Sal - What's next for the Military?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Sal - What's next for the Military?

Post by Evil D »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:07 am
Evil D wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:51 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:54 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:09 am

This really sums it up:

The other thread asking for a Military with a different handle shape....well there it is. Military edge length minus the choil and with as little handle as necessary.
Thanks! That picture really shows how much more grip area the Caribbean has. That is something to really think about. Like you and Vivi, I have small dainty hands. :p :D

How is the detent?

It is unfortunately on the weak side. Supposedly you can fix this with a tiny burr bit by opening up the detent hole a wee bit so the ball seats deeper, but it doesn't really bother me on a non flipper so I haven't tried. I also carry it with the spine against the outside edge of my pocket so no concerns about it opening in my pocket.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:26 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

This really sums it up:

The other thread asking for a Military with a different handle shape....well there it is. Military edge length minus the choil and with as little handle as necessary.
Thanks! That picture really shows how much more grip area the Caribbean has. That is something to really think about. Like you and Vivi, I have small dainty hands. :p :D

How is the detent?

It is unfortunately on the weak side. Supposedly you can fix this with a tiny burr bit by opening up the detent hole a wee bit so the ball seats deeper, but it doesn't really bother me on a non flipper so I haven't tried. I also carry it with the spine against the outside edge of my pocket so no concerns about it opening in my pocket.
Knives can still open in the pocket carried that way. I have a scar on my right hand from carrying a knife the same way.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

vivi wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:28 am
Evil D wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:26 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Evil D wrote:

This really sums it up:

How is the detent?

Knives can still open in the pocket carried that way. I have a scar on my right hand from carrying a knife the same way.

That's what I've heard but so far so good. My job has me crawling on the ground a lot and I haven't had an issue with it. The closest I came was my Autonomy opening, but I also had a beard comb in the pocket with it and that was hard enough to press the fire button, and I did remove the safety lock so it's kinda my fault all around. It's probably a little ignorant of me but I'll wait until it happens to me. Until then this is pretty much the best overall knife for me. I would be 100% in favor of a back lock Caribbean if they managed to not change anything else but the lock.
~David
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

I find the detent on the Caribbean CQI black screws to be equal to a para 3 detent.

The Caribbean sits easier in the pocket.

I like both.

Both have equally good handles for dispatching cardboard.
Attachments
DA55F216-7358-471D-8DDB-9F5629969294.jpeg
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

For version '2', Tip up with a CBBL
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

Hello, all.

This is my first post here. Been a guest for a long time. I decided to finally sign up so I could join in on this thread. I want to just briefly thank you folks for all of the knowledge and reviews you share on this forum as well as keeping us informed about upcoming exclusives.

The Military is my favorite Spyderco. I agree with what others have said about how it deserves more steel options as regular production. To me, the knife is extremely comfortable, with or without gloves. I work outside everyday and tend to be pretty hard on my knives. Never had an issue with a Military. The one I have on me now is the Knifeworks exclusive with the dark green scales and CTS 204P blade steel. While I don’t really have anything against S30V, this version is a nice upgrade in my opinion. I have been carrying a secondary Spyderco in Maxamet lately and I have really been enjoying it. I would be very happy if more steels like Maxamet, K390, 10V, 4V, etc became available in a Military.
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
Frizank9009

Post by Frizank9009 »

Is a bigger blade an option? Police 4 made me wish my military had a bigger blade.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:45 pm
For version '2', Tip up with a CBBL

Would be cool (though the linerlock is just great), but I don't think a CBBL would fit into the handle if the Millie kept the exact same handle- and blade shape - ?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Evil D wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

This really sums it up:

Whoa! I had no idea they were so similar, here I was thinking the Caribbean was mid-sized and the Military was massive...
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:39 am
Evil D wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

This really sums it up:

Whoa! I had no idea they were so similar, here I was thinking the Caribbean was mid-sized and the Military was massive...

The Caribbean is more Para 2 in the handle and Military in the blade. It's a Goldilocks size.
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:56 am
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

The Caribbean is more Para 2 in the handle and Military in the blade. It's a Goldilocks size.

This is getting more and more off topic concerning "Military", but in an interesting way, so I may add:

If the Resilience will also come out in the "better" S35VN (and FRN?) and/or the Tenacious LW in that steel will get widely available (I have one already, absolutely love it!!) - what will this mean for both Millie and Caribbean?

Actually the Tenacious is handlewise shorter than the PM2 (4.38 vs 4.82), but with at least similar grip area and an Endura length edge
The Resilience handle again is shorter than a Millie (5.25 vs 5.5) but offers clearly more grip area and a lot more cutting edge (4.25 (!) vs 3.69)

So the Caribbean is right in the middle between Tenacious and Resilience (handlelength: 4.84, cutting edge 3.67)

Sure, the Caribbean might have a wider handle and less thumb ramp, which many seem to prefer.

On the other hand: Both Resilience (and Tenacious) have, like the Millie, the (for me) significant advantage of a linerlock (for outdoor use):
I put the depictions from the Spyderco site below:
Just by looking at the knives one can see how much larger and more conveniently placed the linerlock cutout is compared to the comp locks (linerlock: Fingers are naturally in the position to use the lock; When guiding the blade to close this is safer for the fingers with a linerlock due to the position of the fingers then)

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:17 am
Evil D wrote:
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Evil D wrote:

This is getting more and more off topic concerning "Military", but in an interesting way, so I may add:

If the Resilience will also come out in the "better" S35VN (and FRN?) and/or the Tenacious LW in that steel will get widely available (I have one already, absolutely love it!!) - what will this mean for both Millie and Caribbean?

Actually the Tenacious is handlewise shorter than the PM2 (4.38 vs 4.82), but with at least similar grip area and an Endura length edge
The Resilience handle again is shorter than a Millie (5.25 vs 5.5) but offers clearly more grip area and a lot more cutting edge (4.25 (!) vs 3.69)

So the Caribbean is right in the middle between Tenacious and Resilience (handlelength: 4.84, cutting edge 3.67)

Sure, the Caribbean might have a wider handle and less thumb ramp, which many seem to prefer.

On the other hand: Both Resilience (and Tenacious) have, like the Millie, the (for me) significant advantage of a linerlock (for outdoor use):
Just by looking at the knives one can see how much larger and more conveniently placed the linerlock cutout is compared to the comp locks (linerlock: Fingers are naturally in the position to use the lock; When guiding the blade to close this is safer for the fingers with a linerlock due to the position of the fingers then)

They're two of my favorite designs. I've said for years that the Tenacious and Resilience were better designs than a lot of the more popular models and they deserve more respect than they get. I'm really waiting for a full SE Resilience.
~David
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, Nuh Nups:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum!

Stay safe,

Mike
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:47 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:17 am
Evil D wrote:
Abyss_Fish wrote:

They're two of my favorite designs. I've said for years that the Tenacious and Resilience were better designs than a lot of the more popular models and they deserve more respect than they get. I'm really waiting for a full SE Resilience.
i love the resilience and would have a hard time passing it up in a better steel.

i may be in the minority here, but i wish the thumb ramp on the caribbean was a little more pronounced. i understand why it is the way it is, but my thumb doesn't feel very secure on it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Doc Dan wrote:

That is interesting. I would appreciate a picture showing the size difference. I like the choil on the Military, if I have to have one, and it is the only choil I like on any knife. I like that the Caribbean has no choil and now you tell me the handle has more room. This is getting better and better.

One issue that I have heard is the Caribbean has a very weak detent. Is this true? Is there a way to fix that problem?

I need to take a closer look at that knife.

I agree with you about the handle being a bit cramped. One of the reasons I prefer the Endura is because it has a whole lot more real estate in the actual grippable area of the handle for my hand. All I need do is flatten out that first bump and I am good to go.
Still pretty new here and to knives in general so take this with a grain of salt, but I have a Caribbean and can say that it's noticeably the weakest detent of any of my knives. It flicks open very easily which is nice, but on mine particularly, there's practically no "pull" into the handle when closing.

If actively trying, I can force-shake it open, but it takes a few tries. I don't know that I'm worried about it opening in my pocket by accident, especially since it's tucked into the corner of my pocket, but those are possibly famous last words.

I have seen at least one video on YouTube about how to strengthen the detent; making the detent hole slightly larger I believe, but I haven't done it.

All that said though, it's very comfortable in hand and is a beast of a knife, very solid overall. I have the SE Sheepsfoot version. It rides in the pocket about like the Manix I'd say; maybe slightly larger.

Jason
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

sal wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:16 pm
Hey Vivi,

I guess that's a good question. Eric was working on the 2" version. The original "2" version had a stop-lock and broke at a very high number. Then Eric worked up a "2" version with a Compression lock that he hasn't put into queue. Some minor design mods. One of our forumites, "Fireman" was asking for a Rescue version for which I have a drawing and a plastic model. He wanted a barb wire breaker, which we'e still researching. Baron Mind is asking for a Military with a different handle.

The Military model was a special knife, light and tough with a large blade. Good with gloves to open and close. Something that would be a good back-up for a soldier. I had originally planned to use it a a platform for steel variations, but we ended up making steel variations in many models. We did use it to offer the first CPM blade in production back in the '90's.

We would keep the original Military model in the line even if/when we offer other variation(s). I believe the design meets the original requirement better than other designs. However, newer variations may have a different requirement?

So, Vivi, since you started the thread, let's see what others, and you might want?

sal
Great thread. The Military is one of those Classic Spyderco designs
that has withstood the test of all of us/time. Anything can be improved But the OG Military is awesome!!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Jason Paul wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:08 pm
Doc Dan wrote:

That is interesting. I would appreciate a picture showing the size difference. I like the choil on the Military, if I have to have one, and it is the only choil I like on any knife. I like that the Caribbean has no choil and now you tell me the handle has more room. This is getting better and better.

One issue that I have heard is the Caribbean has a very weak detent. Is this true? Is there a way to fix that problem?

I need to take a closer look at that knife.

I agree with you about the handle being a bit cramped. One of the reasons I prefer the Endura is because it has a whole lot more real estate in the actual grippable area of the handle for my hand. All I need do is flatten out that first bump and I am good to go.
Still pretty new here and to knives in general so take this with a grain of salt, but I have a Caribbean and can say that it's noticeably the weakest detent of any of my knives. It flicks open very easily which is nice, but on mine particularly, there's practically no "pull" into the handle when closing.

If actively trying, I can force-shake it open, but it takes a few tries. I don't know that I'm worried about it opening in my pocket by accident, especially since it's tucked into the corner of my pocket, but those are possibly famous last words.

I have seen at least one video on YouTube about how to strengthen the detent; making the detent hole slightly larger I believe, but I haven't done it.

All that said though, it's very comfortable in hand and is a beast of a knife, very solid overall. I have the SE Sheepsfoot version. It rides in the pocket about like the Manix I'd say; maybe slightly larger.

Jason
That is what I had heard, but I don't have one to check for myself. Vivi had one open in his pocket carried the way you carry yours. Be careful.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

M Sea wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:04 pm
sal wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:16 pm
Hey Vivi,

I guess that's a good question. Eric was working on the 2" version. The original "2" version had a stop-lock and broke at a very high number. Then Eric worked up a "2" version with a Compression lock that he hasn't put into queue. Some minor design mods. One of our forumites, "Fireman" was asking for a Rescue version for which I have a drawing and a plastic model. He wanted a barb wire breaker, which we'e still researching. Baron Mind is asking for a Military with a different handle.

The Military model was a special knife, light and tough with a large blade. Good with gloves to open and close. Something that would be a good back-up for a soldier. I had originally planned to use it a a platform for steel variations, but we ended up making steel variations in many models. We did use it to offer the first CPM blade in production back in the '90's.

We would keep the original Military model in the line even if/when we offer other variation(s). I believe the design meets the original requirement better than other designs. However, newer variations may have a different requirement?

So, Vivi, since you started the thread, let's see what others, and you might want?

sal
Great thread. The Military is one of those Classic Spyderco designs
that has withstood the test of all of us/time. Anything can be improved But the OG Military is awesome!!
The Millie is a great knife, for a fact. It is really one of only two liner locks that I like. I am not a liner lock fan. There is a lot of history behind that, too. The Millie seems better than most, though. I love the overall design of the knife. The grip area could be larger, though. Like a few more of the forumites, I have 2 XL glove hands.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Way back in 2016 I did a thread on why I think the Endura beats the Military (there are ways the Millie beats the Endura). I noted back then some of the things we are discussing now, such as grip area. viewtopic.php?t=71406

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

In a lot of ways the Police 4 answers many of the issues brought up with the Military. I kinda wish it had more of a pommel shape at the butt of the handle like the Military has, but then that also just makes the handle more roomy for even bigger hands. I'm really holding out for a full SE Police 4, that's gonna be a monster of a knife.
~David