Sal - What's next for the Military?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Sal - What's next for the Military?

Post by vivi »

Fell back in love with this model and now I'm wondering what's in the works for the C36?

I know there's a compression lock version being worked on. Aside from that, is there anything you can hint at? 4V st. nicks run? Cru-carta version like the Para 2? Spy27? Magnacut?

Regardless I want to thank you for updating the DLC version to have liners and hardware coated. I haven't had any rust issues with my pre-CQI version, but I will definitely buy the CQI version sometime this year.
:unicorn
kennethsime

Re: Sal - What's next for the Military?

Post by kennethsime »

Following. Some great ideas going on in some recent threads. RIL with Micarta on one side with a K390, Cruwear or Magnacut blade would tickle me pink.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I, too, await Sal's response with bated breath. Subscribed.
--Jeremy
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Vivi,

I guess that's a good question. Eric was working on the 2" version. The original "2" version had a stop-lock and broke at a very high number. Then Eric worked up a "2" version with a Compression lock that he hasn't put into queue. Some minor design mods. One of our forumites, "Fireman" was asking for a Rescue version for which I have a drawing and a plastic model. He wanted a barb wire breaker, which we'e still researching. Baron Mind is asking for a Military with a different handle.

The Military model was a special knife, light and tough with a large blade. Good with gloves to open and close. Something that would be a good back-up for a soldier. I had originally planned to use it a a platform for steel variations, but we ended up making steel variations in many models. We did use it to offer the first CPM blade in production back in the '90's.

We would keep the original Military model in the line even if/when we offer other variation(s). I believe the design meets the original requirement better than other designs. However, newer variations may have a different requirement?

So, Vivi, since you started the thread, let's see what others, and you might want?

sal
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:10 pm
Following. Some great ideas going on in some recent threads. RIL with Micarta on one side with a K390, Cruwear or Magnacut blade would tickle me pink.
+1. Love this idea. Although just a standard linerlock cru-carta version would make me very happy, too.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I don't know if the Military needs new features, but it feels forgotten with all of these new steel variations we've been seeing in other models.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Sal,

I'd just like to see a new Military released sometime in the near future. I don't want to see the original Military changed at all - I just want a new sprint/exclusive. If I could take my pick, I'd probably ask for one in K390 or 4V or 3V.

Also, will we ever see one in Maxamet?
--Jeremy
vivi

Post by vivi »

p_atrick wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:36 pm
I don't know if the Military needs new features, but it feels forgotten with all of these new steel variations we've been seeing in other models.
I'm mainly curious about sprint steels. While S30V works just fine for me as an EDC, I'm still interested in trying something new to me. Magnacut, Spy27, 4V, etc.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

It's vivi's thread and Sal has kindly asked for vivi's suggestions, but if I may be allowed to chime in for the "2" version...how about a button-compression lock a-la Smock/ PM2 Ultra and 4 way clip position to make it truly ambidextrous?
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

vivi wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:40 pm
I'm mainly curious about sprint steels. While S30V works just fine for me as an EDC, I'm still interested in trying something new to me. Magnacut, Spy27, 4V, etc.
The Military has been around a long time, so it's been done in a bunch of sprint steels already. That said, SPY27 and S45VN are new. They could release a ZWear sprint for all those people who love CruWear but didn't get one before.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

vivi wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:40 pm
p_atrick wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:36 pm

Agreed! Let's some some new stuff. The Military feels very neglected the past few years. Let's see some Z-Wear, PD-1, CPM-3V, CPM-4V, AEB-L, CPM-MagnaCut, etc. Heck even a new SPY27 or S45VN would be welcome at this point!

And a Cru-carta is always at the forefront of my mind of course... ;)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

Some K390 or Cruwear would be very popular with fans of this knife. I Agree with 90% of military people - just leave the design as it is. There's a million knives out there. If the Military doesn't suit you, or you want something it doesn't have, go buy something else. Adding gimmicky extras will detract from appeal not add. That's my view anyway. The Military frame lock/liner lock are perfect for most that like this model.
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:16 pm
Hey Vivi,

I guess that's a good question. Eric was working on the 2" version. The original "2" version had a stop-lock and broke at a very high number. Then Eric worked up a "2" version with a Compression lock that he hasn't put into queue. Some minor design mods. One of our forumites, "Fireman" was asking for a Rescue version for which I have a drawing and a plastic model. He wanted a barb wire breaker, which we'e still researching. Baron Mind is asking for a Military with a different handle.

The Military model was a special knife, light and tough with a large blade. Good with gloves to open and close. Something that would be a good back-up for a soldier. I had originally planned to use it a a platform for steel variations, but we ended up making steel variations in many models. We did use it to offer the first CPM blade in production back in the '90's.

We would keep the original Military model in the line even if/when we offer other variation(s). I believe the design meets the original requirement better than other designs. However, newer variations may have a different requirement?

So, Vivi, since you started the thread, let's see what others, and you might want?

sal
Sal,

Thank you for such an informative reply, and so fast too!

For a long time I had two things I wanted to see in a Military 2.

1. Four way clip
2. Different lock

These days I find myself perfectly content with the clip position as is, but I think a four way clip would help broaden the models appeal.

Now on to the lock. When the Para 2 came out I was very enthusiastic about that lock, and wanted a Military with a compression lock.

Over the years I had some issues with detent based locks, so then I became interested in a lock with a stronger closing bias. Lockback, CBBL, or potentially the stop lock.

Like with the clip, I've grown to be content with the liner lock. I would still view using a lock with a stronger closing bias as an improvement, but not if it comes at the expense of weight or ease of use. Those are two of the defining features of the model, as you wrote.

I'm primarily interested in new steels for the model. With the DLC version having coated hardware & liners, the idea of a DLC tool steel run appeals to me very much.

My M4 Manix XL has coated hardware & liners, and it has proven itself useful at keeping the pivot corrosion free.

This configuration makes it much more practical for me to EDC these interesting cutting edge steels with low corrosion resistance. Blades are not difficult to keep rust free in my experience, but pivots, hardwareand liners are.

Given a choice to choose the next Military sprint, I'd like to see Magnacut satin finished or 4V DLC.

Given a chance to design a Military 2, I'd be interested in a four way clip and a lock with a stronger closing bias, as long as weight does not increase and gloved operation remains effortless. I also wonder if a deeper index choil like the Para 2 and Chief would be better?

The Military is the model that made me fall in love with Spyderco. It's a fantastic design just the way it is, and today there isn't any other design I'd rather have in my pocket.

There are individual things I like better about the Police, Chief and Manix XL, but viewed as a complete package the Military holds its own.
Last edited by vivi on Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Honestly I don’t mind the current build at all. My only wants are a four way clip and more steel options. Seems like a good design for tougher tool steels like rex45, I wouldn’t complain if that became a permanent rex45 fixture.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

- First and foremost I am glad that the linerlock Millie will remain in the line up, even if a comp.lock Millie 2 should come out!
Now that I have my S35VN Tenacious and by that carry a linerlock knife again, I realize even more than before how great this locktype really is concerning usability in every condition and safety in operation (concerning how safe the knife remains in the hand, the "finger in the blade path" is something I never understood why this could be a problem anyway, especially in a knife with choil??).

- Perhaps differently to Vivi I love the shallow and short (especially in the blade part) choil
Shallower choils tend to feel less "safe", but usually shallower choils give me more control over a knife in harder cutting.
And "short" means more cutting edge.

- The one thing I´d like to see changed personally (but I know I am pretty alone with this.. ;) ): An a bit stronger tip
I find that in a hard use knife like the Millie one just can´t be always careful with the tip, especially when fast work is required.
I was always a bit worried about the tip on my Millie, and I think a "drop" towards the tip like on the Endura would still leave it pointy enough, but a bit sturdier

- Micarta would fit the Millie perfectly, as long as the knife would not get to heavy due to the need of full liners (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89494)
I totally love Ricks (TkoK83Spy) proposal of a Titanium RIL with Micarta show side Millie!

- S30V is a perfect knife steel for me, but if I could choose I´d vote for another Rex 45, and, yes, perhaps a "budget" version (concerning steel) in BD1N - this steel has just great properties when it comes to "achieve a great edge with very little effort" :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

... and yes, a tip up option would be nice!

- Or perhaps an aftermarket clip (by any brand) that could easily be mounted for tip up in the lanyard hole (I actually wonder why no one has put such a thing on the market yet... I think it would sell pretty well, since many seem to want a tip up Millie...?)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I love my Millies. My KW exclusive CF/Ti integral lock Millie in S90V is pure awesomeness. No changes in the design or lock for me. I would like to see a Millie in SPY27 one in Cruwear with black DLC coated blade and a salt Millie in LC200N also with a black coated blade. That’s it.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:35 pm
I love my Millies. My KW exclusive CF/Ti integral lock Millie in S90V is pure awesomeness. No changes in the design or lock for me. I would like to see a Millie in SPY27 one in Cruwear with black DLC coated blade and a salt Millie in LC200N also with a black coated blade. That’s it.

Still in G10 or FRN? (Funny I´d say this, since normally I am really an FRN guy: But in the Millie it would feel "wrong" somehow...)
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

vivi wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:09 pm

For a long time I had two things I wanted to see in a Military 2.

1. Four way clip
2. Different lock

Over the years I had some issues with detent based locks, so then I became interested in a lock with a stronger closing bias. Lockback, CBBL, or potentially the stop lock.

I'm down with a CBBL Military 2! I think it would be the ultimate ambidextrous heavy-duty knife, and would probably lure away legions of BM fans with the much more stronger CBBL.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
kobold

Post by kobold »

I would like to see the Military keep its present design and regularly issued with new steels.
Sprint runs, not exclusives please. Maybe two new steels a year on top of what is already standard production.
I already have S110V, S90V and S30V and at the moment I would buy at least three more - one in any of these steels:

Maxamet / Z-Max, Spy27, Rex45, MagnaCut, 4V, 3V, AEB-L, 14C28N, Cru-Wear, K390, M390, M4.

The top three being:

MagnaCut
Maxamet / Z-Max
AEB-L

More than anything though, I would like a fully serrated Military in a suitable (tough & hard) steel.
And I would like it with DLC for extra durability and protection. And I would like it to be regular production.
In an ideal world ofc.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10