Sal - What's next for the Military?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Sal - What's next for the Military?

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:45 am
In a lot of ways the Police 4 answers many of the issues brought up with the Military. I kinda wish it had more of a pommel shape at the butt of the handle like the Military has, but then that also just makes the handle more roomy for even bigger hands. I'm really holding out for a full SE Police 4, that's gonna be a monster of a knife.
I've gone back and forth between the Millie and Police for generations :D

They both have their pros and cons. I like how well the Police carries, the slimmer stock and lockback, but the Military sure has a nice handle and my favorite blade shape.

Either model could be the last knife I own. They've both served me well regardless of which version I was carrying at the time.
:unicorn
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:51 am
This really sums it up:

The other thread asking for a Military with a different handle shape....well there it is. Military edge length minus the choil and with as little handle as necessary.

The grip lengths at the fingers may be comparable, but I especially like the longer butt-end of the Military, especially in this grip with the thumb on the ramp. Smaller knives dig into my palm in this grip, which is ok for light use, but quickly becomes obvious during longer stints or harder cuts.

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
ArnAnders89

Post by ArnAnders89 »

I’m just finding this thread and will add my 2 cents as the Military was my first introduction to spyderco and still is my favorite model.
I like the military as is and would just like to see more exclusives and sprints ( I have a s110v, s90v, cru-wear, Rex 45, and Rex 45 is my favorite hands down and I wouldn’t complain about seeing another run of those either)

But I think just like most people have said my top 3 would be Maxamet/Zmax, Magnacut, or a DLC 4v!

And for the “military 2” just like vivi has said I don’t want a lock change that takes away from how light it currently is or how easy it is to deploy, so my choice would be probably the compression lock or ball bearing lock. After trying the chief I don’t think a lockback would be good. And as for scale materials I’m good with g10 or micarta either way I’d be cool with.

Just my 2 cents on my favorite spyderco model and the knife that made me a spyderco fan for life and brought me into this badass little community and sparked my interest in steels and sharpening knives.

Thanks, sal. You the man
Also like to thank Triple B known as Deadboxhero on here because that man played in integral roll in my fascination and interest in steel sharpening and knife making/makers. Thanks big man
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ArnAnders89 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:33 pm
And for the “military 2” just like vivi has said I don’t want a lock change that takes away from how light it currently is or how easy it is to deploy, so my choice would be probably the compression lock or ball bearing lock. After trying the chief I don’t think a lockback would be good....
I think you can call yourself lucky, since the Millie 2 will have a comp.lock.. ;)

/ What I don't understand though: How would a "backlock take away from how light the Millie is"??
A backlock actually allows for very light folders, I think Spydercos lightest are backlocks... (DFly, Salt 2 ffg, the linered Delica 4 is lighter than the linerless Para 3 LW while having about the same size...)
What a backlock is not good in: Allowing for a tall blade in a given handle.

But a backlock is easy to deploy and for me generally a better choice concerning operation in harsher conditions than a comp.lock (for me only the current Millie linerlock is even better there)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

One huge advantage to a back lock or CBBL Military variant is that it eliminates the need to offer a left-handed version to serve the lefties.

Even though the compression lock is inherently handed, lots of lefties can manipulate it “backwards.” A compression lock optimized for gloves and ambidextrous function would be ideal on a Military 2. The biggest downside to a back lock is the loss of flow-through clean-ability.
villageidiot

Post by villageidiot »

I find that the original sized Military is now my favorite knife ... black blade of course. I gave my father one when his hands struggled with other knives. That knife turned out to be his last pocket knife before he passed. Thanks Sal for big blades they do the work...VI
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Bill1170 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:59 pm
One huge advantage to a back lock or CBBL Military variant is that it eliminates the need to offer a left-handed version to serve the lefties.

Even though the compression lock is inherently handed, lots of lefties can manipulate it “backwards.” A compression lock optimized for gloves and ambidextrous function would be ideal on a Military 2. The biggest downside to a back lock is the loss of flow-through clean-ability.
Flow through cleanability is pretty essential for an ostensibly military destined product; being able to resist mud and dust without compromising the ability to lock / being able to simply blow out the knife with air/water to clean the action is really important.

Which really leaves the liner lock or the Comp Lock. Both the back lock and ball lock / axis lock are vulnerable to mud and dust.

Another advantage of the liner/comp is that it requires a less trained/strong thumb to deploy, as much less force is required to open the knife. All my muscle memory is honed from carrying nothing but Spyderco backlocks for 10+ years before getting my Military, so the back lock is no issue for me. But I've had friends less versed in knives / spydercos struggle to quickly open the backlock.

And of course, given the Police 4 is a thing, doesn't really make sense to offer a exceedingly similar knife also in a backlock.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

mark greenman wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:45 pm
Flow through cleanability is pretty essential for an ostensibly military destined product; being able to resist mud and dust without compromising the ability to lock / being able to simply blow out the knife with air/water to clean the action is really important.

Which really leaves the liner lock or the Comp Lock. Both the back lock and ball lock / axis lock are vulnerable to mud and dust.
Flow-through cleanability is an often overlooked and underrated feature not just in a "tactical" folding knife, but in any folding knife meant for serious work applications in less-than-ideal conditions. I'm fairly "lock agnostic" when it comes to personal/EDC use (though I love a well-engineered mid-backlock myself), but over several years of working in a warehouse (in subzero temperatures no less), I've settled on the compression lock as the lock of choice for my work knives (my primary work knife is a Yojimbo 2, which I occasionally swap out for a PM2 to keep things from getting too boring) almost entirely because of the flow-through cleanability aspect.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Really good points, guys. I think of the compression lock as the “other” and often “superior” type of liner lock. It’s genius!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bill1170 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:28 pm
Really good points, guys. I think of the compression lock as the “other” and often “superior” type of liner lock. It’s genius!

The comp.lock IS ingenious indeed... still for me the "regular" linerlock is superior in any aspect that counts for me... (totally personal preference of course!). No "comp.lock cut out" hotspot, much more natural and convenient to use especially in harsh conditions, safer in hand while operating.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bill1170 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:59 pm

Good points!

Discussed elsewhere: The button comp.lock. could actually be the type that eliminates the disadvantages the "regular" comp lock has for me and bring it close to a linerlock or make it even better.
vivi

Post by vivi »

can anyone that saw the Military 2 at blade show comment on how large the lock release cutout is compared to say, a PM2?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:44 pm
can anyone that saw the Military 2 at blade show comment on how large the lock release cutout is compared to say, a PM2?
I'd like to know that too! The larger the cutout and lock tab (and the wider the handle), the more I can live with a comp.lock.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Another thing I was thinking about....

If there's a Para 2 Salt prototype out there, that should mean a Military 2 Salt is possible to build.

Now, I love my Pacific Salts, but if they made a Military Salt, I couldn't see myself carrying them too often.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Maxamet and the Smock button Comp lock for me. I wouldn’t mind S 45V or Spy 27 either. The button eliminates the hot spot issue with the Comp lock and any steel besides S 30 V would be interesting. I have two Militaries now and they’re both Ti with S30 V. I would like a 3rd and S110 V would work or any of the other steels I mentioned but I keep getting diverted by other Spydies. If the 2 had any Comp lock and any of those steels it would be a top priority purchase.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
ArnAnders89

Post by ArnAnders89 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:48 pm
ArnAnders89 wrote:
And for the “military 2” just like vivi has said I don’t want a lock change that takes away from how light it currently is or how easy it is to deploy, so my choice would be probably the compression lock or ball bearing lock. After trying the chief I don’t think a lockback would be good....
I think you can call yourself lucky, since the Millie 2 will have a comp.lock.. ;)

/ What I don't understand though: How would a "backlock take away from how light the Millie is"??
A backlock actually allows for very light folders, I think Spydercos lightest are backlocks... (DFly, Salt 2 ffg, the linered Delica 4 is lighter than the linerless Para 3 LW while having about the same size...)
What a backlock is not good in: Allowing for a tall blade in a given handle.

But a backlock is easy to deploy and for me generally a better choice concerning operation in harsher conditions than a comp.lock (for me only the current Millie linerlock is even better there)
Nice I just like the fidget factor the compression lock brings to the table honestly 😂, and I think it’s a smart design I’m not having your hand or fingers under the edge of the blade when closing.

When looking up the weights I see the native chief Rex 45 is actually a little lighter than the Millie but in my hand the Millie feels lighter for some reason.
And to me the liner lock in the Millie is easier and more ergonomic to use in pretty much any situation that the back lock is on my native chief.
But those are just my experiences with both of those knives.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ArnAnders89 wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:18 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:48 pm
ArnAnders89 wrote:
Nice I just like the fidget factor the compression lock brings to the table honestly 😂, and I think it’s a smart design I’m not having your hand or fingers under the edge of the blade when closing.

When looking up the weights I see the native chief Rex 45 is actually a little lighter than the Millie but in my hand the Millie feels lighter for some reason.
And to me the liner lock in the Millie is easier and more ergonomic to use in pretty much any situation that the back lock is on my native chief.
But those are just my experiences with both of those knives.
Yep, the comp lock IS a smart design... but the "fingers never in the blade path thing" works just as well with backlock and CBBL.

I personally never understood though why that "fingers out of the blade path" is of any importance: Even with my linerlock Tenacious, which has NO choil (differently to the Millie), I never come close to cut myself when closing the blade one handed, regardless if I release the lock with the thumb or the index finger. WITH a choil I just can´t even more see any issue at all.
See this vids:

https://streamable.com/nygr5m

https://streamable.com/8z3798

/ As said, the very lightest locking Spydies are backlocks as far as I know... at least a backlock does not ADD weight compared to other locktypes

/ Agreed, a good linerlock is the easiest and most ergonomic to use, even better than a backlock and imho a lot better than a comp. lock.
That´s why I am so glad that Sal said, the linerlock Millie would stay in the lineup, even if there´ll be a comp.lock Millie 2! :)
FK

Post by FK »

Liner lock = GLOVES, much easier to hold and unlock = YES
Compression lock = Power Snap open/close,,,, fidget champ = NO

Regards,
FK
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

We have six months of winter here. I carry the Military a lot in the winter because it is easy to operate with VERY bulky gloves on. I don’t have any issues with comp locks except for that. Will this Military2 be as easy to use with winter gloves? Would a CBBL or Backlock be?

The Shaman is hard to use with these big insulated work gloves on. The Military is very doable.

It is also worth noting that the huge handle doesn’t look so big with that style of glove on.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

nerdlock wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:57 pm
It's vivi's thread and Sal has kindly asked for vivi's suggestions, but if I may be allowed to chime in for the "2" version...how about a button-compression lock a-la Smock/ PM2 Ultra and 4 way clip position to make it truly ambidextrous?
I like this idea...
"Some call me...Tim?"