Sal - What's next for the Military?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
awa54

Re: Sal - What's next for the Military?

Post by awa54 »

I have all the Millies I need, but if I was in a buying mood any of the toughness oriented steels would be attractive (MagnaCut, AEB-L, 4V, 3V would be my preference in that order).

For everything under 3.5" I'm a tip-up carry guy, but in 3.5"+ I find that I prefer tip-down like the existing Military has, so no 4-position clip is required for me.

...so basically, I like it the way it is, but appropriate and/or new steels are always good.

Sal, if you sell just the MagnaCut blade I'll buy one for sure and swap into my fluted Ti scales (mostly kidding, but it *would* be hard to resist!).
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

sal wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:16 pm
Hey Vivi,

I guess that's a good question. Eric was working on the 2" version. The original "2" version had a stop-lock and broke at a very high number. Then Eric worked up a "2" version with a Compression lock that he hasn't put into queue. Some minor design mods. One of our forumites, "Fireman" was asking for a Rescue version for which I have a drawing and a plastic model. He wanted a barb wire breaker, which we'e still researching. Baron Mind is asking for a Military with a different handle.

The Military model was a special knife, light and tough with a large blade. Good with gloves to open and close. Something that would be a good back-up for a soldier. I had originally planned to use it a a platform for steel variations, but we ended up making steel variations in many models. We did use it to offer the first CPM blade in production back in the '90's.

We would keep the original Military model in the line even if/when we offer other variation(s). I believe the design meets the original requirement better than other designs. However, newer variations may have a different requirement?

So, Vivi, since you started the thread, let's see what others, and you might want?

sal
Thank you Sal!

I'm looking forward to Military 2 with compression lock, and I'm really happy that the original Military stays in line - it's my favorite knife.
Let original Military live!
Military forever y'all! :)
brj

Post by brj »

The Military is my favorite knife. I have around 25 of them and have been carrying one everyday since 2007 (except on beach days, where a Pacific Salt has been my go to also since 2007). Basically, I'd like to see any new steel, although if a LC200N version would come out most likely I'm gonna stop buying knives altogether :) .

I'm also open to new locks, the more ambidextrous the better (would love to see a BBL or a CBBL with a non-plastic cage).

What Spyderco should keep on the new version(s) (otherwise it'll turn into showstopper for me):
- open back / pillar construction. Looks great, works great for flushing out lint or dirt, and if you wash it it'll dry up almost instantly (less chances of rust).
- the tip should stay as is. Never broke the tip on any of my Millies and I have not been babysitting them either (although I haven't been popping open cans of paint with it when I had the flat screwdriver on my Victorinox equally handy).
- the choil should stay as is. I really really don't like Spyderco's choil as implemented on the Para family and Native Chief, to me a grip-agnostic kind of handle is way better than one that forces your hand in any particular grip - and the shallower choil on the current Military allows for more grip options and smooth transition between them. Oh, I also think the flared end should stay, it helps locking in the rear grip.

My 0.02 eurocents :)

Good to hear that the 'original Mule' will see some action in the coming months
Last edited by brj on Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

brj wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:04 am
- the tip should stay as is. Never broke the tip on any of my Millies and I have not been babystitting them either (although I haven't been popping open cans of paint with it when I had the flat screwdriver on my Victorinox equally handy).

That´s good to know!

I actually also never damaged the tip on my Millie, but I only had one and did use it a lot, but not as much as other knives I had/have a lot longer.
I just always felt I should be careful with the tip, which hindered me from working really fast and carelessly if this would have been required.
But probably I was overly cautious!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

I would ask that “diamond arc” g10 scales and a tool steel are considered. My preference would lean heavily toward Rex45, but I’d be happy with k390 or maxamet.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

As an afterthought, but a very important one:

Sal...can we keep this away from being an exclusive to any dealer, but as a regular production knife, tool/new steel and all?
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

nerdlock wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:22 am

Sal...can we keep this away from being an exclusive to any dealer, but as a regular production knife, tool/new steel and all?
With sprints and exclusives that sell out in a minute I agree, but that doesn't seem to be the case with the military. The Knife Works 204P was available for about 2 years. Everyone who wanted one had plenty of time to buy it and were glad to get it. If a business want to contract for 1200 of a Military in a given steel unlike many other popular models these hang around a while longer. Good for people who like this model. I guess that's why we don't see exclusives so often in a Millie. The stores want their return quick and not over months to years. Not having exclusives, especially in knives that don't see many sprints or exclusives, simply will mean less choice and availability.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I've said it before and i'll say it again - Crocodiles, sharks and Spyderco Military got it right from the start, hence (next to) no evolution is necessary or desireable :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

amateur blacksmith wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:37 am
nerdlock wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:22 am

With sprints and exclusives that sell out in a minute I agree, but that doesn't seem to be the case with the military. The Knife Works 204P was available for about 2 years. Everyone who wanted one had plenty of time to buy it and were glad to get it. If a business want to contract for 1200 of a Military in a given steel unlike many other popular models these hang around a while longer. Good for people who like this model. I guess that's why we don't see exclusives so often in a Millie. The stores want their return quick and not over months to years. Not having exclusives, especially in knives that don't see many sprints or exclusives, simply will mean less choice and availability.

That may have been true a few years back.

But now with Facebook groups solely dedicated to the Military and its descendants consisting of thousands of members, an exponentially growing number of Instagram knife "influencers" working hand in hand with dealers to build up hype and promote the sales of their Spyderco exclusives, and Youtube "knife reviewers" only concerned with getting views/likes/subscribes to make quick bucks and not really putting a Spyderco knife to its paces in making an informed review... those days of slow exclusives sales are long past gone now. Look at what Shabazz did to the Bowie. Practically all he did was just handle the knife for the camera, show size comparisons, and spout some nice words about the knife here and there and boom, the hype about this knife began and snowballed into crazy proportions and is the main source of grief for international afis in the other thread.

The longest exclusive still on hand right now, the Cutlery Shoppe Native Chief, will eventually run out soon enough and I think is more likely a victim of being the knife caught between successive drops of the NC S90V, Rex 45 and the rumoured St. Nicks 4v version.

Believe me, Spyderco will have a field day selling this knife if its in any other steel than s30v or its counterparts due to the factors I've pointed out.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think the only things I want to see are 1) a larger, easier to reach tab for the compression lock. That way no fumbling and it will be easier with thick gloves, and 2) new colors...earth tones.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Maxamet or K390

The Military is my favorite model. I just want more.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm still curious about the Stop Lock version, because one of my favorite parts of this hobby is the various engineering aspects of different locks and such. A compression lock version...I dunno, don't get me wrong it's a great lock but it also kinda feels "phoned in", it seems like a really safe bet and less adventurous than doing the Stop Lock or Power Lock or whatever. If I were going to move away from the standard version it would really need some attractive upgrades and I'm not sure if a compression lock and 4 way clip will be enough. I would like to see an ambidextrous lock, even just a back lock, and I'd really like to see the blade and edge length pushed to the max. I still think the Military is possibly the best model for bringing out new steels.

And as I said before, if I don't see a MagnaCut Military someday I'll riot. Not kidding, don't make me drive to Golden and stand there like an idiot protesting in front of the building.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
archangel

Post by archangel »

Much was already said. More steels are always welcome! I think we're indeed missing a Maxamet Millie. 2-3 years ago, Maxamet was THE hottest s**t it seems, yet it hasn't been offered with a Millie, and I don't get why.

I'm rather sure we will see a Millie in MagnaCut and SPY27 eventually.

Millie 2 CompLock is a locked-in purchase. Might be a good opportunity to launch it with Maxamet, or MagnaCut, or SPY27, but make sure to give the same steel upgrade to the original Millie at the same time. It'll find its customers. :)

I like the idea of a Button Unlock Smocklitary, like it alot, though I think it's pretty far out...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

The current iteration of the Military is just fine in my opinion. I don’t mind the tip down orientation on a bigger knife.

My wish is for different tool steels: 3V, Cruwear, MagnaCut, Rex45, K390, at good hardness.

Earth tone scales, Ti and CF are all good.

A new lock like a stop lock or power lock will be intriguing, but not necessary.
Last edited by Brock O Lee on Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
jdw

Post by jdw »

I know that there has to be a marketing reason but the complete lack of attention the Military has received the last few years is really disappointing. To me, the proposed CL version is not CQI but more about gimmicky marketing than actual need. I have never come close to having a liner lock on a Military fail on me. I hope that we see a new version soon but I am not counting on it.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
kells45

Post by kells45 »

I wouldn’t mind seeing contoured scales. It would probably get away from the original design but it would add comfort for using the knife without gloves. Serrated blade option in a steel other than S30V would be at the top of the list.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:10 pm
Following. Some great ideas going on in some recent threads. RIL with Micarta on one side with a K390, Cruwear or Magnacut blade would tickle me pink.
I honestly think that's the first idea of a knife design I've ever thrown out around here :p

The more I think about it, It would be a fantastic knife!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

I’d like to see a left handed military in S90v
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Count me among those that love the Military. Such a great knife! Easily one of my top favorite in use, in hand. It's so good.
I'm happy, very happy, to see (again) that there are no plans to get rid of it.

And while I have no issues at all with S30V (I will happily buy & use it, again and again), seeing some other steels would be cool too. That has become (for a while now) one of the things Spyderco is famous for, and that I very much appreciate about Spyderco.

u.w.
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

elena86 wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:35 pm
I love my Millies. My KW exclusive CF/Ti integral lock Millie in S90V is pure awesomeness.
I agree 100%! I had several Millies before I finally found the one. The R.I.L. on the KW exclusive is da bomb. I ended up buying a couple KW exclusives for backups just in case my EDC got damaged.

I don't know that the Military needs any CQI. It is **** near perfect as it is. The only minor improvements I can think of are:

1. The liner lock is great, but the R.I.L. is slightly better IMO.
2. The Military needs a Fully Serrated Edge release. The last Military to have this edge was released over a decade ago. Let's bring it back.

Here is an idea I have to get more Military knives into the hands of consumers:

1. There is lots love for the Military in the community. But I feel like there are fewer BIG knife people and a lot more LITTLE knife people buying knives. The Military gets left out a lot... fewer exclusives... less steel variations... fewer releases than we see in little knives. What if Spyderco lowered the number of knives required for dealer exclusives for the Military? This way dealers don't have to sit on inventory for long periods of time, but still get to release Military Exclusives. Or lower the number of knives made for Military Sprint Runs. I don't buy small knives and I imagine there are others like me. Spyderco has many customers patiently waiting on a new Military.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red