren, and much wider), but it’s my lightest! By a lot! Perfect for lighter weight clothes, it’ll get a lot of use out on vacation along side my Waterway and Siren in a few months here.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 12:01 am
I’ve also just noticed that it’s my second largest folder (just barely smaller than the Siren, and much wider), but it’s my lightest! By a lot! Perfect for lighter weight clothes, it’ll get a lot of use out on vacation along side my Waterway and Siren in a few months here.

If size to weight ratio is something you value: Have a look at the new ffg Pac Salt: 2.6 oz, 3.8 blade, 3.4 cutting edge...(or the Salt 2 ffg: 2.0 oz and not too much less edge than the Manix) - sure, both are very different knives to the Manix!

But yes, the Manix 2 LW IS really light for what you get and actually the wide footprint combined with the light weight makes it even more stable / less "floppy" in the pocket! :) Something I really like.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Lucabrasi wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:21 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Lucabrasi wrote:
You’re welcome. I don’t understand the non deep carry wire clip, this feels like an excellent remedy.

I am really surprised by how much this knife is connecting with me. I didn’t have a great experience with my s110v model when I had it. It’s action was far too tight and back then I didn’t ever mess with actions. And I despised s110v as I didn’t like sharpening on diamond plates.

This is free dropping fun while being rock solid. And just fits my hand better than I remember.
I have since gathered mostly slim handled knives that are great in pocket. Forgot how nice great in hand is.

I think the majority still prefers NON deep carry (I do so VERY strongly) - even on this forum, see this poll for example viewtopic.php?t=81471 - more votes for NON deep carry, despite probably more of the DEEP carry folks will have participated, since such polls are a chance to get what they want, while NON deep carry folks already have it.
[Edit: I read the results of the poll incorrectly: Actually in this poll deep carry gets more votes than non deep carry, so I was wrong!]

Not bashing deep carry here, though for me personally it has only disadvantages. I just think in fact it is not seen as an improvement by a majority, and so I am glad that Spyderco sticks with non deep carry on most models.
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri May 14, 2021 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Lucabrasi

Post by Lucabrasi »

Sure. I guess my thinking had been that part of the purpose of the wire clip is to be discreet. It seems this is the only non deep carry wire clip Spyderco employs. May as well put a regular clip on, where there are more regular avenues to get replacements on the secondary market. My move here has worked out fine, but had to dig to find it.

I strongly wish the opposite, and which that just about every knife came with a deep carry clip. It has unfortunately made it so I have to factor in about thirty dollars I’m excess of nearly all Spyderco prices. But if I had my way it seems you’d have the same issue I currently have. Cant please everyone.

z1r

Post by z1r »

123 grams vs 82 definitely makes the LW more of an EDC for me.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 8:39 am
Lucabrasi wrote:
JRinFL wrote:
Lucabrasi wrote:

I think the majority still prefers NON deep carry (I do so VERY strongly) - even on this forum, see this poll for example viewtopic.php?t=81471 - more votes for NON deep carry, despite probably more of the DEEP carry folks will have participated, since such polls are a chance to get what they want, while NON deep carry folks already have it.

Not bashing deep carry here, though for me personally it has only disadvantages. I just think in fact it is not seen as an improvement by a majority, and so I am glad that Spyderco sticks with non deep carry on most models.
You and I must not be looking at the same poll data. 47% prefer deep carry versus 37% against.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Wartstein wrote:
Lucabrasi wrote:
JRinFL wrote:
Lucabrasi wrote:

You and I must not be looking at the same poll data. 47% prefer deep carry versus 37% against.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Rinzler wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 10:15 am
Wartstein wrote:
Lucabrasi wrote:
JRinFL wrote:

You are right,my bad and my apologies! I'll edit my post by adding that I read the poll wrong.
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Still available. Crazy
MRj “Weak things break!”