Sal - What's next for the Military?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VashHash

Re: Sal - What's next for the Military?

Post by VashHash »

Maybe push the curve on the hump back a little to give more real estate. Not sure what gloves these were intended for but with thin dips I fit easily in the confines of the handle. With driver /leather gloves I'm using the choil for a more comfortable grip. I can "squeeze" my fingers into the handle but it's very uncomfortable.

wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Given that Sal has said the current Military Model isn’t going anywhere, I’m not particularly disturbed at the wishes, wants, and dreams expressed here. I might even get a Military2 with the right combination of attributes. Don’t know yet what they might be.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I would love to see Fluted CF on the show side and a RIL Fluted Ti for the lock side with Damascus Cladded S90V!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I was thinking back to my Army days. Sometimes I would take my Buck and use the pommel to pound in a small stake while building a shelter. I wonder if the extended pommel on the Millie could be made of hardened steel or Titanium so it could be used for light pounding? Then, it would really be useful.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Sal. Just read your post. A
coincidentally earlier today I emailed your guy about getting my original breaker to you guys. I just got it a few days ago. Was away for a couple months training down south.
AlexRus wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:01 am
sal wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:16 pm
Hey Vivi,

I guess that's a good question. Eric was working on the 2" version. The original "2" version had a stop-lock and broke at a very high number. Then Eric worked up a "2" version with a Compression lock that he hasn't put into queue. Some minor design mods. One of our forumites, "Fireman" was asking for a Rescue version for which I have a drawing and a plastic model. He wanted a barb wire breaker, which we'e still researching. Baron Mind is asking for a Military with a different handle.

The Military model was a special knife, light and tough with a large blade. Good with gloves to open and close. Something that would be a good back-up for a soldier. I had originally planned to use it a a platform for steel variations, but we ended up making steel variations in many models. We did use it to offer the first CPM blade in production back in the '90's.

We would keep the original Military model in the line even if/when we offer other variation(s). I believe the design meets the original requirement better than other designs. However, newer variations may have a different requirement?

So, Vivi, since you started the thread, let's see what others, and you might want?

sal
Thank you Sal!

I'm looking forward to Military 2 with compression lock, and I'm really happy that the original Military stays in line - it's my favorite knife.
Let original Military live!
Military forever y'all! :)
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:30 pm
I was thinking back to my Army days. Sometimes I would take my Buck and use the pommel to pound in a small stake while building a shelter. I wonder if the extended pommel on the Millie could be made of hardened steel or Titanium so it could be used for light pounding? Then, it would really be useful.

Not a bad idea at all!
But in SUCH a Millie I´d really want an a bit sturdier tip - would be a great, large hard use folder (YES, I DO think a good linerlock can take "hard use" ;) )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VashHash wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:58 am
Maybe push the curve on the hump back a little to give more real estate. Not sure what gloves these were intended for but with thin dips I fit easily in the confines of the handle. With driver /leather gloves I'm using the choil for a more comfortable grip. I can "squeeze" my fingers into the handle but it's very uncomfortable.

Interesting!

Can´t recall how this was on my Millie for my L to XL hands (in gloves)...
Anyway, the main "glove related" advantage of the Millie was the linerlock and how easy it is to operate then (as it is now in my Tenacious S35VN - I guess I´ll have to start a dedicated thread "plea for the linerlock": I feel it is very underrated and people assume it´d be "outdated", "oldschool" or even "unsafe" who never really tested a good one (like the Millie certainly has))
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really wouldn't blame Spyderco for not putting any more R&D into the current Military. For one, it's about as perfect as it can be without making significant changes that would really push it into being a new design, like adding full liners or adding 4 way clip options. I'm curious how that part will go because even adding skeletonized liners is going to increase the weight, and it used to be that the only way we could have a 4 way clip option was to have those liners, but now they're using the screw anchors embedded into the G10/FRN so it seems there's no need for full liners anymore...we could even see a full linerLESS Military in the future?

One thing that I'd take any bet that will be changed is the finger choil...it's very much "old Spyderco" in design. I think if you want a preview of how the choil is going to change, just look at the Paramilitary vs the Para 2, or to a lesser degree the Stretch 1 vs Stretch 2. The choil will be made bigger and more roomy with a more pronounced point separating it from the rest of the handle. I had my SE Military out last night and after about 3 years of not using one, it really stuck out to me that the choil is practically unusable, it's so small that my finger barely fits into it and it just felt strange to me trying to choke up on it.

What's really surprising is if you compare the grip area of a Military to the Caribbean, I always thought of the Military as being one of the more roomy grips but it's far more cramped than the Caribbean. Basically if you removed the choil on the Military and extended the grip out to the end of the handle, that's the size of a Caribbean grip. I guess that's why the choil feels funny to me now.

Wow...it's honestly a sad moment of clarity I'm having right now sitting here comparing the two as I type this. As much as the Military has always been one of my favorite designs, I have to say overall it pales in comparison to the Caribbean. Not only is the grip better for me but the Caribbean still has that "locked in" feeling that the Military has from the hook on the rear handle but it also packs just as much cutting edge in a smaller folded size.

So yeah...for the first time I think I've jumped sides and I have to say, you guys who want a Military 2 or whatever changes, go for it. I think maybe it's time for some changes. That's a hard pill to swallow :(
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

I think the design is fine. Removing the choil I can see that as an upgrade to a certain degree. I'm personally looking for the dark gray g10, stonewashed blade, and the word maxamet written on one.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Military is the only knife I like the choil on. Funny the differences of hands that we all have.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:35 am
I really wouldn't blame Spyderco for not putting any more R&D into the current Military. For one, it's about as perfect as it can be without making significant changes that would really push it into being a new design, like adding full liners or adding 4 way clip options. I'm curious how that part will go because even adding skeletonized liners is going to increase the weight, and it used to be that the only way we could have a 4 way clip option was to have those liners, but now they're using the screw anchors embedded into the G10/FRN so it seems there's no need for full liners anymore...we could even see a full linerLESS Military in the future?

One thing that I'd take any bet that will be changed is the finger choil...it's very much "old Spyderco" in design. I think if you want a preview of how the choil is going to change, just look at the Paramilitary vs the Para 2, or to a lesser degree the Stretch 1 vs Stretch 2. The choil will be made bigger and more roomy with a more pronounced point separating it from the rest of the handle. I had my SE Military out last night and after about 3 years of not using one, it really stuck out to me that the choil is practically unusable, it's so small that my finger barely fits into it and it just felt strange to me trying to choke up on it.

What's really surprising is if you compare the grip area of a Military to the Caribbean, I always thought of the Military as being one of the more roomy grips but it's far more cramped than the Caribbean. Basically if you removed the choil on the Military and extended the grip out to the end of the handle, that's the size of a Caribbean grip. I guess that's why the choil feels funny to me now.

Wow...it's honestly a sad moment of clarity I'm having right now sitting here comparing the two as I type this. As much as the Military has always been one of my favorite designs, I have to say overall it pales in comparison to the Caribbean. Not only is the grip better for me but the Caribbean still has that "locked in" feeling that the Military has from the hook on the rear handle but it also packs just as much cutting edge in a smaller folded size.

So yeah...for the first time I think I've jumped sides and I have to say, you guys who want a Military 2 or whatever changes, go for it. I think maybe it's time for some changes. That's a hard pill to swallow :(
That is interesting. I would appreciate a picture showing the size difference. I like the choil on the Military, if I have to have one, and it is the only choil I like on any knife. I like that the Caribbean has no choil and now you tell me the handle has more room. This is getting better and better.

One issue that I have heard is the Caribbean has a very weak detent. Is this true? Is there a way to fix that problem?

I need to take a closer look at that knife.

I agree with you about the handle being a bit cramped. One of the reasons I prefer the Endura is because it has a whole lot more real estate in the actual grippable area of the handle for my hand. All I need do is flatten out that first bump and I am good to go.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

K390, 10v, Satin or DLC for the current model would be great!

I agree that a tip up clip option would widen the appeal. I have been drilling mine for tip up carry but most people don't want to deal with that.

I'm fine with the liner lock, but a compression lock does seem fitting. FWIW the Framelock Ti/CF is my favorite version.

Here's my pair of tip up M4 Frankenmillies :)

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:35 am
One thing that I'd take any bet that will be changed is the finger choil...it's very much "old Spyderco" in design. I think if you want a preview of how the choil is going to change, just look at the Paramilitary vs the Para 2, or to a lesser degree the Stretch 1 vs Stretch 2. ...
Doc Dan wrote: The Military is the only knife I like the choil on. Funny the differences of hands that we all have.
I am totally with you, Doc! For me the Millie has the best choil of all Spydies I tried, together with Stretch 1 (not "2") and in a way Kapara.

Shallower choils usually give me more control and are still more than safe enough, shorter choils let the hand be closer to the edge when not choked up... and both Millie and Stretch have choils still long enough for my not really small fingers...

/ But, David: Perhaps for me the Carribean still could also be the "better Millie" if it only got the Millie linerlock. For me this sure would be an upgrade.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Works for me as is but I could see a bigger one being superior for gloved use.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:54 am

That is interesting. I would appreciate a picture showing the size difference. I like the choil on the Military, if I have to have one, and it is the only choil I like on any knife. I like that the Caribbean has no choil and now you tell me the handle has more room. This is getting better and better.

One issue that I have heard is the Caribbean has a very weak detent. Is this true? Is there a way to fix that problem?

I need to take a closer look at that knife.

I agree with you about the handle being a bit cramped. One of the reasons I prefer the Endura is because it has a whole lot more real estate in the actual grippable area of the handle for my hand. All I need do is flatten out that first bump and I am good to go.

Well...I really don't say all that lightly, because the Military is Spyderco royalty as far as I'm concerned, and for the most part I'm one of it's biggest supporters.

Ergonomics are hard to convey in pics but hopefully these help.

Military

Caribbean

With some light/medium/heavy work gloves:

Military

Caribbean

I've also lost 65 pounds, and my hands are significantly leaner than they used to be. None of my rings fit me anymore.

Also, it seems like me and Vivi have pretty much the same size hands.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:09 am

This really sums it up:

The other thread asking for a Military with a different handle shape....well there it is. Military edge length minus the choil and with as little handle as necessary.
~David
archangel

Post by archangel »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:49 am
The Military is the only knife I like the choil on. Funny the differences of hands that we all have.

My left hand is even completey different from my right hand! :eek: Thumb is totally on the other end and all... ;)

OT off......
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:51 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

This really sums it up:

The other thread asking for a Military with a different handle shape....well there it is. Military edge length minus the choil and with as little handle as necessary.

Yes, but still not with the Millie linerlock...;)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:51 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

This really sums it up:

Thanks! That picture really shows how much more grip area the Caribbean has. That is something to really think about. Like you and Vivi, I have small dainty hands. :p :D

How is the detent?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

Manix XL is similar. It's a big handle, but has less space for my hand than my Pacific Salts.

I've never run into a situation where the current Military handle didn't work for me. Even with winter gloves I've made it work.

I do appreciate designs that maximize the grip real estate. Its one of the reasons I find myself carrying my Pacific Salt a bit more often than the Siren. Both are great, and roughly the same size folded up, but the Pacific Salt gives my hand much more space.
:unicorn