What about the Endela

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jared

Re: What about the Endela

Post by Jared »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:06 am
Jared wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:22 pm

It’s just so close in size to the Endura that I usually just end up using an Endura. It doesn’t carry enough smaller for me to tell any difference in the pocket.

I kinda think it’s main advantage, at least in plain edge format, is it’s probably legal in places where an Endura wouldn’t be. However, if you’re legal for an Endura, I’d say maybe just go ahead and get the Endura.

That´s what I meant in my post too.. For me the Endela is not right in the middle between Endura and Delica, but about 90 % Endura, 10 % Delica. Not a bad thing at all, but as you said: The Endura is close enough to the Endela that one could really consider both and decide which blade length they prefer. Endura with a long edge, Endela though in the very popular pm2-ish, manix-ish handle / blade length range (though slimmer in carry than both)

Perhaps it would have been a good option to make the Endela handle a bit shorter than it is (there is quite a bit "dead space" left in the handle, cause the blade does not fill it to the end) to distinguish it more from the Endura and give it an even more compact carry.

Though as said: The Endela handle is a tad wider than the Enduras, and the ""points" between the finger guards clearly less pronounced. So this could be a factor for some too.
And, not relevant practically speaking at all: The Endela has the most harmonic looks of the three... ;)

The one thing I´d have liked to get transferred from the Delica and not the Endura to the Endela: 2.5mm bladestock. Though the 3mm Endela blade is still very slicey.
Right on with the PM2/Manix2 blade length and handle comparisons. I remember when the Endela came out I read the specs and said to myself “ok, it’s basically PM2 sized with Seki ergonomics and a back lock. Sounds cool.”

And it is cool. It’s actually a great design. If I lived somewhere where blade length had to be 3.5” or less and the Endura was verboten, I’d probably rock an Endela and carry on. As it is, I’m legal for the Endura and there’s a lot more Endura options out there (though the Endela is catching up fast).

Anyway, I know we’re mostly agreeing on the whole of the matter. I’m certainly not down on the Endela, I’m just a bit higher on the Endura, which is probably where you’re at too I think. I would have liked it if they’d given the Endela a bit more of a compact carry too, I think. Something to differentiate it more from the Endura model.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

I like my Spydies so much that I don't usually put them through hard work :o

I usually carry any of them and if I have to use them, I use them. But if I foresee hard use ... then another knife that I don't mind abusing, takes their place.

I like narrow blades like those of the Endura and Delica and bought the Endela thinking it was, in terms of size,"just between the other two". But when I received it I was (unpleasantly) surprised that the blade was wider (it has a well pronounced belly). So, since I didn't like it, it automatically became one of those knives that handle the tough jobs because I don't care about them too much.

A couple of months have passed and I am delighted with it. I have given it intensive use and it keeps the edge in an incredible way. It is extremely comfortable in my hand and is just the right size for any task, large or small. By the way, it is the VG-10 version. I've heard wonders from the K390 but corrosion is a problem for me.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

I got my K390 Endela basically just to try the steel. I prefer :spyder: s with finger choils, but I have to admit it’s really growing on me. We'll have to see if it gets much pocket time after the K390 SS Stretch drops.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Menipo wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:02 pm

I like narrow blades like those of the Endura and Delica and bought the Endela thinking it was, in terms of size,"just between the other two". But when I received it I was (unpleasantly) surprised that the blade was wider (it has a well pronounced belly). So, since I didn't like it, it automatically became one of those knives that handle the tough jobs because I don't care about them too much.

I think we´ve discussed this before, my friend, but I just compared the two again and have to say it again :) : I can´t find that the Endela blade is "wider" than the Endura blade! It starts at the exact same width, but since it is shorter it just looks to be wider imho.
Right, the belly might be a bit different so perhaps in the tip area the Endela could be a tad wider indeed (though I don´t think so comparing the two)

Anyway: Glad you like your VG10 Endela (AND actually use it! ;) ) - now get the SE version of it: You will be blown away by its performance... :rolleyes:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

With the same blade and edge length, I'll take the stretch 2. Nothing wrong with the endela, I just prefer the handle ergos and the finger choil of the stretch.

What I'd really love to see is a native in this size range. Split the difference between the native 5 and the chief in length. Bonus points if they thinned up the blade stock. Golden seems to be swamped with work lately, so I doubt that would happen any time soon.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:30 am
With the same blade and edge length, I'll take the stretch 2. Nothing wrong with the endela, I just prefer the handle ergos and the finger choil of the stretch.

What I'd really love to see is a native in this size range. Split the difference between the native 5 and the chief in length. Bonus points if they thinned up the blade stock. Golden seems to be swamped with work lately, so I doubt that would happen any time soon.

Yes, a "Lil Chief" = "Native 5 XL" ;) is somehow missing in the lineup. Should sell well!
The Shaman is roughly that just in length dimensions perhaps, but of course otherwise a pretty different knife (lock, blade stock, width, thickness, weight....) - another kind of cool.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:01 am

I think we´ve discussed this before, my friend, but I just compared the two again and have to say it again :) : I can´t find that the Endela blade is "wider" than the Endura blade! It starts at the exact same width, but since it is shorter it just looks to be wider imho. Right, the belly might be a bit different so perhaps in the tip area the Endela could be a tad wider indeed (though I don´t think so comparing the two)

Anyway: Glad you like your VG10 Endela (AND actually use it! ;) ) - now get the SE version of it: You will be blown away by its performance... :rolleyes:

Yes, we have already discussed it, my friend, and we are not going to repeat ourselves.

Let me put it this way: you know that "Cesar's wife not only has to be honest but also appear so." The blade of the Endela not only has to be stylish but look like it too. Surely the blade of the Endela is as wide as that of the Endura so both are athletes wearing a size 11 shoe (45 in Europe). The problem is that the Endura is 185cm tall and the Endela 165cm tall. So the silhouette of one of them looks like an L and the other doesn't that much (at least to me).

We have also talked about the SE. For the type of cut that I do most, I clearly prefer PE. I have used Spydercos with a SE (Dyad, Military) and although they cut great, they do not stand up to comparison with the mirrored edge of my Endura or my Kapara ...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Menipo wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:20 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:01 am

Yes, we have already discussed it, my friend, and we are not going to repeat ourselves.

We have also talked about the SE. For the type of cut that I do most, I clearly prefer PE. I have used Spydercos with a SE (Dyad, Military) and although they cut great, they do not stand up to comparison with the mirrored edge of my Endura or my Kapara ...

Sorry, I did not recall that we even discussed this in that detail... :o

But on SE:

Believe me there is a huge difference in performance between certain SE patterns: For "normal" tasks the more "modern", shallower, less aggressive ones are by far better than the "deeper", more aggressive type!
And looking at the SE Millie: It clearly seems to be of the aggressive type, a pattern I do not like myself.

But the "shallow" serrated SE Endela really blew me away in its performance, and that totally unexpected (since I used to think about serrations like you do).
And the good thing: It gets better and better, the rounder the serrations get from sharpening! :)

Perhaps one day you'd like to give an Endela SE, Caribbean SE or Endura/ Delica WHARNIE (!(!) SE (the drop point SE models of Endura and Delica are not in ffg) a try... I am almost 100% sure it would change how you think about "teeth" ...
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:17 am
[...]

Perhaps one day you'd like to give an Endela SE, Caribbean SE or Endura/ Delica WHARNIE (!(!) SE (the drop point SE models of Endura and Delica are not in ffg) a try... I am almost 100% sure it would change how you think about "teeth" ...

Part of my aversion to SE stems from the sharpening issue. I know that you have said many times that with the Sharpmaker it is very easy, I know, but I absolutely need a guided system. I am not comfortable sharpening without guides. When Our Lord distributed the gifts among all mortals, sharpening free hand with any type of stones, including the Sharpmaker, had already been distributed a long time before it was my turn to receive those that were reserved for me.... :o :D

So without my Lansky (previously) or KME (now) I'm a perfect mess. I recognize the virtues of the SE but I reserve it for tasks in which the edge has to literally bite. So the more aggressive the better. :cool:
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Still have to try out the straight spine Stretch but apart from that option it has beaten everything I know for favorite regular users.
Love the Endela!
z1r

Post by z1r »

Pokey wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:17 pm
MFlovejp wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:44 pm
I bought a K390 Endela and I really like it. It's a great balance size-wise and it fits my hand pretty well for how small it carries. Of course I love the steel.

-and-

The take home message is that it's a really well-balanced design and I'd recommend it.
Couldn’t have said it better myself, so I copied & pasted. :D :rolleyes:
I love the Endura but can't carry one. So, I determined I need an Endela. Went to the SFO today to get one but spied a Delica in ZDP-189 and HAD to have it, lol. Will have to get the K390 Endela next time! :D
Last edited by z1r on Wed May 12, 2021 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

The Endela is just the size I wanted the Endura to be before there was an Endela. For most EDC I still prefer a Delica but the Endela is nice when I want to bump up the size a little bit.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035