Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fireman

Re: Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Post by Fireman »

Stainless wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:53 pm
They sold out instantly of course. I just feel like for that amount of money I'd just buy a Spydiechef and save myself 165 bones.
Preach!
I blame Nick Shabaz!
(PS, I like Nick Shabaz vids)
Nick Shabaz is the best hype man since Lil Jon.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
thebard42

Post by thebard42 »

Stainless wrote:
They sold out instantly of course. I just feel like for that amount of money I'd just buy a Spydiechef and save myself 165 bones.
I have no dog in this fight, the saga has been interesting to watch as a fairly new Spyderco convert, but the takeaway for me is how good the blue KnifeJoy Spydiechef looks, and with this as a backdrop, it almost seems a bargain.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

thebard42 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:29 pm
Stainless wrote:
I have no dog in this fight, the saga has been interesting to watch as a fairly new Spyderco convert, but the takeaway for me is how good the blue KnifeJoy Spydiechef looks, and with this as a backdrop, it almost seems a bargain.
Lots of drama. My takeaway is ELM. European Lives Matter. ;)
NCC-2893

Post by NCC-2893 »

Nick’s adoration of this knife was a huge disservice in regards to feeding the scalpers. That said, his love of the knife probably resurrected it as well. I lucked out and scored one of the new ones. The M390 steel is what made it marginally easier to swallow the 400 tag. Nick’s never done me wrong so far in regards to predicting what knives I ended up liking and not liking. With the m390, I do intend to carry this knife and use it hard; because I will be the knife’s only owner. I don’t believe in having knives too nice to use, especially if they were built to be abused.
“I get on my bike and I ride off…on the grass.”
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

thebard42 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:29 pm
Stainless wrote:
Totally agree, also kind of got me looking at picking up a Quiet Carry Drift, as another apparent comparative bargain.
SpydieTerp

Post by SpydieTerp »

Only problem with any upcoming releases is that they will continue to sell out just as quickly until the prices on eBay drop near the level of retailer pricing. The other option is to ask Shabazz to maybe wait until AFTER the knife goes on sale before putting up one of his hype videos.

On related note, I'm not a manufacturer so I don't understand the strategy of artificial scarcity. To me, it's insane to know that there are people out there begging to give you their money for Product X and you willingly decide not to make it. It's not like GPUs where there are issues with raw materials and insane costs for fabrication plants. There's plenty of steel and titanium laying around. I guess it's good publicity for manufacturers to have "halo" products which build a certain level of mystique? I'd prefer to have the sales.
Current collection: Bow River, Chaparral Raffir Noble XHP, Dragonfly ZDP-189, Lil' Native M4, Manix 2 LW 20CV, Native 5 LW SPY27, Native Chief M4, Para 2 S30V, Para 2 20CV, Para 3 LW BD1N, Para 33 DLC CRU-WEAR, Para 3 Maxamet, Salt 2 SE, Shaman S30V, SpydieChef LC200N, Tenacious S35VN
Recent purchases: Shaman S30V
On the radar: Caribbean Sheepsfoot
Lost: Delica 4 LW (stolen), Native 5 LW S110V (kept by TSA screener / refused to mail)
Wishlist: Shaman Micarta
VS_Power

Post by VS_Power »

I really wanted the Slysz Bowie so I could show off to all my friends that I have the Slysz Bowie :D

Too bad none of my friends understand knives...
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Gtscotty wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:26 pm
Totally agree, also kind of got me looking at picking up a Quiet Carry Drift, as another apparent comparative bargain.

I totally caved and just picked up a TI Drift...
So it goes.
TKCSA

Post by TKCSA »

CPM-Greg wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:36 pm
Smart business sense to restrict sales? Fraud? Millions of online retailers have figured out the problems and have made money through international sales.
CPM-Greg
Hi Greg,

I hesitated responding but here goes nothing. From other replies it seems my earlier post has hit a nerve with some.

Thank you, as I am fully aware of the fact that global shopping is quite prevalent and easy. I have been shopping directly from overseas for a number of years over a variety of products.

I see that you have made an assumption that I want to apply my statement to all international shopping, which is not the case. Read my entire post carefully - I have never stated it is smart business sense to restrict sales to international customers, and furthermore have I not tried to present fraud as one of the main reasons for that. If you read carefully you will see fraud is something I mention amongst a list of others as a POSSIBLE reason or driving force behind the logic to the decision.

What I did specifically mean with my statement is the following:

The Slysz Bowie is a HOT knife that was going to sell out in a short space of time no matter how you cut it. For this release ONLY I have stated it is smart business to restrict international sales and I stick to that statement. It has even been enforced slightly by reading the perspective of most online regarding this knife.

Again, the reasons I have for the above view are simple:

1. Introducing customs into the transaction increases the amount of admin on the order - more time spent on customs forms on one order which could have been spent on getting two local ones out.

2. Many countries suffer from extremely high rates of customs theft and or seizures. This is a REAL concern for many international buyers. Just one order that goes wrong like this means a Knife Joy employee has to spend extra time again on admin for the insurance claim, time spent on the phone with the client, couriers, customs, exchanging emails. When two international orders go wrong like this, the amount of time rises again. It's Co-vid. Most shippers are slow and customs as well. Packages lay around and go through weird movements as can be seen reported around the internet from various nationalities. The risk for loss or theft is HIGH.

3. As can also be seen in a variety of places online, customers after this specific model and exlusive releases in general are often some of the more emotional, demanding and entitled customers. I'm sorry, but I said it and I am certain that plays a role to some extent whether it is a popular opinion or not. Dealing with an international customer who wants to return the knife due to the "incorrect shade of anodizing" is also a reality and something that absorbs paid working time.

For a run of under a 1000 knives which can sell locally without hesitation, I maintain it was smart business sense.

Besides, I am sure somewhere a customer would have also been upset with Knife Joy for opening up to international buyers and not giving loyal local customers a better chance of securing one.
makawakaroni

Post by makawakaroni »

I jokingly mentioned in february, when there was a discussion about exclusive blade shapes for PM2, that Spyderco is going to bring back the Bowie as an exclusive. I am not happy, that I was right.
I hope they are using the exclusive system to test the waters, but that is highly unlikely. I would have been more excited about it being a Sprint Run, since that can get to all retailers. I get that it is financially sensible for Spyderco to do these exclusive runs, but soon anything that is remotely interesting, is going to be an exclusive.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

TKCSA wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:29 pm
CPM-Greg wrote:
Smart business sense to restrict sales? Fraud? Millions of online retailers have figured out the problems and have made money through international sales.
CPM-Greg
Hi Greg,

I hesitated responding but here goes nothing. From other replies it seems my earlier post has hit a nerve with some.

Thank you, as I am fully aware of the fact that global shopping is quite prevalent and easy. I have been shopping directly from overseas for a number of years over a variety of products.

I see that you have made an assumption that I want to apply my statement to all international shopping, which is not the case. Read my entire post carefully - I have never stated it is smart business sense to restrict sales to international customers, and furthermore have I not tried to present fraud as one of the main reasons for that. If you read carefully you will see fraud is something I mention amongst a list of others as a POSSIBLE reason or driving force behind the logic to the decision.

The Slysz Bowie is a HOT knife that was going to sell out in a short space of time no matter how you cut it. For this release ONLY I have stated it is smart business to restrict international sales and I stick to that statement. It has even been enforced slightly by reading the perspective of most online regarding this knife.

1. Introducing customs into the transaction increases the amount of admin on the order - more time spent on customs forms on one order which could have been spent on getting two local ones out.

2. Many countries suffer from extremely high rates of customs theft and or seizures. This is a REAL concern for many international buyers. Just one order that goes wrong like this means a Knife Joy employee has to spend extra time again on admin for the insurance claim, time spent on the phone with the client, couriers, customs, exchanging emails. When two international orders go wrong like this, the amount of time rises again. It's Co-vid. Most shippers are slow and customs as well. Packages lay around and go through weird movements as can be seen reported around the internet from various nationalities. The risk for loss or theft is HIGH.

3. As can also be seen in a variety of places online, customers after this specific model and exlusive releases in general are often some of the more emotional, demanding and entitled customers. I'm sorry, but I said it and I am certain that plays a role to some extent whether it is a popular opinion or not. Dealing with an international customer who wants to return the knife due to the "incorrect shade of anodizing" is also a reality and something that absorbs paid working time.

For a run of under a 1000 knives which can sell locally without hesitation, I maintain it was smart business sense.

Besides, I am sure somewhere a customer would have also been upset with Knife Joy for opening up to international buyers and not giving loyal local customers a better chance of securing one.

Absolutely. If I had been in their shoes and had known that there were 1,200 customers in my city willing to pay in cash and come to pick up the knife at my store, I would not have allowed even online sales or the use of a credit card (and it would have saved me all the inherent administrative complications and expenses). I think we often forget that merchants work to make a profit and that profit is the difference between income and expenses.

It is also often forgotten (or not known) that some of the most famous American knife manufacturers prohibit online stores like KC from shipping outside the USA and Canada and that we, international customers, have to purchase from local distributors of those brands at the prices (usually abusive) that they decide. But it would never have occurred to me to call it discriminatory. I find it difficult to apply concepts like "discrimination" to business decisions and to think that the "right" to buy a product in a free market under equal conditions no matter from which part of the world the order is made (or even to buy it) is a human/civil right. "It's nothing personal, just business".

And all this is said by an international customer who cannot buy sprints and exclusives under the same conditions as American clients and usually pays between 30% and 40% more for the same knife than someone who buys it in the USA.

C'mon, guys! We are not talking about a dose of medicine that will cure a loved one's terminal illness. Nor of the ration of water that means the difference between life and death. We are talking about a knife. Of a simple knife that, as an object for admiration, can be replaced by another million more artistic things and that, as a tool, can be replaced by another billion alternatives (many of them probably more efficient and cheaper). We are talking about a whim and I do not think that we can apply to it categories that are inherent only to basic necessities. Let's not go crazy.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
TKCSA

Post by TKCSA »

Menipo wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:45 am
TKCSA wrote:
CPM-Greg wrote:
CPM-Greg
Hi Greg,

Absolutely. If I had been in their shoes and had known that there were 1,200 customers in my city willing to pay in cash and come to pick up the knife at my store, I would not have allowed even online sales or the use of a credit card (and it would have saved me all the inherent administrative complications and expenses). I think we often forget that merchants work to make a profit and that profit is the difference between income and expenses.

It is also often forgotten (or not known) that some of the most famous American knife manufacturers prohibit online stores like KC from shipping outside the USA and Canada and that we, international customers, have to purchase from local distributors of those brands at the prices (usually abusive) that they decide. But it would never have occurred to me to call it discriminatory. I find it difficult to apply concepts like "discrimination" to business decisions and to think that the "right" to buy a product in a free market under equal conditions no matter from which part of the world the order is made (or even to buy it) is a human/civil right. "It's nothing personal, just business".

And all this is said by an international customer who cannot buy sprints and exclusives under the same conditions as American clients and usually pays between 30% and 40% more for the same knife than someone who buys it in the USA.

C'mon, guys! We are not talking about a dose of medicine that will cure a loved one's terminal illness. Nor of the ration of water that means the difference between life and death. We are talking about a knife. Of a simple knife that, as an object for admiration, can be replaced by another million more artistic things and that, as a tool, can be replaced by another billion alternatives (many of them probably more efficient and cheaper). We are talking about a whim and I do not think that we can apply to it categories that are inherent only to basic necessities. Let's not go crazy.
Well said and I agree completely. It is easy to see why any business would choose to sell only to their hometown if they could clear all their stock that way :D
Bile Bob

Post by Bile Bob »

For a company that proclaims to hate flipping so much they sure do feed into it. 20 up on ebay then theirs this gem:

Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Bile Bob wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:10 am
For a company that proclaims to hate flipping so much they sure do feed into it. 20 up on ebay then theirs this gem:

Darn... I was going to buy it for $4,000 but then I saw the extra $7.70 for shipping so I’ll have to pass.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

This is idiotic to say at least. This exclusive is just a ''clone'' for me anyway. That blue handle combined with that satin grind is just ...meh. As I said, a clone. I wast smart enough to purchase two Bowies from the original release so I'm covered so to speak. I just buy my knives based on educated presuppositions and my decision to purchase a backup especially when it costs more than 200 USD has nothing to do with any youtube review. Speaking of ''influencers''... Nick Shabbaz... don't get me started ! But hey, it's not his fault ....
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

Decent knife, stupid hype.
notorious fidgeteer
CPM-Greg

Post by CPM-Greg »

TKCSA wrote:
CPM-Greg wrote:
CPM-Greg
Hi Greg,

👍👍 Did you get one? Wishing you the best.

CPM-Greg
Thinking about which Taichung blade to get next.......
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

In Australia the risk is LOW. I have bought literally dozens of knives from American retailers and have received every single one. My friends all have similar experience. At least as far as Australia is concerned this is untrue.
makawakaroni

Post by makawakaroni »

Bile Bob wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:10 am
For a company that proclaims to hate flipping so much they sure do feed into it.
It is just talk. No company cares about flipping. Flipping helps them sell their limited, exclusive stuff easier.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

eventhorizon wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:33 am
Decent knife, stupid hype.
I'm thinking that's how I'm going to feel about it, summed up in 4 words!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick