Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Post by ZrowsN1s »

ugaarguy wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 1:10 pm
...Certainly KJ is reaping the rewards of this risk, but from here out they have to try to predict when demand will be met for a knife that sells for $400 as they reinvest some of that profit in each further run.
👍🏻
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

ugaarguy wrote:
All that to say, you're spot on. It's a huge financial risk for a single retailer to commission an exclusive, and that risk gets even bigger with higher prices models. KJ doing 600+ SBs that they have to sell all of is a different category of risk than MGE wholesale paying for a run of 1200+ teal S90V Para 3 LWs that can be spread out across all the dealers that buy from them. Certainly KJ is reaping the rewards of this risk, but from here out they have to try to predict when demand will be met for a knife that sells for $400 as they reinvest some of that profit in each further run.

Considering all the crazy hype about the Slysz Bowie over the last years, with 2ndary market prices continously double (triple even) the original price of the knife, I'm pretty sure KnifeJoy didn't take any risk at all.

So there's nothing to praise here from a consumer's point of view IMHO, there's definitely more milking than risking involved... it's nice to be able to buy an overhyped knife, but make no mistake, it comes at a hype price.
notorious fidgeteer
TKCSA

Post by TKCSA »

eventhorizon wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 12:48 am
ugaarguy wrote:
All that to say, you're spot on. It's a huge financial risk for a single retailer to commission an exclusive, and that risk gets even bigger with higher prices models. KJ doing 600+ SBs that they have to sell all of is a different category of risk than MGE wholesale paying for a run of 1200+ teal S90V Para 3 LWs that can be spread out across all the dealers that buy from them. Certainly KJ is reaping the rewards of this risk, but from here out they have to try to predict when demand will be met for a knife that sells for $400 as they reinvest some of that profit in each further run.

Considering all the crazy hype about the Slysz Bowie over the last years, with 2ndary market prices continously double (triple even) the original price of the knife, I'm pretty sure KnifeJoy didn't take any risk at all.

So there's nothing to praise here from a consumer's point of view IMHO, there's definitely more milking than risking involved... it's nice to be able to buy an overhyped knife, but make no mistake, it comes at a hype price.
I have to agree here, they knew from the start that they would have no problems moving all of the stock. Which I don't think is a bad thing - it probably played a huge part in them actually making the decision to go ahead with the run.

For a less popular or publicized model I do agree with the reasonings presented regarding the financial risk and impact something like this would involve for a retailer.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

eventhorizon wrote:
ugaarguy wrote:

The SB was released in 2014 with an MSRP $499.99. There's been 11% inflation since then. That would equate to an MSRP of $554.99 today, with a MAP price of $388.49. That's without even factoring in that steel and titanium prices have risen sharply in 2021. But $399.99 is a hype price?

"didn't take any risk at all". As I've explained, wholesale on these knives was somewhere between $277 and $295 per piece (very likely closer to $295) with at least 600 pieces ordered. That's an upfront payment of somewhere between $166,200 and $177,000 minimum. That's a lot of capital for a small business to pull out or borrow and be put into a single SKU that they had to wait months to take delivery on. Yes, the hype and the secondary market prices indicated that it was a good risk to take, but it was still a significant risk.
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:50 pm
But $399.99 is a hype price?

For me it is.
notorious fidgeteer
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

eventhorizon wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:58 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:50 pm
But $399.99 is a hype price?

For me it is.
Enjoy your alternate reality where inflation doesn't exist.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Are we really still doing this?

There IS risk in doing these runs, regardless of popularity. What is the actual market size? Can you quantify it, to an exact number? Absolutely not and that means, RISK...

On top of that, the overall market(beyond knives) is not stable. Anyone that is half way paying attention, can see that "healthy" is not a word that can be used to describe it.

At any moment that ravenous, "risk free" knife market could disappear. If a business is over leveraged when that went down, they would likely not survive the hit of a sizeable inventory of high priced knives, they can't sell(they usually aren't doing exclusives with just a single manufacturer).

Don't like reality? Well you better get ready, it's coming.

On that note, I'm going to check out of this thread.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Bile Bob

Post by Bile Bob »

Bile Bob wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:18 pm
I'm predicting 37 blue SB's get thrown up on Ebay the very first day.
Should have bumped that number up a bit. 42 on the Bay now. Spyderco Feeding the Flippers.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Bile Bob wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:35 pm
Bile Bob wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:18 pm
I'm predicting 37 blue SB's get thrown up on Ebay the very first day.
Should have bumped that number up a bit. 42 on the Bay now. Spyderco Feeding the Flippers.

It's not Spyderco feeding the flippers, it's the people buying them off eBay @ prices the Flippers are asking.
Danke

Post by Danke »

eventhorizon wrote:
ugaarguy wrote:

The good news is that no one's forcing you to buy it. What a relief.

Maybe one of the big dealers in the EU can commission a run and sell it for what it's worth. What do yo think, hundred and fifty Euros fair?
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

Danke wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 9:07 am
eventhorizon wrote:
ugaarguy wrote:

Maybe one of the big dealers in the EU can commission a run and sell it for what it's worth. What do yo think, hundred and fifty Euros fair?

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.
notorious fidgeteer
Danke

Post by Danke »

eventhorizon wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 12:05 pm
Danke wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 9:07 am
eventhorizon wrote:
ugaarguy wrote:

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.
Don't worry any longer Sport. I don't have feelings.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The horse is dead, we can put the whips and clubs down now.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Danke

Post by Danke »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 5:08 pm
The horse is dead, we can put the whips and clubs down now.
Aaah I think Leeroy needs something from this guy.
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

notorious fidgeteer
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

eventhorizon wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 11:29 am
https://youtu.be/h-8VKm8C8v4
It’s 🤣🤣🤣 video, the safe queen crowd are breaking their teeth out about now
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

...he just puts things into perspective. In an as always quite entertaining manner. RIP Cedric, by the way.
notorious fidgeteer
Cali HogHead

Post by Cali HogHead »

"That's where I threw the bin at you" - had me straight up ded!
knifemovieguy

Post by knifemovieguy »

Another use of pocket sand, Rusty Shackleford would be proud
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

eventhorizon wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 11:29 am
https://youtu.be/h-8VKm8C8v4
Started watching...but I just couldn't do it! Avert your eyes fellow anal-retentive knife owners!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.