What about the Endela

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

What about the Endela

Post by gull wing »

How is the Endela selling?
When it was first announced, I thought about getting one, but so many others distracted me. :)
How do you like yours?
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
MFlovejp

Re: What about the Endela

Post by MFlovejp »

I bought a K390 Endela and I really like it. It's a great balance size-wise and it fits my hand pretty well for how small it carries. Of course I love the steel. I would say that I'd much rather carry an Endela than a Delica or Endura, but the Police is still the best model for me in terms of hand fit. I would also pick the Endela over the Chief because I feel the Endela has a sturdier blade design with its stout tip. The straight spine Stretch, if I had one, would probably kick the Endela out of my pocket though. The take home message is that it's a really well-balanced design and I'd recommend it.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

It’s hard for it to stand out because it fits in so well. It’s an excellent pocket knife.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

I got a K390 Endela a month or two ago, and I really like it. I'm a big Delica fan (grooves fit my fingers perfectly), and the Endela carries just as well and offers noticeably more blade. I think it's an extremely competent, albeit not super flashy, knife. K390 is the bee's knees, in my opinion. Virtually perfect knife for my actual uses.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

It comes - differently to Endura and Delica - in ffg SE and VG10 - and with a perfect do it all serration pattern, and this alone makes it a great choice.

It is actually almost as light as a Manix 2 LW, but has liners and offers a tad more edge.

It is very slim in carry, has the "thinner" Seki blade stock (3mm) that imho is superior to many Golden blade stocks (3.7 ish), and for me great ergos (a bit wider handle and more mellowed out finger grooves compared to the otherwise very similar Endura handle)

Backlock is always a win and the best, safest and most versatile lock type for me personally anyway

Perfect EDC knife overall!

It should really get its place in the Seki Salt family (viewtopic.php?t=85893) and come in more handle colors.

One thing to consider: The Endura is closed not that much longer than the Endela, but offers a lot more edge to work with.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If not for the Rock Jumper and Caribbean..
Last edited by Evil D on Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jared

Post by Jared »

I have one and like it, but....

It’s just so close in size to the Endura that I usually just end up using an Endura. It doesn’t carry enough smaller for me to tell any difference in the pocket.

I kinda think it’s main advantage, at least in plain edge format, is it’s probably legal in places where an Endura wouldn’t be. However, if you’re legal for an Endura, I’d say maybe just go ahead and get the Endura.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I like mine better than an endura
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I'd love to have a liner-less, LC200N, Salt version of it. I like the size, but I've had too many bad experiences with clip screws that mount to the thin liners in most Spyderco knives of such arrangement.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

MFlovejp wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:44 pm
I bought a K390 Endela and I really like it. It's a great balance size-wise and it fits my hand pretty well for how small it carries. Of course I love the steel.

-and-

The take home message is that it's a really well-balanced design and I'd recommend it.
Couldn’t have said it better myself, so I copied & pasted. :D :rolleyes:
TomH

Post by TomH »

I like the size.
I'd like to see an Emerson opener hawkbill and/or wharncliff version.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Ooooh wharnie Endela.... brilliant idea!
TomH

Post by TomH »

Thanks. This sized blade just fits me better than the Endura or Delica, so it's a no brainer for me.

I'd like see the Emerson opener on either one of these blade shapes. There's no "waved" wharnie and the only "waved" hawkbill is the Karahawk.
RLR

Post by RLR »

PE / SS handle = dream :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jared wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:22 pm

It’s just so close in size to the Endura that I usually just end up using an Endura. It doesn’t carry enough smaller for me to tell any difference in the pocket.

I kinda think it’s main advantage, at least in plain edge format, is it’s probably legal in places where an Endura wouldn’t be. However, if you’re legal for an Endura, I’d say maybe just go ahead and get the Endura.

That´s what I meant in my post too.. For me the Endela is not right in the middle between Endura and Delica, but about 90 % Endura, 10 % Delica. Not a bad thing at all, but as you said: The Endura is close enough to the Endela that one could really consider both and decide which blade length they prefer. Endura with a long edge, Endela though in the very popular pm2-ish, manix-ish handle / blade length range (though slimmer in carry than both)

Perhaps it would have been a good option to make the Endela handle a bit shorter than it is (there is quite a bit "dead space" left in the handle, cause the blade does not fill it to the end) to distinguish it more from the Endura and give it an even more compact carry.

Though as said: The Endela handle is a tad wider than the Enduras, and the ""points" between the finger guards clearly less pronounced. So this could be a factor for some too.
And, not relevant practically speaking at all: The Endela has the most harmonic looks of the three... ;)

The one thing I´d have liked to get transferred from the Delica and not the Endura to the Endela: 2.5mm bladestock. Though the 3mm Endela blade is still very slicey.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
AHarbuck

Post by AHarbuck »

Have been using the k390 version for a few months and it’s now one of my favorites. The Endela/PM2 blade length is just right for my uses and I much prefer the Endela’s blade design, esp in the stock thickness and tip geometry categories. The PM2 handle slightly fits my hand better, but not enough to make a big difference. Curious that, as the Delica handle fits me like a glove.

If you like that length blade and the Seki design, it’s definitely worth a try.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Ive had all of the popular golden and seki models and have probably had 100+ different spyderco folders pass through my hands over the years as my tastes have evolved. The Endela is my favorite model. I have a VG10 and K390 and one of these is in my pocket 99% of the time. It is perfection.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I love my K390 Endela! I wasn't sure what I would think of it since I'm not normally a frn fan, and more times than not I prefer a finger choil. Besides the color of the scales, this knife has blown me away with comfort/ergos and the steel as well. I think of it like a backlock PM2 in a way I guess?? Though I strongly prefer the Endela!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Thank You!
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

As others have said, he K390 Endela is one of the best all around user Knives you can get currently.

I like to view it this way, as far as size is concerned.

The Delica is to the Endura what the Endela is to the Police 4 (choil and a few handle contours aside). It could have easily been made with a choil and labeled a "Mini-Police" but then it would crowd the Stretch 2 lane.